What SatNav ?

lcaller

Before i collected the car i bought the new TomTom 1005 , a really nice new unit with all the bells and whistles and a crystal clear 5" screen.. To using it for the 1st time i found problems .

1) It's a perfect size for the console area, it fits under the flap perfectly. Perfect that is without a power cables as it's so snug there is no chance of fitting the power.

2) You just can't hear the bloody thing on 100% volume with the roof down. It doesn't help the speaker is in the back.

3) Glare central ! Now i know today is out of the norm but with the top down you just can't see anything.

With that in mind, it's going back to Amazon and i'm once again looking for a SatNav unit. So do i :

a) buy the 4.3" TomTom giving me hopefully enough room for a power cable without cutting into the area , and seating it back for glare protection.

B) Buy an all in one double din radio / nav system.

What external SatNav units are you guys running and do they just live outside of the SatNav area ?

Have a Garmin Nuvi 2595 5" squeezed into the cubby with just enough room to get the power capable running from the power socket on the front dash. Will at some point remove the centre console to run the power wire in behind and wire it into the car, which has been done by others.

Get a dremel and cut a slot out for the power cable, you can leave that attached to power socket in the pax footwell. It's what I did with my Tomtom, and I wedged it right at the back to minimise glare completely.

Well worth doing.

It's a very snug fit and if i push it in then the unit resets as the power button is held down.

I may swap it out for the 4.3" unit TomTom do so i can push it back. I want to see what i can do without cutting holes into the cubby area but i don't think that's going to happen,

7621706542_bb9100290c_z.jpg

i run a navigon now

but when i had the zed i ran a pioneer avic f500bt

P1010150.jpg

it had a mini amp that meant it played the audio through the cars speakers and muted the radio etc. had an SD slot so you could play DVDs etc.

It's a very snug fit and if i push it in then the unit resets as the power button is held down.

Take the rubber floor out then cut the base of the actual cubby, only needs a tiny slot to fit the power cable through. That's exactly what I did with mine.

That way, when it comes to sell the car you just put the rubber mat back in and it covers any slot up ;)

Iv'e got a navman panoramic 7" taken apart and fitted behind a 2003 jap satnav cubby, looks oem :thumbs:

Do you have any pics of ur navman install mate? I was looking at doing the same but wasnt sure if the 7" screen would fit, considering the panoramic ( if you can get one as they are discontinued now i think ) are pretty cheap.