Supporting the car whilst wheels being refurbed

pbomb

Hi all,

I planning to get my wheels refurbed soon but need to figure how to support my zed whilst the wheels are off. I was planning to stick it on axle stands but after looking at the rear clearance, I'm not confident enough about putting them on. My 2nd idea is to stick space saver wheels all round whilst the wheels are being done. I won't be driving the car so they just need to support it. Only prob is I only have 1! Does anyone know what space savers from other cars would be the correct pcd to fit the zed? I have mates with bmws and mercs but not sure if these will go on. Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance ;)

I was planning to stick it on axle stands but after looking at the rear clearance, I'm not confident enough about putting them on. )

It`s pretty straight forward pbomb so long as you have 4 stands & a trolley jack (preferably a low entry one)

I normally do the front first, jacking from the front subframe each side & place the axle stands with a piece of carpet on under the normal jacking points then jack the rear from the diff & place the axle stands under the normal jacking ponts. Remember to loosen wheel nuts before jacking though ;)

Dont do it like this though dbsonbricks2.jpg

I used axle stands whilst my wheels where away for refurb. No problems at all. By the way if your leaving your car outside or in a drive make sure you stick some bin bags over your brembo callipers, as they would be easy pickings for anyone who wanted them! :thumbs:

Depending on where you are you might find a kind sole with a spare set of wheels to borrow ;)

:thumbs:

sounds a bit fishy Doogy ... do you mean 'soul' :p

:lol: I think my autocorrect is a bit fishy, but dont worry I will put it in its plaice

I used axle stands whilst my wheels where away for refurb. No problems at all. By the way if your leaving your car outside or in a drive make sure you stick some bin bags over your brembo callipers, as they would be easy pickings for anyone who wanted them! :thumbs:

Good point about them being easy pickings, but Idon`t think a black sack is going to deter a thief, if the car is outside perhaps steely`s or a spare set of wheels would be a better option

I was planning to stick it on axle stands but after looking at the rear clearance, I'm not confident enough about putting them on. )

It`s pretty straight forward pbomb so long as you have 4 stands & a trolley jack (preferably a low entry one)

I normally do the front first, jacking from the front subframe each side & place the axle stands with a piece of carpet on under the normal jacking points then jack the rear from the diff & place the axle stands under the normal jacking ponts. Remember to loosen wheel nuts before jacking though ;)

Thanks dude. I guess the other big concern would be the car rolling once the fronts are on stands. Did you use any blocks?

Depending on where you are you might find a kind sole with a spare set of wheels to borrow ;)

:thumbs:

That would be ideal. I wouldn't want to put anyone out but if someone near Croydon did have a spare set, I'd be happy to even 'hire' them for a week just for the car to be sat on :)

Ideally keep the car on level ground, btw the front wheels only stop the car from rolling when you have you foot on the brake ;)

I have a set of rays you could borrow if your willing to collect & return to ME7 3** (hempstead, Kent) but I`m sure there are a few lads nearer you that could help out :thumbs:

Good point about them being easy pickings, but Idon`t think a black sack is going to deter a thief, if the car is outside perhaps steely`s or a spare set of wheels would be a better option

Yeah mate, Another set would be perfect. My car was in my drive and i didnt have a spare set of wheels. The only reason i used bags was when you walked past you could spot the big shinny brembo's a mile away :)