help... decats dont fit y pipe

TinkerTom

Have bought the silenced decats off ebay, they look good value for money but they don't fit my y pipe. The gap between the decats is 40mm narrower than the y pipe. Has anyone had this problem before. Was I ment to buy a specific y pipe to go with these? Any help greatly appreciated.

Can you post some pictures up of the decats and other parts and where exactly you are trying to fit them?

What years your car as the cats are different from 2002-2006 de engine to 2007-2009HR engine

they look good value for money but they don't fit my y pipe.

You kind of summed things up nicely yourself there. Buy cheap, buy twice. Not always the case but 9 times outta 10 it tends to be. As Neil says post some pictures up and tell us the year of your car. The y pipe should be a straight fit onto the decats.

sorry for the late reply guys. i ended up getting the angle grinder and welder out and modifiying the y pipe. i will try and post up the pictures of what i did in case anyone else has this problem. :)

here are the decats in question

IMG00734-20120719-1554.jpg

the decats sit 40mm narrower together underneath the car at 51cm inside bolt hole to inside bolt hole. whereas the y pipe was 55 cm so i needed to take 20mm out of either side near to the flexys. here are some more pictures.

IMG00739-20120720-1544.jpg

you need to do this both sides... obv

IMG00740-20120720-1545.jpg

weld it back together

IMG00741-20120720-1612.jpg

then measure the new distance of 51cm or as damn close to because the old flexys wont like to much strain if you have been lazy with the tape measure!

IMG00742-20120720-1715.jpg

tadaaa.. :) sounds lovely im not usually a fan of raspy exhausts but this is a lovely tone coupled with my scorpion backbox still really quiet on tick over and general round town but get it over 3k foot down and it really really does bark.

how do i cure the check engine light i have heard something about a spacer or something?

But then once a year you'd be cutting the y-pipe and rewelding it, and then doing it again to put the decats back on. Utterly pointless when you could just get a pair of decats that fit in the first place.

The only other alternative that I can see is buying another y-pipe to fit for the MOT.

But then once a year you'd be cutting the y-pipe and rewelding it, and then doing it again to put the decats back on. Utterly pointless when you could just get a pair of decats that fit in the first place.

The only other alternative that I can see is buying another y-pipe to fit for the MOT.

Least a second hand OEM ypipe is cheap I guess. :lol:

10 out of 10 for the OP for finding a solution though :thumbs:

we all do something naughty once in a while. my little secret is that i take a tray of doughnuts to my friendly guys at the mot station ;)

i would of only had to go and buy other de cats anyway, and these were ment to be a direct replacement which obv they are not.

one of my old cats had broken up inside aswell and a large chunk of the honeycombe was just wedged about in there so they really did need to come off. this was purely just to show what you need to do if you find your self in this situation and you have the facility to cut and weld and a coupe hours spare it cost nothing and you get your car back on the road the next day.