Alfa Brera

Ricey

Any one any experience.........especially with the soot chucker?

4-5 grand trade in on the shitbox of doom which means a healthy 3k haemorraged in 6 months from buying the BMW to Merc to 'X' new car. :surrender:

Christ.

Ouch!

Love the Alfas but buy carefully as a used proposition the depresiation is mostly taken care of. If you want some specific advice on anything let me know. I have a good friend who has been with Alfa for ages and another who works for Alfa Uk

I do like the look of those inside and out B)

But I don't like soot chuckers, whereas the Alfas in petrol form do make a lovely noise :cloud9:

And given my son's experience with the Giulietta he bought last September it seems the Alfa Dealer back up is hit and miss - probably in much the same way as we hear on here about Nissan :shrug:

Alfa dealers were notorious a few years back for being useless.

The only problem with the petrol is the MPG is about 2 worse on published figures than my V8 Merc and the 0-60 and torque are abysmal for a 3.2 V6.

2.2 petrol is even worse (comparatively).

Alfa dealers were notorious a few years back for being useless.

The only problem with the petrol is the MPG is about 2 worse on published figures than my V8 Merc and the 0-60 and torque are abysmal for a 3.2 V6.

2.2 petrol is even worse (comparatively).

You could always :pmzmanalex:

Oh darn :doh: but it's not a Zed :lol:

I'd go Brera, Alfa's are far better than they used to be.

Ricey

Just got back from talking to Rob at Alexanders Alfa, hes a top bloke and sold me the wife's Mito three years ago, TBH it also gave me an excuse to put the bit on him to come over to Canada!

Anyway he says the engines a very solid and run on chains so no worries there. He said to check the brakes as they are expensive to replace callipers etc, also play in the seats at the front oddly enough, the mechanics of the mechanisms can wear out and prove to be expensive but very fixable. Check the tyres too, espeially the inside edges.

There are also some MUST haves on the car too:

1/ 18" alloys

2/ the Blue Me system

3/ Service history

He reckoned they were very important to have on the car and in goo working order.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else

T

Just having anoyther look..... reading the reviews look positive and if not an oil burner sounds like similar running costs to a 350/370.

But one comment caught my eye if it has to be a diesel:

When I first purchased I was slightly disappointed with the performance- it was adequate and economy was low thirties but I invested in a Mangoletsi Mod 3 remap - not cheap at £700, but they underwrite the warranty- that totally transformed the car- circa 300bhp which means Boxster crushing performance when wanted or almost an average of 40mpg in normal conditions, indeed overall the economy over 53,000 miles has averaged 37.97mpg.

;)

Have you driven these? I had a big test drive in one before getting the zed as well as the Alfa GT (both with the 3.2 block iirc). Pretty darn awful for what looks fairly nice. Its rear seats are laughable even compared to something like a TT, visibility is a fair bit worse than the zed and the responsiveness/agility/power delivery/torque made my old Megane feel nice to drive.

I test drove one when thinking of replacing my Leon soot chucker...

Stunning looking inside and out but even with the 2.4 compared to 2l of my Leon it didnt have the grunt, not as good to drive and brakes were not a patch on the Leon either.... Also much poorer mpg and the Leon isn't the best in that dept!

Lovely looking though B)

Have you driven these? I had a big test drive in one before getting the zed as well as the Alfa GT (both with the 3.2 block iirc). Pretty darn awful for what looks fairly nice. Its rear seats are laughable even compared to something like a TT, visibility is a fair bit worse than the zed and the responsiveness/agility/power delivery/torque made my old Megane feel nice to drive.

No mate......not even been close to one in the flesh but i hear generally poor reviews of them.

Hi Ricey,

After selling the Z I've now settled for Alfas, to compare it:

- Dealers are still a hit and miss and servicing is more expensive than the Z

- The new generation is not as bad as the old 147/156 or older

- the 2.2 JTS engine is a joke, with a massive lack of torque (IMO) my 159 lasted 5 months only because of this, also returning 24 to 30 mpg depending on the type of driving.

-2.4 JTD is probably the best engine when it comes to economy/performances returning 30 to 38 mpg, and the V6 still the best for sound and fun.

-The Brera is not as sporty or as good to drive as it looks

-My money would go on a GT 1.9 JTS unless you can afford the V6, as it drives better and is more practical,the only reason for not going for it is that we have now downgraded to one car in the household and as the wife will have to do some driving we have settled for a Giulietta.

If you fancy a GT and have some spare cash this should be fun (shame for the colour) http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4087373.htm

Hope it helps :thumbs: