SUPERCHARGER NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Zedrush

Okay, my brother its abouts to buy a 350z, finally convinced him. He had as his track car a Saab 900 Turbo, spent about 18k over 5 years with Abbots Racing which produced 360bhp. It was a sleeper car and he P!ssed of a lot of people. :teeth:

He runs around in a Mercedes CLK 500 which is nice, so he will have a 350z as his weekend car.

He is planning on spending 12k on top for body kit wheels and most importantly a supercharger. :scare:

He wants to know which is better:

Vortech

or Stillen and where to get it from in UK fitted.

I know I asked this before but I have a brain of a goldfish :blush:

Vortech has good mid/top end performance but misses out low down

Stillen is great low down and mid and trails off higher up. + its generally a better all round kit

Abbey motorsport have fitted a couple of Vortechs

No one i know of in the UK has fitted a stillen, + it requires a different bonnet. . .

my350z.com is your friend too. . . .

Stillen is generally a better all round kit

No one i know of in the UK has fitted a stillen, + it requires a different bonnet. . .

that's the first time I hear the Stillen is a better kit than the Vortech tbh.

Stillen has major heat soak problems, MrF has got one (latest stage fitted) and his best 1/4mile was 13secs...

without considering the ugly bonnet bulge! ;)

IMO the Vortech is a better package

Guest prescience
if you get yrself an ATI, you love playing with fire (and your internals ;) )

Check out the TDI blog of that SC failure... ;)

I think this is now nolonger the case. The ATi is much better understood that say 12-24 months ago (rather like GReddy in the early days, it suffered with its reputation going before it).

The real problem with ATi is that it was shipped with no timing control, so it run with stock advance and this was a recipe for disaster. Now, couple it with a piggy back (UTEC, Unichip) to pull some most timing at peak torque gradually adding a tad more advance to redline and all will be well. Its in the tune :)

There are pros and cons to all units. Stage 1 Stillen has no intercooler and thus heat soak is a major issue - less so with other Stages. Then there's the bulge - but you do get earlier wind-up of boost than Vortech. But in a normal situation when you're on the gas (4500-6500rpm), you're in the Vortech boost range most of the time

At least one of the Stillen packages comes with an engine warranty - which may be a big plus.

Stillen is not tuneable - Vortech is; even although they both use the SplitSec box

heat soak is still a problem, in the stillen tbh, Mike has the latest stage on his Z and can't do a couple 1/4 without suffering from heat soak...

I have to admit I don't see many people going for a SC on the US boards anymore... they all go TT!

Guest prescience

I have to admit I don't see many people going for a SC on the US boards anymore... they all go TT!

True,but by the same token, there is a very high percentage of built motors. Build your motor and TT - that is the best solution of all at the highest £££

Theres alway the option of 75bhp to 100bhp shot of nitrous on std internals & ECU? Cheaper & easier & maybe less chance of blowing up the engine. (ps saying that I have seen a you tube video of the above happening on a qtr mile run in the US!!!)

Yep, went and checked it out today. Quite a nice motor. Had an interior re-trim in alcantara all across the headlining and the doors, and some 'luxury; floor carpet etc. Wasnt to my liking, didnt go with the tan seats, if they were re-done would look better. It has the Stillen on it. Personally i think the bonnet is F-ugly, very bodge, but ive seen them smoothed in and they can look good.

Driving it, to be honest, i couldnt REALLY boot it,floored it in 2nd and did seem to have a nice pull to it, seemed to smooth out the engine, seemed abit morelinear, but that could be the resistance of the super charger taking out the 'jerkyness' when ya put ya food done.

To be honest, i wasnt that impressed. It didnt feel significantly quicker than my own Z, though admittedly, i wasnt able to take it past 55mph and as it had a standard airbox didnt even get to hear any exciting whine which stillens are supposed to have.

Its gotta be a turbo. . . . . . .

Guest prescience

You didn't give it a proper test because there is no comparison between supercharged and stock performance - not at all :)