Rear wheel bearing

Vini69

Looking for advice:

I have a 2006 post facelift 350z, lovely UK model which I purchased last year with 26k on the clock. it sailed through the p3 in October last year and although my daily driver, she is well driven (not thrashed unduly i mean) and cared for, with less than 4k so far this year. NOW, I was checking documents and blow me, I saw that the MOT expired on the 2/9/2012. now that very morning, I had checked the mail and (I know) were offering half price Mot's. So in a rush I book it in today.....all fine but they tell me my rear wheel Nearside wheel bearing is loose. It is so unsafe in fact, they reckon it has a inch of movement I the wheel and is very dangerous to drive....else I would take it to Ross of Japex fame.

Now, I have heard no noise and with under 30k on the clock it seems suspicious. I KNOW I haven't hit anything hard (few potholes in London I suppose) but I couldn't get back today to check the wheel and so it has stayed in the garage. It seems unusual for a bearing to go....especially after light use and p3 within the last 11 months. KwikFit now tell me that I cannot buy my own part for them to fit as they are not insured to fit It.

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Pete

It is so unsafe in fact, they reckon it has a inch of movement I the wheel and is very dangerous to drive....

KwikFit now tell me that I cannot buy my own part for them to fit as they are not insured to fit It.

Sounds like a con to me, I can't believe that their insurance wouldn't fit new genuine dealer parts just because the customer provided it.

Well blow me, to it to a garage with mechanics that I have visited many times before and the wheel bearing is indeed at fault. they are quoting me 3 hours labour to replace the part, which is costing me £110 direct from Nissan.......does this sound about right? is it that complex a job?

Well blow me, to it to a garage with mechanics that I have visited many times before and the wheel bearing is indeed at fault. they are quoting me 3 hours labour to replace the part, which is costing me £110 direct from Nissan.......does this sound about right? is it that complex a job?

1 hours labour and the same bearing will cost you less than £80.00 from me. :thumbs:

Alex :)

1 hours labour and the same bearing will cost you less than £80.00 from me. :thumbs:

:#1:

I won't have a clue though....labour from whom Zman?

It takes 1 hour to swop out a rear whel bearing on a 350Z if you are handy with the tools.

A lot of the guys on here that I supply bearings to, fit the bearings themselves.

A competent technician should take no more than 1 hour for this job and even less time if you fit a new bearing carrier as well.

You wait till I need some stuff doing. I am traveling up the M6 Alex!!