Punctures.. repair versus replace

fuzboo

I've just erred on the side of caution and binned a 4 month old *sob* rear Bridgestone with only 3.5k *sniff* miles on it due to a screw through the centre tread.

I'm curious what the general opinion is on repair versus replace, as I received conflicting opinions at the tyre place. One chap would have happily repaired it as apart from a lowered speed rating it would be 'sound', and short of tracking the car I was never going to see those speeds. The actual tyre fitter however was of the 'Hell no.. not worth the risk on that car' opinion, and would be concerned about temperatures on the repair if driven hard. I'd gone straight for a new tyre and not mentioned the issue of repairs until after the fitting, so i'm fairly sure the latter opinion was not just sales spiel.

Had an interesting discssion with a drift team recently where they get from a tyre sponsor used ex-police (BMW) tyres - one wheel gets a tyre pucture and apparently all 4 tyres are automatically required to be renewed at the same time so the team get 3 used tyres that are often full of tread.

Mind you the drifters finish them off in just a few track laps :lol:

Now whether the punctured tyre is repaired to also use they didn't say but I got the impression they didn't need to. ;)

Had punctures fixed on the 350z and 370z. Both held up fine, 350z on an airfield day after a good ragging, but dont hit massive speeds. As above, if on the road no problem in fixing, if on the track I'd probably get a new one.

I think its more important you get a good place to do it. Had a puncture fixed on our old Clio and it gave out going around a roundabout :scare: Both zeds were/are fine having been done somewhere proper :thumbs: