Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs

Sarnie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
OK lets keep it simple. I want to lower the zed. i aint bothered about adjustable dampers and the like. I just want my zed to sit lower. Can I assume I therefore just need new springs ie Tein or Eibach?

Eibach's will lower 40mm and muck up you geometry. Go for RS-R's if you can get them. Tein's are OK too. RS-R's are 15mm allround and Tein 20mm fronts 15mm rears.

OK lets keep it simple. I want to lower the zed. i aint bothered about adjustable dampers and the like. I just want my zed to sit lower. Can I assume I therefore just need new springs ie Tein or Eibach?

Eibach's will lower 40mm and muck up you geometry. Go for RS-R's if you can get them. Tein's are OK too. RS-R's are 15mm allround and Tein 20mm fronts 15mm rears.

Ok so if i get the teins, will i need the geometry checking or altering?

Look good to me mate, thats the going rate from what ive seen to. Have a scan about at some well know garages, im sure they sell them at a similar price. Mite take away the unknown factor of ebay unless of course you trust the seller.

Info:

S Tech's springs lower your car .7 inches in the front and .6 inches in the rear. Spring rates are 386 lbs front (6.9 kg's) and 403 lbs rear (7.2 kg's). Includes 1 year Limited warranty against sagging. H Tech's are designed for the person who wants a less aggressive stance when compared to the S Tech's. The H Tech's are made of lightweight durable Vanadium, and then Zinc Phosphate coated for added rust prevention. Also features a 1 year Limited warranty against sagging. Lowers the car approximately .3 inches front, .2 inches rear.

One thing that has been bugging me:

Is the geometry the toe in and out, camber and castor thingys that the laser wheel alignment checks? Is it all the same? If so once my new rims come should i wait for the lower springs to be fitted to get it all done at once? Or am I way off?? :surrender:

Sarnie - You're geonetry will be fine with Tein's. Load of guys in the US have fitted them and didn't need a chnage. If you want it checking wait until te suspension has settled.

Tein's lower about the same as RS-R's. I didn't bother with mine.

Is the geometry the toe in and out, camber and castor thingys that the laser wheel alignment checks? Is it all the same? If so once my new rims come should i wait for the lower springs to be fitted to get it all done at once? Or am I way off?? :surrender:

Laser alignment is the Toe in and out. Our cars from what i know have very little adjustment for camber if at all and only a small amount of adjustment for toe which is enough until you start lowering. If you lowered the car by 40mm or more then the camber starts to become an issue which is why we would recommend the Tein, Eibach or RSR's as they dont lower enough to cause problems. If you did say get some springs (or coilovers for that matter) that lowered 40mm or more then you would need to buy a rear camber kit to get it back in or near to Manufacturers recommendations depending on preference.

Check them out here:

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STICMBR01&c=SU

I have seen them for much less when i was looking into suspension mods @ around $190.

Laser alignment is the Toe in and out. Our cars from what i know have very little adjustment for camber if at all and only a small amount of adjustment for toe which is enough until you start lowering. If you lowered the car by 40mm or more then the camber starts to become an issue which is why we would recommend the Tein, Eibach or RSR's as they dont lower enough to cause problems. If you did say get some springs (or coilovers for that matter) that lowered 40mm or more then you would need to buy a rear camber kit to get it back in or near to Manufacturers recommendations depending on preference.

Check them out here:

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STICMBR01&c=SU

I have seen them for much less when i was looking into suspension mods @ around $190.

I've bought some Tein S-tech springs which will lower it 20 mm at the front and 15 mm at the back, therefore I don't need to get the geometry done :clap:

Will still get it done when the new rims arrive next week :D

with new wheels it is HIGHLY recommended to get your geometry checked, at the very least.

Even with a little drop, it makes it even more recommended.

Ask Liam and davestan how far off their geometry setup was with just new wheels ;)

with new wheels it is HIGHLY recommended to get your geometry checked, at the very least.

What do you mean, at the very least? What else is there to get checked?

your wallet ;)

No need to check that, its empty :doh:

I know somebody that can lend you some :teeth: