Who should get the garage?

SteveW

Just in case you don't know about the new BMW security issues - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 1&d=0&nmt=

Sounds like someone in BMW needs a lesson in programming if they leave the exact details you need on the key in the car system where it can easily be read and over OBD! :bang: Theres plenty of algorithms out there that they could use to do identity checks which would mean you didn't need those details to be anywhere near the car but would need them at BMW to code the keys for one.

Good job they don't work in the finance industry, the UK would be losing a lot of money in fraudulent transactions :lol:

Sounds like someone in BMW needs a lesson in programming if they leave the exact details you need on the key in the car system where it can easily be read and over OBD! .

ITs not just BMW sadly, youve been able to nick a car with a matched ECU and key for a while, this is the new "development" to stop that happening. :headhurt:

Oh, and BMW, keep your expensive and shiny stuff expensive and shiny. :)

Bloody hell hadn't realised it was a major issue with BMW's will make sure the mrs gets a steering lock ASAP.

Guessing you haven't seen the steering wheel locks being unlocked in under 3 seconds on YouTube?

ITs not just BMW sadly, youve been able to nick a car with a matched ECU and key for a while, this is the new "development" to stop that happening. :headhurt:

What do you mean by matched ECU and key? An ECU and key from another car but same model could be used to steal it (ie swap out ECU and use matched key)? :scare:

Even MS Windows knows how to lock itself down if hardware changes/swaps, so surely if MS can do it OEMs arent stupid enough to let it happen? Its not farking rocket science to hash the serials from a few bits of hardware to spot if they have been tampered with :bang:

With the current problems BMWs are having with their security I'd be garaging the BMW if it's one that suffers from the awful security flaw.

This, although personally I wouldn't tell her and i'd garage the Z- because there are a million non-descript mint 1 series which can replace a damaged/ stolen one, but a good Z is worth hanging on to!

if someone is gonna steal a car (and they are good) they will steal it no matter where you park it or what you do to try and keep it safe!

unfortunately thats just how it is these days :(

garage the car that gets used the least! thats all i can think of!

So surely the answer could be, put an aftermarket alarm in the bimmer. Oh, and go find a house with double garaging.

Thats not so easy these days. I built a massive triple garage sized workshop at my old house as i had the land for it, but when I moved the other year there were very few houses these days which had a double garage or even the land to build one on - unless you went for some farm type place. In the end I managed to get a house with a double garage - but any "double garage" seems to only be about 16ft square, so you can just about squeeze 2 cars in and thats it.

Bloody hell hadn't realised it was a major issue with BMW's will make sure the mrs gets a steering lock ASAP.

I bought a £20 BMW USB-OBD cable off ebay this week, been playing around with the coding software BMW uses (freely avaliable on the web), was amazed at what you can do to the car in a very short period of time. You can access and code virtually any of the onboard computers in seconds!! Its very cool been able to retrofit parts without going anywhere near a dealer(in my case adding better speakers/amp), but at the same time quite scary...I get the impression you can easily "brick" the whole car if you send the wrong code to the ECU!! I can also see how easy it is to "clone" a key if you had access to the right kit (reading the data is easy, but writing it to blank key needs additional equipment)...I cannot see how BMW can really stop this, short of a complet redesign of the OBD system.

So surely the answer could be, put an aftermarket alarm in the bimmer. Oh, and go find a house with double garaging.

Thats not so easy these days. I built a massive triple garage sized workshop at my old house as i had the land for it, but when I moved the other year there were very few houses these days which had a double garage or even the land to build one on - unless you went for some farm type place. In the end I managed to get a house with a double garage - but any "double garage" seems to only be about 16ft square, so you can just about squeeze 2 cars in and thats it.

Lol, sorry was thinking like a Kiwi. Standard here is 2 car garaging at least, sometimes more, like 4 or 5 + if it's a big house.

I bought a £20 BMW USB-OBD cable off ebay this week, been playing around with the coding software BMW uses (freely avaliable on the web), was amazed at what you can do to the car in a very short period of time. You can access and code virtually any of the onboard computers in seconds!! Its very cool been able to retrofit parts without going anywhere near a dealer(in my case adding better speakers/amp), but at the same time quite scary...I get the impression you can easily "brick" the whole car if you send the wrong code to the ECU!! I can also see how easy it is to "clone" a key if you had access to the right kit (reading the data is easy, but writing it to blank key needs additional equipment)...I cannot see how BMW can really stop this, short of a complet redesign of the OBD system.

Its easy to stop.

OBD connectors and the software has been out for donkey years. I have all the cabling to do most cars, and use it quite a bit when im working on cars and fixing problems. Where BMW is different is that on most cars the OBD socket is usually dead until you turn the ignition on. But, on BMWs, like my new 123d coupe, the socket is perminantly live. Apparently this is due to some EU regulation or something. So, burglers dont need to actually turn the ignition on before they can use it!!!! In addition, with the location of the OBD socket and the black spot in the stock alarm motion sensors its easy pickings.

Solution would be for BMW to make the socket only work with the ignition on, relocate the socket somewhere else in the car, or improve their internal motion sensors.

Lol, sorry was thinking like a Kiwi. Standard here is 2 car garaging at least, sometimes more, like 4 or 5 + if it's a big house.

Man id love a 5 car garage!