What 5w30 engine oil, nissans isnt fully synthetic

Arran

Afternoon fellas

Just been to Nissan for oil filter, sump washer and a couple of small bits (excellent service by sharik at Croydon by the way) and I asked for some oil aswell, he came out with the 5w30 but it was only semi synthetic so I left it.

What oil do you guys use?

semi synthetic is fine to be honest but people like to give their cars the best etc. it makes more of a difference if you do alot of "spirited driving" and offers a little more protection to the engine.

but to be honest if you let an engine warm up properly first, change the oil on a regular basis, and keep it checked and topped up if needed then it doesnt matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Halfords regularly offer the Magnatec 5/30 Fully Synthetic stuff (as glamourously modelled by SMD) for £17.50 for 4 litres :thumbs:

EDIT - Just checked, and they're currently doing the offer at the time of writing this post :teeth:

just watch the magnatec, it used to have a habit of going watery. i used it in the jag, but swapped to mobil one recently. if going castrol i'd be tempted with their gold top stuff ;) .

that or go browse opie. they have gulf performance stuff and lots of choice.

I used to use Mobil 1, to be honest though if you just bought the car with 60k on the clock or something you have no idea what the previous owners have been sticking in it, they could have been using sawdust and tar for all you know so sticking £100 worth of oil in now is going to make naff all difference. Just go for a known brand fully synth as recommended and you will be fine.

It's got pretty much full Nissan history so has most likely had the Nissan oe stuff, good enough for me imo if it is that

Most Nissan dealerships will fill the car with 10-40.

When I buy a car I like to change the oil. Then drive for a few hundred to 1k miles then change again. It lets the oil clean up the engine gently.