re trimming steering wheel

jumping350

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically then all I would want is the shell of the wheel with the centre plates removed to offer the exchange service?

I might cover mine in leather!

:drive1

have a look at redline goods, they show the wheel without the controls on from memory, the steering wheel doesn;t change regardless of what controls are fitted.

good work pete what you gonna do with the tan bits left over?? i might have em for mine if you dont mind

I miss read this.

If I refurbish the colour of the wheel remains the same, insomuch that the leather gets cleaned|repaired and re-dyed the same colour.

To take the old one off means it gets hacked to death, plus the leather is really low grade.

compared to what Redline are offering.

Just a matter of assessing what can be done with it when I get it.

:drive1

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Been at a post office 7 miles away since last friday and the postman never left a card. What a plonker and why so far away?

Anyway what to do with it lol.

I might refurbish this and keep it Alezan and Anthracite

However I have some leather so might cover that horrid silver centre with Alezan leather as well.

I might even do the top half Alazan thats if i dare put a lighter colour over the dark.

Someone is going to get a good deal on this one when its done:)

You 4got I won it on ebay and was just waiting for it to turn up.

So you didnt believe e when I said i sweated my rollocks off taking it of my car then?

Who was after the tan one anyway as mine needs to be Red but as the leather is in such ggod nick on this it seems a shame to spoil it

hence restoration.

Then sell it to someone who has Alezan interior.

B)

it was me after the tan one ..as much as i would of loved you to have i did remember you won it of ebay :lol:

Can you send me pictures of the one you would send me if i did an exchange service?

This one is to good to destroy.

And let me know how far you want me to go on this one so I can guestimate a price and pm you.

Looks like each wheel will be different.

I need to get another 6 button one for myself as i will have to buy the cover from Redline.

I am going Red/black and yellow piping but I might be repeating myself!

I can always get Taras to wrap the silver if needed. he did mine red and as i said thats mine on Redline's website as its the only 350 on there well it was when I last looked.

Let me see what the weekend brings in the way of locating oder-less contact adhesive!

You would have thought that old lag Smurf would have done that by now!

:wacko:

il upload a pic of one of the steering wheels i got, the oem nissan one i got is at my friends down south so will try get him to take a pic for me and heres the pics of the condition of the one on my car at the moment (could exchange that if you wanted?)

Im quite happy with that wheel as it is, a buff up and the silver bits in orange leather would do me dandy

il upload a pic of one of the steering wheels i got, the oem nissan one i got is at my friends down south so will try get him to take a pic for me and heres the pics of the condition of the one on my car at the moment (could exchange that if you wanted?)

Im quite happy with that wheel as it is, a buff up and the silver bits in orange leather would do me dandy

I will clean it and redye so it looks as near to new as possible.

Plus have a go at leathering the silver in Alezane.

I could do with one that has 6 buttons as I will keep that one for myself.

PM

It looks like a Great Dane has been steering your wheel with its teeth jumping350? as that leather looks beyond help.

A few pictures of the other one is a must please lol.

After finally finding a suitable donor steering wheel on fleabay its time to get started.

I was going to obtain a new leather cover from Redline Goods but one Jumping350 has decided he wants it in the colours its in now.

So here it is as out of the box.

DSCF0308.jpg

DSCF0311.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

1st thing is to completely strip it down so every part can be cleaned prior to the dye application.

This might appear OTT, but if you dont remove all the dirt and grime as well as the years of grease and oil from our sweaty hands, the dye would not adhere and would come on your hands on the 1st hot day.

Tools needed for the job are a T40 star shaped thing. and 2 screwdrivers, one philips one flathead.

DSCF0315.jpg

5 cross head screws on the back release the silver control panels and using the T40 remove the 2 large pan head bolts holding the airbag housing base and rear cover sleeve onto the wheel.

The whole thing comes apart with relevent ease and this is how it looks:-

DSCF0313.jpg

The silver control panels are fully interchangable by the looks of things so just a matter of swaping things around to suit your needs.

In this instance Jumping350 only has 3 buttons on his wheel and this clearly has 3 each side.

So just a matter of putting the blank one over what ever side is needed.

2 pictures of just how simple it all is!

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

The next stage will be to clean everything. Not tonight though :yawn:

heres the momo one , the spine looks the same...im guessing the plug at the back of the oem one is for steering controls (which this doesnt have) the other two plugs from momo are for airbag and horn

do people reckon this will go on ok or would need some sort of adapter still??

i think i had some oil or something on hands and seems to have eaten through it!! it is nearly 10 years on though too, im looking forward to results may just spruce up the momo and sell it on

couldnt you just retain the buttons then and put it on what ever steering wheel regardless of how many it had to begin with?

i think i had some oil or something on hands and seems to have eaten through it!! it is nearly 10 years on though too, im looking forward to results may just spruce up the momo and sell it on

couldnt you just retain the buttons then and put it on what ever steering wheel regardless of how many it had to begin with?

take a look at the pictures of the controls

The silver top is part of the cover.

You want yours the way it should be and need and it would mean that when i come to do mine i need to strip my one apart from the car

to cover the centr

By having a like for like one I can then refurb the one thats off the car and just replace when done.

So i dont loose the car for a week either.

B)

Slightly changing the post but still with steering wheels.

Are the centre sections interchangeable in so much that if I got a donor wheel

that had no buttons or just 3 on one side like some had.

And mine has phone and radio on the left and cruise on the right as in 6 buttons.

are they easy to swap over?

Easy guide please Graham

:lol:

I believe they are but you may have to change the spiral cable that runs from the steering wheel controls to the radio etc i.e i don't know if the cable for only 3 buttons has the "spares" to do the wheel with 6 buttons but I know a man who does now :pmzmanalex::)

So thats what the unacounted for wire with small spade connector on end is then?

Buff up!!! I am an artist Sir, :lol: not a vampire slayer!!

:lol:

I shall try to remove the buttons which are connected to the control box underneath 2moro.

But its no good because i still need a top plate with the correct amount of cut outs in it!

Plus that wheel is not salvageable except for recover only.

So I might get stuck with it!

Remember I have never done one b4 so am working completely blind:)

B)

Finally I managed to work out how the buttons come out :yawn:

If I have any hope at all of covering the silver plastic with leather they need to come out.

Just a matter of seeing if RT Buiscuit can make some stickers up small enough in white that will stick to leather!!!:)

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg