New full fat Range Rover...

Chesterfield

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the fact they show pictures of them in the desert or off road, as if 99.9% of them sold will ever leave the road :lol:

Err.. around my way 99.9% of them do leave the road... they usually mount the pavement outside the school when they park up... :lol:

:lol::lol: very true!

I like it too, it looks very coherent. The 'pillarless' sides look cool with the floating roof effect. What's the lump on back in the sand pic though, can't make it out?

I should imagine this Landrover will be class leaders off road just as they always have been, bar the Evoque and RRS posemobiles.

RRS shares the disco drive train and chassis so is extremely capable off road. So long as they aren't fitted with draft bodykits which lower the approach and exit angles and blingy wheels.

If its proper off road then a series 1 or defender would be the best bet imho.

Wet grass is the worst stuff ever if you have low profile road tyres and do t use the right mode on the drive either :lol:

I should imagine this Landrover will be class leaders off road just as they always have been, bar the Evoque and RRS posemobiles.

Driven them both offroad?

I haven't had an Evoque offroad yet but I'd imagine they'd be good. The RRS is brilliant on ATs. One of my RRS mates put ATs on his and it was great.

RRS shares the disco drive train and chassis so is extremely capable off road. So long as they aren't fitted with draft bodykits which lower the approach and exit angles and blingy wheels.

If its proper off road then a series 1 or defender would be the best bet imho.

Wet grass is the worst stuff ever if you have low profile road tyres and do t use the right mode on the drive either :lol:

The Defender is on my list of cars for my dream garage B)

Stew, my comment about class leaders was a bit ambiguous. I'm sure the 'style led' Landrovers are far more capable than their peers of X6's etc. Kudos to anyone who actually buys one because they need the off-road capability, but clearly most punters buy them as a piece of bling to swan around town in. I haven't driven either the Evoque or RRS (and don't particularly wish to) but I meant that they are compromised off-road compared to a 'proper' Rangie / Disco / Defender etc :thumbs:

Highly interested to hear why to rrs would be compromised compared to a discovery?

:snack:

I've driven all Land Rover Products on and offroad apart from an Evoque..... I have driven a lot of 'SUVs' of many vintages on and offroad actually.

I'm waiting too. ;)

Highly interested to hear why to rrs would be compromised compared to a discovery?

You can see I have issues with the way 4x4's are used :lol:

Clearly the Disco is compromised compared to 'proper' Landrovers too. I'll add it to the list of half fat 4x4's that I won't buy should I ever need a mud plugger :stir:

In my opinion the RRS and Evoque are designed mostly to appeal as status symbols which will rarely see any mud, but I like the subject car of this thread ;)

You can see I have issues with the way 4x4's are used :lol:

Clearly the Disco is compromised compared to 'proper' Landrovers too. I'll add it to the list of half fat 4x4's that I won't buy should I ever need a mud plugger :stir:

In my opinion the RRS and Evoque are designed mostly to appeal as status symbols which will rarely see any mud, but I like the subject car of this thread ;)

What's a 'proper 4x4' and what's a 'half fat 4x4' then? I'm genuinely intrigued......

I have my own opinions on this, just want to see how they stack up! :)

I should say that my experience of 4x4's is probably biased due to living in London and being surrounded by ones that are clearly bought for show and are only used on the road. But I do soak up info on them as I do with all cars and my assessment of a half-fat 4x4 is as follows ;

A) Less ground clearance due to lower ride height and bumpers designed for style over practicality.

B) Harder, road biased shocks / springs.

C) Road biased tyres.

D) 2 wheel drive - jeez, buy a normal car numbnuts!

What really gets my goat is white 4x4's of any variety, owners of these are the cream of the mongtard crop IMO :lol:

'Proper' 4x4's are Rangies (non lowered, proper tyres etc), Defenders etc. I hear various Jap mud pluggers fall into this category also.

What really gets my goat is white 4x4's of any variety, owners of these are the cream of the mongtard crop IMO :lol:

Oh dear, let the flaming commence...... :snack:

Chesterfield will be hanging out his white Rangie Sport with his flame thrower! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear, let the flaming commence...... :snack:

Chesterfield will be hanging out his white Rangie Sport with his flame thrower! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You were with me, then :lol::lol::lol:

A) Less ground clearance due to lower ride height and bumpers designed for style over practicality.

B) Harder, road biased shocks / springs.

C) Road biased tyres.

D) 2 wheel drive - jeez, buy a normal car numbnuts!

I won't argue with that list although road biased tyres are the norm these days, a nice set of 'SUV' tyres are fine though. Even cars capable of mud plugging often come with sports tyres on them these days, it's a crying shame!

I'd also put bling wheels on the list. That is probably my pet hate - 22s on 4x4 is just silly. Well that and no option to go into 4WD.

Don't worry, my Dad calls Range Rover sports 'the gay ones' as he is an ex Full Fat owner. :lol::lol:

Funnily enough a mate of mine just bought a White Range Rover Sport TDV8. His family are big land owners, he has a house on the farm, he owns a plant hire and groundworks company with the yard on a corner of the farm. His car spends more time in mud, fields and minging roads than most I know...... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

measurement..................Vogue...................Sport

Approach Angle................34 deg.....................34.6 deg (.6 better)

wading depth...................700mm....................700mm (same)

departure angle.................26.6 deg.................29 deg (2.4 better)

ground clearance................283mm....................227mm (56mm worse)

Posemobile severely compromised off road, with road tyres:

And with off road tyres..

The closest mine will come to doing anything like this will be if the tractors leave mud on the roads I use on the way to work, or if I want to have a bit of fun in the snow as and when we get any.

Main reason for purchasing mine is that it weighs 2.7 tons. So if Im driving along, with my family, and I have a head on at 60mph with somebody driving say a saxo, who for whatever reason is also doing 60 on my side of the road, I ,and my family, shall carry on going forward at about 35/40mph.

May seem selfish, but meh, what else would be expected from the "cream of the mongtard crop" :shrug:

Love it, currently the father runs around in a tdv8 RRS and has served us really well. And we were definitely looking at an upgrade with the new rangies.

Completely new, with the JLR chassis saving a massive 420kg i believe, so lighter, more efficient, faster and more dynamic hopefully! (Gonna see if i can persuade him into buying a 5.0l Supercharged :thumbs: )

Taken it off roading pretty much everywhere, only time we used different tyres was when we went to Morrocco and went sand duning and off roading around there. Car's only problem throughout was a clogged air filter.

Keeps chugging along at home to, does loads of motorway miles as my Dad loves to drive everywhere. Also, fun thing about it when on the motorway is when some chav mobile thinks he can undertake... he can't :bangin:

The closest mine will come to doing anything like this will be if the tractors leave mud on the roads I use on the way to work, or if I want to have a bit of fun in the snow as and when we get any.

Main reason for purchasing mine is that it weighs 2.7 tons. So if Im driving along, with my family, and I have a head on at 60mph with somebody driving say a saxo, who for whatever reason is also doing 60 on my side of the road, I ,and my family, shall carry on going forward at about 35/40mph.

May seem selfish, but meh, what else would be expected from the "cream of the mongtard crop" :shrug:

This is a rather unfortunate turn of thread events but I stand by all of my comments, each to his own and all that :)

Let's be clear, I said that the RRS and Evoque is compromised compared to full fat mud pluggers. I'm fully aware that they're still capable off-road.

Re: the head-on concerns, have you considered a Volvo with a few choice 'Mad Max' mods :stir:

Does this mean I'm banned for a month :surrender::lol:

This is a rather unfortunate turn of thread events but I stand by all of my comments, each to his own and all that :)

Let's be clear, I said that the RRS and Evoque is compromised compared to full fat mud pluggers. I'm fully aware that they're still capable off-road.

Re: the head-on concerns, have you considered a Volvo with a few choice 'Mad Max' mods :stir:

Quite agree it's each to his own. Also you bought yourself points with the cream of the mongtard crop comment! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

RRS or Evoque will still thrap virtually every German counterpart offroad though especially on the standard fit tyres!

Im made of much thicker stuff than that :lol: Is there a description for somebody who has two white 4wd vehicles? :blush:

I did actually consider a Volvo, but then I thought that despite looking over 50, Im "only" 34, so decided against it. The first time a tweed jacket or tartan blanket makes it into our home, Ill be back down the Volvo dealers. :lol: