Knocking when jiggling steering wheel?

Arran

Morning people

What I thought could be roll bar links at the front could be something else now :bang: I was cleaning my leathers last night, was doing the steering wheel and when I was turning it back and forth it was making the same noise it does when it goes over uneven ground although I was stationary!

Anyone have any experience or know what it is? Steering feels ok I feel, searched about something about a nut on the steering rack needing to be tightened?

Any help would be great guys, il still be doing the links and bushes though

Cheers

Arran

Do you know the correct way to check the bushes? It's usually almost always bushes, if it's the ball joint on the control arm then you would have to replace the full arm.

Is this knock when the engines off an rotating the wheel side to side? This is normal when off as there is no fluid pumping to lubricate an keep everything quiet and assist the steering. If it doesn't do it when the engines on then it's not the same noise.

Yeah it makes the noise when engine is off not on, although when driving over uneven ground there's a slight knocking which I put down to arb links

Going to see if a mates does the same later with engine off

We have just told you this is normal :shrug:

The knocking over uneven ground will be control arm bushes, (banana bar inner bushes) common problem and usually easy fix. Hard to identify if you don't know what your looking for exactly.

I have this exact problem! Knocking noise when on uneven ground, particualrly bad at low speeds when the car is rocking from left to right. I was almost certain is was the exhaust moving from side to side knocking against the car but its not that. I can replicate the noise when i quickly wiggle the steering wheel. Given that the steering wheel noise appears to be normal would it be worth while buying new bushes from :pmzmanalex: and getting someone to fit them?

How long should a reputable garage take to do this, roughly?

Yeah I understand its normal, but the knocking over bumps must be a different thing which I put down to links

The banana arms can be replaced with polybush can't they?

Yes I do work :lol: but come on here a few times a day for a quick browse lol

Yeah I understand its normal, but the knocking over bumps must be a different thing which I put down to links

The banana arms can be replaced with polybush can't they?

Yes I do work :lol: but come on here a few times a day for a quick browse lol

I get bad knocking over road humps and bumps and assumed it was a loose floor tray.

The bushes were replaced on its 1st MOT 4 months ago.

Glad I have found out it's normal:)

:yahoo:

Yeah it makes the noise when engine is off not on, although when driving over uneven ground there's a slight knocking which I put down to arb links

The knocking over uneven ground will be control arm bushes, (banana bar inner bushes) common problem and usually easy fix. Hard to identify if you don't know what your looking for exactly.

Neil the guy has had his Zed a week :lol:

I met him Saturday and he is so made up with it, he just wants to check everything out I can understand that....

He isn't saying we are all stupid and don't know what we are talking about :shrug:

Arran,

I would not worry to much about the noise from the steering with the engine switched off mate.

Fit the front drop links and nuts that I sent you and take if from there.

If you are still getting front suspension knocks then have a close look at the compression rod bushes and all the ball joints, especially the compression rod ball joint and the hub carrier ball joint.

All bushes and ball joints in stock if required :thumbs:

Alex :)

I met him Saturday and he is so made up with it, he just wants to check everything out I can understand that....

He isn't saying we are all stupid and don't know what we are talking about :shrug:

I know that Dave, I was just saving him wasting time.

I know that Dave, I was just saving him wasting time.

:winkkiss:

I asked the question as i know you guys generally know the answer or have a solution ;)

Alex are they the banana arm ball joints? Thought you had to buy the arms!

Hope it turns out to be the links tbh dont fancy wiping out my uprev fund :angry:

Tomorrow 1pm the links and bushes will be going on, along with the gates belts and oil change with silkolene pro s B) should hopefully keep the thing happy whilst I can plan the mods out :) need to crack on with painting the wiper arms to, just this minute put aero blades all round looks alot more up to date, still can't believe the difference the grounding kit has made!

Tomorrow 1pm the links and bushes will be going on, along with the gates belts and oil change with silkolene pro s B) should hopefully keep the thing happy whilst I can plan the mods out :) need to crack on with painting the wiper arms to, just this minute put aero blades all round looks alot more up to date, still can't believe the difference the grounding kit has made!

I was surprised with the grounding kit, is your 5 piece or 6 piece? Makes a difference with some cars not with others, but it reduced idle shudder on mine :shrug:

Those bits should sharpen up the ride and smooth things a bit too :thumbs:

Mine is the red 4 piece kit from horsham developments mate, it took away the idle 'shudder' and smoothed out the lower rev range when coming on and off the gas, was suprised that it does all that! Even if it didnt the bay looks better B)

Couple hours left til shes getting worked on and i can give it another full check underneath

Lol the underneath of my bumper has been grounded!

On to good news..........the knocking has gone :yahoo: roll bar links it was! Also the engine runs alot smoother with the new oil can hardly hear it now! Love it all the little things that needed doing are now done and I can crack on with making it my own :cloud9: