Tyre socks and tyre chains :o

ddcboyle

Winter just gone, my car couldnt get up my hill lol. Well i go half way, was gna kerb alloys so drove down to restart, then got stuck in middle of my scheme.... 2hours of gritting

Why risk knackering your Zed then, snow sicks win't turn it into a 4x4 :lol:

Lol i know, just wondering if their worth buying so the zed has some traction

consider buying a cheap FWD or 4WD vehicle to use in the winter.

Coming from the tyre master thats silly and dangerous advice.

Germany is full of RWD cars. They dont all explode in winter. Winter tyres are a must 4wd will only spin 4 wheels if you have no traction and dont help you stop. So you will get stuck and possible smash into someone or something.

Winter tyres if your drving around in winter conditions. Nankangs SV2's dont cost much plus they last for years so dont cost any more than summer tyres. If you want something better then you can spend more. Plus snow socks are a temp measure and they will shread on tarmac and takes a while to put on and off.

I wouldn't suggest putting chains on the Zed but if you need that extra security the socks work well in snow. But once you hit clear road the socks will be eaten alive.

For our winters unless its crazy snow in which nobody goes to work, then I wouldn't bother.

I personally just work from home when the Zed can't get off/on the drive, That's my marker in which to decide.

Please explain to me how it's dangerous. Seriously, how is buying a car that is better in the snow due to the laws of physics dangerous? Not convinced it's silly either, but I'd much rather hear your argument as to how it could possibly be dangerous.

My other half's Pug 206 with skinny tyres is epic in the snow. Low powered and tyres that are all round but manage to penetrate the snow and somehow gain traction.

I'd rather drive that in the snow than the Zed.

Germany is full of RWD cars. They dont all explode in winter. Winter tyres are a must 4wd will only spin 4 wheels if you have no traction and dont help you stop. So you will get stuck and possible smash into someone or something.

Winter tyres if your drving around in winter conditions. Nankangs SV2's dont cost much plus they last for years so dont cost any more than summer tyres. If you want something better then you can spend more. Plus snow socks are a temp measure and they will shread on tarmac and takes a while to put on and off.

So basically 60 quid down the drain if i touch tarmac, might keep a set in car incase i get stuck at mates house ?

My other half's Pug 206 with skinny tyres is epic in the snow. Low powered and tyres that are all round but manage to penetrate the snow and somehow gain traction.

I'd rather drive that in the snow than the Zed.

+1 my gfs 1.1L 206 seemed to dance over the snow no problem! and theres my zed unable to even reverse 6 inches!

guy in work has these tyre socks. He swares by then in bad snow. I only have my fiesta at the mo and I've been through really bad snow with the car without any major issues. think the skinny tyres and lack of power help somehow lol

guy in work has these tyre socks. He swares by then in bad snow. I only have my fiesta at the mo and I've been through really bad snow with the car without any major issues. think the skinny tyres and lack of power help somehow lol

Yeah, skinny tyres work better in rain and snow, maybe i should wack some saxo tyres on the zed :drive1

Please explain to me how it's dangerous. Seriously, how is buying a car that is better in the snow due to the laws of physics dangerous? Not convinced it's silly either, but I'd much rather hear your argument as to how it could possibly be dangerous.

In April it snowed heavy style up here. I was running my 172 with goodyear eagle f1's. They are 195's. It is fwd. It was terrible in the snow. Understeering and abs constantly coming on even driving safely. Max speed was about 25-30mph in the better areas. I then drove my brothers car running 265's at the back and 225's at the front winter tyres on front and back. No wheel spin, no sliding, when braking the car didnt skid slide or pull either. I had taken the winter tyres off the 172 a week earlier as it was warm :bangin:

4wd will just dig into snow with the wrong tyres. I drove my uncles q7 in the snow once which had summer tyres on it. It was shocking. My aunties x type had 4wd it got stuck, cousins x5 stuck etc etc. My car when I had winter tyres was able to accelerate AND slow down safely. Also how does 4wd slow you down quicker? :shrug:

Also it could be dangerous as most of the cars that crashed 2 winters ago where 2wd or 4wd cars. Cars that braked but kept going through a junction and smash. Cars the even at slow speed couldnt slow down smash into a curb. You could also try to slow down or understeer into another car a reason why my cousins car needed a new door. Saw a fair few land rovers/range rovers getting stuck due to the wrong rubber. Also thinking because they have 4wd they could slow down and then remembering they are in a 2ton tank.

I'm not being funny but do you even get snow in essex? Come to Scotland when its snowy and you will see that most cars will get stuck.

If you dont think its dangerous then you should have no problems with mixed tyres.

:lol:

I think what people forget are it's not just one factor that causes poor control in the snow it's a combination. So one change whether it's snow socks or winter tyres will not make your car invincible. The biggest factor is driver control. If you dont drive carefully and think your little hatchback will out perform every other car on the road you will eventually get into trouble

I will be staying in my RWD skyline with winter tyres- IF I feel it's safe to do so. A lot of people say winter tyres are a waste of money. Go on YouTube and search winter tyre test and tell me if your convinced or not

:lol:

I think what people forget are it's not just one factor that causes poor control in the snow it's a combination. So one change whether it's snow socks or winter tyres will not make your car invincible. The biggest factor is driver control. If you dont drive carefully and think your little hatchback will out perform every other car on the road you will eventually get into trouble

I will be staying in my RWD skyline with winter tyres- IF I feel it's safe to do so. A lot of people say winter tyres are a waste of money. Go on YouTube and search winter tyre test and tell me if your convinced or not

I bet you will be fine on winter tyres. I will be running 4 rwd cars with winter tyres this year and I wouldnt have forked out if it wasnt worth it 1. for the ability to get around 2. to be safe whilst doing it. Honestly in snow or bad rain you will love having them and probably never drive again without them. :thumbs: