High oil consumption and oil on sparkplugs!!

fatalus

Noticed lately that my 04 350Z consumes ca 1lt oil per 1500km. At the same time and during a spark plug change I noticed oil on 2 of the spark plugs. The serviceman told me that it is surely problem with the gaskets and it has to be fixed by lifting the upper part of the engine to replace the gaskets. Is it so or can there be other reasons for the oil consumption and the oil on the spark plugs?

I would be getting a bore check and pressure test done on the pistons etc to see if there is any seals leaking. Oil on spark plugs is a different issue usually to high oil consumption i'm sure

If its oil on the top of the spark plugs then Its something to do with the gaskets Im sure. If its oil on the electrode side plus you have high oil usage that could be a problem.

What grade of oil are you using?

It is oil on the top side and I was using Mobil 1 5W30 that was changed the last time to a 5W40 non Mobil 1. Did not check oil levels though after the oil change...should do it tomorrow actually.

if it was just burning oil i'd probably reccomend a thicker oil. as engines get older you should change the oil density if it starts to burn stuff off.

could just be a gasket issue or could be bore wear.

personally i'd get it compression tested first, as this will identify if the engine is losing compression and if so which cylinder or how many cylinders are affected. this is a pretty inexpensive test. if it comes back as all good. then i;d be replacing the gaskets. which shouldn;t be as major as you think. or as expensive.

early signs of gasket wear may show themselves as oil in the rad. if it is you'll have a creamy mayonaise style gunk in and around the rad cap. this is a nice easy check and is free.

I bet its the cam cover seal...trouble is you cant get the seal on its own you have to buy the whole cam cover...common issue with the zed..however not such a problem as oil is a good insulator so will not promote tracking...worst thing is when you take the spark plug out you get a load of oil down the plug hole that then passes through the cat...

If it helps I have also recently noticed oil in the spark plug tubes on my 2005 gt and found the cause was the cam cover O rings failing on the passenger side, middle and rear cylinders. After scouring the net I found the O rings are laminated in to the cam covers and cannot be replaced individually without choppin the cover up and importing them from US so I rang the stealers in Warwick to get a new cover and they said £248! excluding main gasket which is extra £28 or sumthin. I've opted for RTV for now for a cheaper fix, I'm sure it will work. I use it at work a lot

You wont loose litres through your spark plug tubes so high oil consumption wud probly be internal related. id get the cylinders pressure tested and leak down tested to check condition of piston rings and valve stem seals.

i had a little oil on my spark plugs when i changed them on the back 4 cylinders, after having a probe it was the rocket gasket that had gone a bit. now theres none :thumbs:

Fitting a new rocker cover gasket will not have any effect on the oil ingress to the spark plug tubes :thumbs:

Alex :)