MREV2???

Darren-B

Does anyone know the specific differences between the stock lower plenum on a DE engine & the MREV2?

I need to get my map tweaked a little & not sure whether it would be worth changing to either an MREV2 plenum, going all out with a lighter Kinetix manifold or just leaving it as it is

The MREV 2 doesn't provide the pre-revup with any gains as far as I'm aware.

The MREV2 was specifically designed for the revup.

The difference is all to do with the snouts as I call them. On the revup they are longer. The MREV2 is basically a pre-revup (short snouts) but with the front two snouts shaved on the top.

Cheers Ian,

Interesting, so basically the MREV2 is similar to the lower collector that I already have in my car?

however I have read "When used with on the non-REVUP 350Z engine, the gains when it is installed alone without a spacer are very similar to that of the 5/16" spacer. However, the MREV2 will show a slightly lower peak value, with a slightly higher average value and a slightly higher TQ value. Racers may want to get the spacer AND the MREV2, for improved top-end performance. Overall, MREV2 provides "area under the curve" and is the highest gain plenum mod available. Installs re-using existing factory hardware."

Source:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z09c/11-3098

Here's a pic of the pre-revup plenum and revup plenum. Shaving the pre-revup snouts basicaly turns it into a MREV2 and that's the only difference.

IMG_1807.jpg

For the cost against gains for the pre-revup I'd say it's not worth it. But being boosted it maybe beneficial.

Best thing to do is get yourself a pre-revup lower collector (save using your own) and I'm sure there's a guide on my350 with how to shave the snouts, which will also tell you how much to take off.

On the revup engine, the plenum spacer basically does sod all, but match it with the MREV2 and you get very good gains.

As wasso said its a DE collector but its been shaved and polished. In the US you can send your lower plenum to them and they will give you $100 back as the mrev2 is made from the oem plenum.

So gains can be had but you have to be careful. Maybe its different as your boosted but its all a trade off. Top end versus low end torque.

Cheers Ian,

Might just go down the Weight saving route & get a kinetix or cosworth, they should also reduce the heat soak to.

I'd go Cosworth, good reviews in the US when boosted.

Alex has one for sale, although its been there a while so may have sold?

DE motor and Mrev2 I feel is a waste of cash. They only seem to work on the Rev Up motor helps to feel the hole in the torque curve that the Rev Up has from stock.

Kinetix plenum is a waste of time/money they crack and split especially on a F/I motor.

Cosworth plenum work well on S/C cars thou but you wont see a good gain unless you run a little more boost.

Thanks for your responses guys. So It`s pretty much a waste of time & money. The reason for thinking about doing it was really down to trying to improve the airflow, as my cats are now decats so thought if I try an improve airflow into the engine, with a tweak on the map I could see some better torque figures.

I remember Mark@abbey saying when he tuned the car that Sam McGoo`s car made more torque than mine with a similar setup apart from that he was running de-cats & a kinetix velocity intake.

And theres me saying I`m not chasing numbers :bang:

I guess it must be headers time then if you're looking for airflow.

I'd also be looking at high flowing exhausts, I know you've just put one in but more the likes of the turbo spec exhausts.

If not why not look at weight loss like you said.

Carbon doors, boot etc?

Personally you're taking the fun out the car for a few more horses.

Be satisfied my friend, karma and all..... ;)

i think i got sold by the company selling them in the states, claiming it was re-designed to be suitable for the DE engine, but hey ho, i have it now, might as well fit it along with my spacer, if i have egg on my face after...then its a learning experience!

i think i got sold by the company selling them in the states, claiming it was re-designed to be suitable for the DE engine, but hey ho, i have it now, might as well fit it along with my spacer, if i have egg on my face after...then its a learning experience!

I'd personally sell it. Spend the money on a different mod.

As soon as you fit it, it'll lose £X amount, but sold as new you'll recoup more.

I think you were sold after being told it was a waste on a non rev-up here. Perhaps wanting to prove everyone wrong! :lol::lol::lol:

I'd agree with Wasso, might aswell sell it! Keep the spacer though! :)

Cheers Ian,

Might just go down the Weight saving route & get a kinetix or cosworth, they should also reduce the heat soak to.

That one was sold a while back Ian, however I have 2 Cosworth Plenum kits which have just came into stock :thumbs:

And of course good to go same/next day :yahoo:

Alex :)

Cheers Ian,

That one was sold a while back Ian, however I have 2 Cosworth Plenum kits which have just came into stock :thumbs:

And of course good to go same/next day :yahoo:

Alex :)

i had bought it before i asked people on here unfortunately

Tip No 1.

Always do your research before buying something.

I've not bought one thing I regret, ask the forum, search other forums such as my350z.

Best sell it and recoup some costs. It'll be pointless to fit it.

With the cash you can buy some other things. What else tempts your fancy?

Tip No 1.

I've not bought one thing I regret, ask the forum, search other forums such as my350z.

Boring :yawn:

I have a garage full of impulse buys and projects, live life for today :no1:

Tip No 1.

well i made the mistake of trying to tidy just a small area of the engine bay, which then became a hunt for rust, then everything needed wiping down, now i have the need for engine dress-up items, should have known it would never have been a simple tidy up!