Possible increase in road tax

nixy

Yeah, I wonder what kind of "judgement" they'll be basing it on?

I heard on the radio how it's 4x4s and "some" sports cars...I can understand some of the supercars doing stupid MPG, but surely these type of cars spend most of their time in the garages anyway? :dry:

Last time they changed the rules, the Z did fall into the higher bracket - however, it was changed for vehicles registered AFTER 1st March 06.

Which means the 06 Z's and onward were subject to the new cost, pre 06 models were not.

If they change it again, I can imagine it will apply to vehicles registered after a certain future date, meaning only new Z's ould be affected.

We will have to wait and see.

Road tax based on emissions really really makes my blood boil. Our Z is used almost as a weekend car and just 1.5 miles to work and back each day by the missus. It does about 5000 miles per annum or there abouts. My Golf TDI does about 12000, and my new Seat (When it bloody arrives) will do the same, and with well over half the emissions level of the Z and doing more than double the milage, I actually pump more emissionsout of that than the Z.

If the Government continue raising road tax and using emissions as the yardstick, then they need to combine this with annual mileage checks. As its simply not fair.

Besides which, if anyone watched a recent documentary entitled "The great global warming swindle" - you may have seen that Human CO2 contribution is absolutely tiny compared with every other source of CO2 on the planet, its all just a con for governments to have new and wonderful ways of imposing taxes, whilst simultaneously preventing other countries like Africa from developing (an bringing in competition) on the basis that they are causing global warming. How very convenient.

Anyway - rant over.

Lets see what the budget brings, but good old Gordon is hardly likely to give us anything we havent seen before from this Government. Higher taxes, more ineffective spending. Oh and the self employed and small business owners are no doubt going to be shafted again.

your spot on there! If it applied to mileage then I would happily buy a cheapo second 1 litre car to run to work and back in - therefore reducing the emmissions and only use the gas guzzling car on a weekend.

Guest prescience

That does pre-suppose that the mileage is recorded accurately and fairly and that is probably what the Government is afraid of (wrongly), that the amount of clocking and falsification would rise dramatically. Unless of course they put road pricing in place with the 'spy in the car' whereupon cost per mile becomes much more viable and less prone to abuse - but that's another story.

I doubt that any changes will be retrospective though - that has not been the policy to date.

With the current arrangements, there is of course a figure between the current level of say £400pa and say £10000pa where it would deter people - its just that the current or changed level will not YET be at that figure, but it does exist

Although changes have NOT been retrospective to date - reports suggest that this may not be the case for this change - th Sky News website for example quotes:

"His move would affect owners of the 225,000 least fuel-efficient vehicles bought new since last April."

Last time they changed the rules, the Z did fall into the higher bracket - however, it was changed for vehicles registered AFTER 1st March 06.

Which means the 06 Z's and onward were subject to the new cost, pre 06 models were not.

If they change it again, I can imagine it will apply to vehicles registered after a certain future date, meaning only new Z's ould be affected.

yeah i read it would apply to cars registered after 1 April 2006.

But the thing is - isn't fuel efficiency and emissions two very different things? I remember how I failed to get more than 27mpg from a Honda Jazz, when my mum would be getting 45mpg, so it's more about the driving than the technology...

Looks like everyone needs to buy a hybrid...and move to San Francisco...(if you don't watch South Park, you won't understand... ;) )

You sure about the new bands applying to only new cars. According to this report on the BBC it says its all cars since 2001 (which i think is where it change from size of engine to emissios)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4834480.stm

I would say there is a 95% chance the Z will get caught up with this increase. As said its going to make so little difference BUT will end up making them lots of extra money. Personally its going to have to make me think twice as I was already considering selling in the summer anyway and this is an extra thing against it but the majority of drivers will end up keeping

Yes - the new "Band G" for vehicles over 225g/km applies to vehicles registered After 23rd March 2006.

The DVLA/Government tables detailing this ar here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10012524

So for taxing a Z the costs are:

05 model = £190 per year

06 model = £190 or £210 (depending on the date registered)

Any Z on a 56 plate or newer will be subject to £210.

It looks as though this time they are squaring up to raise it for all vehicles registered after 1st March 06 which means any Z on an 06 plate or newer could fall under this.

We will have to wait and see what good ol' Gordon has in store for us.

This whole subject really winds me up!

Whether or not CO2 is the problem, I don't understand how this is the best solution.

Surely, the best solution is just to put more tax on fuel? This way, the people who use more fuel (and hence, produce more CO2), pay more.

The people who do little mileage (I work from home, so don't commute, for example) pay a proportionate amount to they CO2 produce.

Not only will this encourage people to use their cars less (that's what the greens want, right?), but it will stop occasional users getting stung too.

IMO, if they want people out of their cars, they have to make the costing more related to the amount of fuel used (and emissions generated). I mean, why are you going to use a train when you've paid £400 a year to have a car on your drive?!

I now doubt the CO2 argument also having listened to recent documentaries about this. There certainly should be more research and I get the feeling it is not being done as the government would rather just get the tax off us instead, while hiding being dubious "evidence".

I think this stinks of using too much stick and not much carrot once again.

Sorry guys but £210 in road tax that would be a dream for me. I pay €1348 a year. That’s £921.77.

And lets not forget I pay VAT plus VRT of 33% on top of that just to buy a car.

The Irish government has been robbing us for decades and we can do nothing about it.

To top that off they are considering the black box system of monitoring mileage and charging accordingly but want to also keep VRT. This system will never happen as it would infringe on various privacy laws.

I didn’t see the recent docu’s but I can assume it related to natural carbons being released from the ocean floor as the temp increases and that the world has been known to have an ice age every 100,000 years long before we started polluting the environment. The theory as I understand it is an ice age will happen anyway but that we are giving it a gentle push.

If governments are (finally) so convinced that we should do something about our ways then they should focus on the manufacturers to produce more efficient engines. Taxing the user will have little effect without massive taxing to force them out of their cars. Same goes for that idiot carbon credit tax. If one government produces more carbons that another they simply purchase the credits.

The only people I’ve seen so far actually do something to publicly make a difference is F1. By 2012 (or something) the manufacturers have to produce cleaner cars. This will in turn have a knock-on effect to the manufacturers road going cars.

Now, as it’s a bank holiday here I think I shall go pollute the environment with my gas guzzler.

This really winds me up too and it won't stop me driving my car for certain... :angry: I read an articule today saying the top groups would go up to £2k over the next few years... :scare:

Why o Why won't the government step in and sort the appalling train network. I use the train to go to London regularly and at £109 for a return ticket, I can easily drive into London for about half the cost of a train jounrey and that's in my V8 gas guzzler. Which I now do occasionally. Where's the sense in that?... :angry:

Guest prescience

Trains - it depends where you live Kev. A weekly ticket from here costs £70 - no way I could do that in a car and neither would I wish to on the M4

Trains - it depends where you live Kev. A weekly ticket from here costs £70 - no way I could do that in a car and neither would I wish to on the M4

This is the stupid inconsist charging. Derby to London return is £109... :scare: How on earth can they justify that. The charges should be fixed on a mileage covered basis to make sure they are fair.

If train fares continue to rise more people will start using their cars instead.

Just my little rant. I'll shut up now...:lol: