the 3 little .... ehm ... puppies?

ir_fuel

It has gone mad. My friend is a teacher and they have to call black boards - chalk boards and white boards - pen boards for fear of offence.

They are also not allowed to put a plaster on a child that has fallen over for health and safety reasons.....

It has gone mad. My friend is a teacher and they have to call black boards - chalk boards and white boards - pen boards for fear of offence.

They are also not allowed to put a plaster on a child that has fallen over for health and safety reasons.....

This world is too over sensative, what happened to the good old days when men were men, and Sarnie was a twinkle in his fathers eye. :lol:

I bet we are the laughing stock of Europe. :rant:

It all started a long time ago. Anyone remember the Gollywog on Robertsons Jam?

Now Now

You have to call them ragdolls or you will get nicked as I was told last year in a shop that was elling them in Bourton on the Water

Bought two of them one for us about 2 foot high and a little one for my grand daughter

Also last week a guy up north was nicked for selling them

It all started a long time ago. Anyone remember the Gollywog on Robertsons Jam?

Now Now

You have to call them ragdolls or you will get nicked as I was told last year in a shop that was elling them in Bourton on the Water

Bought two of them one for us about 2 foot high and a little one for my grand daughter

Also last week a guy up north was nicked for selling them

gollywog

A contreversial black doll popularised by Robertson jam, the doll was later found to be politically incorrect and manufacturing of these cute little characters was illegal. Nowadays, the word gollywog is misused to call someone of black skin (also see wog).

because the doll is black it MUST be racist, infact anything including cars and trainers that are black in colour should be illegal because they are racist.

See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gollywog ;)

Guest prescience

This is a difficult one; on the face of it, it's ridiculous to be upset by a child's toy but I heard a radio 5 live programme in Jan (at the time of the Hampshire guy and his exhibition - he was challenged to bring it to Brixton :lol:). There were very strong and informed feelings expressed and I, at the end, had a great deal of empathy that this if not offensive per se, at least caused offence - which was to be respected given the level and breadth of feelings expressed.

There is a line somewhere and I think Golliwogs are very close to that line; the Black and White Minstrel Show is very much the wrong side IMO.

This is a difficult one; on the face of it, it's ridiculous to be upset by a child's toy but I heard a radio 5 live programme in Jan (at the time of the Hampshire guy and his exhibition - he was challenged to bring it to Brixton :lol:). There were very strong and informed feelings expressed and I, at the end, had a great deal of empathy that this if not offensive per se, at least caused offence - which was to be respected given the level and breadth of feelings expressed.

There is a line somewhere and I think Golliwogs are very close to that line; the Black and White Minstrel Show is very much the wrong side IMO.

I agree that the black & while minstrel show is a bit weird, but why is a black kids doll offensive. If that's the case why isn't a white kids doll also offensive?

If that's the case why isn't a white kids doll also offensive?

I find them very offensive and vow never to buy one :wacko:

I didn't mean the adult variety with working orifices....:lol:

What a strange way your mind works young Kev, i'd never given that one a thought :teeth:

why is a black kids doll offensive. If that's the case why isn't a white kids doll also offensive?

Who said Gollywogs were a black kids doll?

Guest prescience

why is a black kids doll offensive. If that's the case why isn't a white kids doll also offensive?

They weren't of course - quite the opposite

They weren't of course - quite the opposite

A contreversial black doll popularised by Robertson jam