Installing Tablet/Satnav into normal 350z cubby

indy88

Hi guys

I am contemplating installing an android tablet into my 06 350z, it doesnt have a birdview system installed and looks like a 7" screen would be a pretty tight fit but something like a 5.4" screen on a samsung galaxy note or something would be perfect.

I know members on here have created custom units using sat nav cubby but thought the normal cubby may also work?

and finally out of interest how much is the satnav cubby and where can they be purchased from?

Had a play around with the galaxy note and how it would work in the normal cubby, also had a look at a teardown of the phone, would be extremely time consuming and not sure if it would even give a decent oem look.

Decided to get myself a sat nav cubby instead and use a cheaper 7" tablet which are far simpler to manipulate in terms of components.

Im planning to do the same in the next few months (funds permitting lol)

After having a look around recently, im pretty confident that by cutting off the rear section of the standard cubby (with a dremel or the like), that a 7" tablet would fit behind perfectly. I found a thread on my350z.com of someone who had done exactly that with a Nook Color tablet!

I am planning to use the upcoming Google Nexus 7 tablet in my 2004 UK GT Zed :) I'll post full pics and details when I start :)

I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the new nexus 7 will be near enough impossible to do this project with. I have been researching the same thing and the reason for this is the lcd is fused to to front glass. As you know the lcd is 7" inches, however the casing (front glass) is much bigger as is covers the whole of the surface area of the front.

If you can still do this with the front glass being so big please share, however I do think some modding may be required to the cubby

Yup it can be done! I wont be taking the tablet apart at all (well, possibly to get to the power button but I think I have a work-around for that too!)

Check this thread out;

http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-pro ... build.html

That user has installed a Nook Color tablet, which is slightly bigger outside dimensions than the Nexus 7, and it fits fine! I have measured it too and the tablet itself is no bigger than the entire cubby hole. I plan to mount mine almost identical to how its done in that post, with a metal bracket holding the back of the unit from both sides.

If you want to discuss ideas feel free to PM ;)

Yes Dave :) Easily fixable! ;)

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/f ... e-nexus-7/

I will be rooting it & installing a custom recovery & kernel anyway. Hoping that someone will do a touch-wake kernel by the time I get around to doing this. Would be perfect to keep the device in low power mode while not being used, and can be woken up by simply touching the screen :) No buttons required ;)

I have an Android 7'' tablet that replaced the Birdsview Sat Nav, perfect fit in the cubby :thumbs:

Have you got any pictures of it installed?

:thumbs:

Sorry i have no pics.

Seach on the forum for COOKBOT SATNAV this should give all the details including a video. There is also some pictures of my sat nav in Cookbots info.

If the forum seach is not 100% yet, Google (Nissan 350z custom sat nav) and you will find a link to 350z 370z forum custom sat nav.

With the normal cubby im mostly concerned about having a correct "beze/casing" around the lcd screen like the sat nav cubby has.

Without the correct covering around the lcd it could look very messy

I guess I need to do some measurements with the empy cubby to see if the opening exactly fits a 7" lcd

Yes Dave :) Easily fixable! ;)

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/f ... e-nexus-7/

I will be rooting it & installing a custom recovery & kernel anyway. Hoping that someone will do a touch-wake kernel by the time I get around to doing this. Would be perfect to keep the device in low power mode while not being used, and can be woken up by simply touching the screen :) No buttons required ;)

No worries you obviously know your stuff B)

Why worry about low power mode when it will be hard wired surely :shrug:

I would be tempted to get one too, especially as the 16GB one is only £159, shame it doesn't have an SD card slot though.... would be nice to have all my music on it rather than using my iPod classic.... Does it at least have a micro USB that would be mountable once rooted :shrug:

With the normal cubby im mostly concerned about having a correct "beze/casing" around the lcd screen like the sat nav cubby has.

I guess I need to do some measurements with the empy cubby to see if the opening exactly fits a 7" lcd

I have a couple of cubbys in my garage I can have a look if you like :thumbs:

If you could mate I would massively appreciate it.

Struggling to find a sat nav cubby

If you could mate I would massively appreciate it.

Struggling to find a sat nav cubby

I don't have a satnav cubby, apart from the one in my Zed ;)

One cubby is the standard one that came out and the other is one I bought on impulse off eBay.... it's a bit knackered :blush:

Ok I found my old cubby and compared it to the satnav cubby.... I think a 7" screen of some sort would fit, but you would have to butcher the cubby up so much and you would also loose the lid so personally I would get a satnav one :thumbs:

dd2033e2.jpg?t=1342108250

You would have to cut all the back off from the inset bit...

eea3b8f8.jpg?t=1342105974

Which is where the lid is attached to :surrender:

Your only real option with the standard cubby is to fit a smaller nav or tablet inside it, a 5" one maybe...

No worries you obviously know your stuff B)

Why worry about low power mode when it will be hard wired surely :shrug:

I would be tempted to get one too, especially as the 16GB one is only £159, shame it doesn't have an SD card slot though.... would be nice to have all my music on it rather than using my iPod classic.... Does it at least have a micro USB that would be mountable once rooted :shrug:

I was more meaning standby mode when the screen isnt on. Dont want the screen being on constantly even when not it use.

16GB one is £199 ;) The 8GB is £159, and only available through Google Play store.

As for the mountable thing, I assume you mean could you use the USB as Host mode to attach a USB storage device too it for extra storage?! I believe this will work using a USB OTG cable, but as you say it might require rooting and some mods. Only problem with this is you cant charge when the USB OTG cable is attached - power can only flow one way!

You would have to cut all the back off from the inset bit...

eea3b8f8.jpg?t=1342105974

Which is where the lid is attached to :surrender:

Your only real option with the standard cubby is to fit a smaller nav or tablet inside it, a 5" one maybe...

Hmmm :dry: I may have forgotten about that bit lol!

Well I think I need to get my Cubby out and have a good look over it. See if anything can be done. I need to keep the lid!

How much are the Sat Nav cubbys does anyone know?! :shrug:

This is another picture I took earlier on, this is the satnav 1, the lid goes all the way inside the compartment

post-8788-135011926688_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the picture the space between the mechanism and and the start of the hole is roughly about 50mm

well from previous threads a price of £100 is thrown about, havent seen many places where you can buy the sat nav cubby though.

Also what tablet is everyone using? bit of a pain finding a tablet which supports GPS/Bluetooth etc

1 Nexus 7 - Not an option as mentioned before the LCD is fused to the front bezel glass so there is no way to separate them

2. Samsung galaxy tab 7 plus - Seems like a good option but pricey

any cheaper chinese tabs people are using?