Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs

Sarnie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowering springs are design to fit your existing struts, which means you keep your exisiting dampers. The final ride height is therefore non adjustable.

Coilovers replace the struts and springs. The strut bodies on coilovers have adjustable spring seats therefore adjustable ride height. Coilovers also usually have smaller diameter springs so are lighter and allow wider wheels. The range of springs and and adjustability make them more suitable for motorsport.

Clear as mub...?.........:lol:

Lowering springs are design to fit your existing struts, which means you keep your exisiting dampers. The final ride height is therefore non adjustable.

Coilovers replace the struts and springs. The strut bodies on coilovers have adjustable spring seats therefore adjustable ride height. Coilovers also usually have smaller diameter springs so are lighter and allow wider wheels. The range of springs and and adjustability make them more suitable for motorsport.

Clear as mub...?.........:lol:

:wacko:

I wanna lower the car. Which one is best?

Tein SS coilovers can lower the car by as much as 40mm if you want.

The ride quality and suspension reaction is vastly improved with the coilover kit.

One of the best on the market at the moment is the KW Variant 3, Jon (Baptist) runs these and I am sure would be happy to give you a reiew if you ask him.

The ride quality and suspension reaction is vastly improved with the coilover kit.

One of the best on the market at the moment is the KW Variant 3, Jon (Baptist) runs these and I am sure would be happy to give you a reiew if you ask him.

I believe I'm correct in saying a 40mm drop will much up the goemetry and mean you need adjustable camber arms.

That's why I went RS-R Ti2000 springs which only drop by 15mm. To improve the damping I replaced te struts with Tokico D-Spec's which are adjustable. IMHO this is one of the best setups you can get for the Zed without going to coilovers. Val has these on his car.

Sarnie - If you are thinking of lowering I've got loads of pictures of Zed's at different ride heights, ranging from 400m on Eibach springs to RS-R's.

The other thing to think about is speed humps. You will start getting problems if you go as low as 40mm.

How much for Variant 3, Phil? If I wasn't going to track the car would I not be better with one of the cheaper versions, 2 or even 1?

So how much are the teins and the kw's? How much approx to get them fitted??

over £1k, for either, IIRC The Tein SS (don't think they are their top of the range) could be less.

40mm on a daily driven Z (with a Nismo bumper!) is suiicde IMO.

I never said i wanted as low as that just lower than it is now. How low can you go without it being a problem?

Kev do you have a side on pic?

Got this one. The drive does slope a little so shows the car a few millimetres lower, but then again the springs had only just been put on the day before so may settle a bit.

2006-04-22Wheels035.jpg

Kev, Where did you get your Ti2000's from?? Been trying to get in touch with RSR direct to get a shipping quote for weeks, but still no reply :rant: