Rotational rubbing/click noise

hyeung

Hi,

I recently noticed an annoying rubbing/clicking noise coming from the rear passenger side, which I can hear at low speeds around 30-5mph. It seems to occur on each tyre rotation, however I can never hear it when the car is cold, only once it's warmed up after a 15+ min drive etc.

Again noise happens even when I dip the clutch down. I'm not sure if its relevant but there has always been some play in the rear pads - when reversing or going forward, I always get a click when applying the brakes for the first time.

And Visually the discs look ok?

If it was metal rubbing against metal, I would think it would happen all the time, even when the its cold. I assume if it was a wheel bearing issue I would hear I all the time too?

Any ideas what areas this could potentally be?

I've had the rear axle issue in the past and the symptoms are not the same.

The noise only happens at speed, the noise is obvious when it hits a specific speed range I.e 25mph or 15mph. I tend to let the car decelerate around that speed range and the sound is noticeable.

At the higher speeds of 25mph it sounds like a rubbing at each rotation. At lower speeds of 5mph, it's like click at each rotation.

So at low speed you can hear whatever is making contact once and at higher speed this becomes a rubbing noise because of the increased revolutions. Have you checked the metal brake disc guards at the rear haven't been moved/slightly bent, not usually known as clicking noise in fairness though :shrug: Failing that if you get a click when you brake then pads and caliper assembly worth a closer look :)

Guys....Thanks for all the input! :thumbs:

Just a quick update....despite having this issue for a good week or two, it would seem my problem has mysteriously fixed itself!! Had the car washed over the weekend (by coincidence), and since then there has been no more noise :clap:

The pressure wash may have done the trick. As you guys suggested, a stone may have got lodged in. I suspect some stone debri got stuck in the brake calipers or there abouts?

Anyways, hope it stays in good shape for a wee while longer :)

Thanks again!

Hung