cleaning suede???? advice

sparky370z

hi guys/gals,

in my 370, i have the suede interior on the grab handles. now as much as it looks lovely, it has started to look grubby. i try not to close the door by this handle but sometimes its a must.

can anyone give me some advice about cleaning it? and what products are good.

thanks

Just been doing some reading up and the suede on the Evo is a man made knit fabric to comply with fire retardant regs!

We need to find a boffin who can check the car spec sheets to find out if the Nissan is the same which I suspect it could be.

I know people who clean the real stuff with a block that resembles a rubber or as someone said eraser.

Then just gently rub over with a slightly damp microfiber.

If you can identify the material I will find a product Mark!

The rest of the seat is easy:)

Maybe our resident boffin Ebized has a spec sheet on the 370 and could find this out.

Bit limited to search capabilities due to speed problems with the iPad down in Wiltshire.

:thumbs:

This ain't happening Sparky as I am pulling the plug with trading on here WIE.

and moving on.

Politics and the like.

well.............. do one then!!!!! ;):boxing:

whats up Pete?

well......... the other days i checked the tyre pressures and then proceeded to put a black grubby mark on the passenger seat. i looked at the cleaner i had and it said dont use on suede!!! :doh:

so i used warm soapy water and dabbed rather than rubbed and it came off a treat. i have also tried the handle with this method and it came up pretty good. needs a bit more time than i had tho.

Didn't mean I won't do your seats as in this case as we have already agreed terms:) I just can't get the info I need.

I refer to the earlier post of the material used.

As your car is quite new and in keeping with fire regulations the use of Suede in car interiors is restricted in certain countries as it is very flammable.

Mitsubishi wanted to keep there Suede look and on the Evo used a fire retardant man made weave to get round these problems.

Just can't think of the name they call it but it's " Something Leather" just not suede.

The lose term leather suggests to those not in the know that they are getting something special.

I have no doubt in my mind that an artificial weave dyed with a water based product would not survive the errasor rub that you would use on real suede.

I am guessing that someone who ownes a 370 and is a petrol head might have got a speck sheet on the ingredients used in the build.

This will tell you exactly what is used in the construction of the seat.

Being Red you really do not want to raise the dye to the surface as this will leave a forn colour as it eventually comes out into your clothing.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately not as that was my thoughts as there is a cleaner especially for it.

Faux is on the European list of failing current fire regs which beggars the question

of insurance payouts if you have after market seats made of this material.

Found it "ALICANTE" as used in the Audi R8 :)