oil catch cans

Kev T

I feel that once an engine is FI'd oil catch tanks become more important to prevent the extra crankcase pressure forcing more oil mist into the air intake tract, so today i fitted these :

post-5990-135011927973_thumb.jpg

post-5990-135011927982_thumb.jpg

post-5990-135011927997_thumb.jpg

They were quite reasonably priced at about £60 and the braided hose cost £30, i tried ordinary silicon hose but the vacuum is so great it squeezed the hose flat ! They are nice and compact fit in well with the brushed alloy intakes and there is a little button on the bottom of glass bowl to drain so they don't need removing to empty.

Correct, but the internal tubing is far thicker and more robust than the previous silicon tube which just collapsed, tbf maybe more expensive silicon tubing might have been ok, but i wasn't willing to pay to take the chance ( particularly as the first stuff i tried was sold as vacuum tube ) plus in hindsight i think the braided tube matches my engine bay and the braiding allows for neater bends.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 im a noob or +1 you want to know? lol

um what's oil lol?

I want the answer to both questions as although I have heard of a catch tank I have been waiting for someone else to

pop the question.

I really have not got a clue as to what it does?

Kev must have found some extra centimetres under his hood to fit them, as I am space less !

There is a breather pipe that connects from the rocker covers to the inlet manifold. the vacuum made from the engine pulls oil vapour from the rocker covers into the inlet manifold. It then makes it`s way into the combustion chamber where it is burn`t off. When running FI you can quite often see a slight increase in crankcase pressure resulting in more oil vapour being pulled into the inlet manifold. A catch can does what it says on the box, it catches the oil exactly the same way a water separator does & stops the oil being sucked into your inlet manifold, keeping it nice & clean ;)

There is a breather pipe that connects from the rocker covers to the inlet manifold. the vacuum made from the engine pulls oil vapour from the rocker covers into the inlet manifold. It then makes it`s way into the combustion chamber where it is burn`t off. When running FI you can quite often see a slight increase in crankcase pressure resulting in more oil vapour being pulled into the inlet manifold. A catch can does what it says on the box, it catches the oil exactly the same way a water separator does & stops the oil being sucked into your inlet manifold, keeping it nice & clean ;)

Why thank you kind Sir:)

Darren-B do you have two catch tanks? just asking as i would have thought you could get away with one (attached to the intake pipe on de engines) but your picture shows the cross-over pipe between the two rocker covers? (just being safe are you :blush: )

Only 1, there is a hose between the 2 rocker covers, then I have fitted the catch can on the outlet on the drivers side rocker cover between the rocker cover & the plenum. The other outlet on the rear of the passenger side rocker is fitted with a mini k&N filter