Installing Tablet/Satnav into normal 350z cubby

indy88

I don't see why you need to separate the screen from the glass anyway? Did nobody see the Nook Color install? It looked fairly straight-forward (albeit with the Sat Nav Cubby) and the Nook is slightly bigger than the Nexus 7.

I was also looking at an Arnova 7 G3 as a cheap alternative at around £100. But compared to the Nexus its got no Bluetooth, no GPS, it had a single core CPU and a rubbish display. On its plus side is it does have MicroSD for 32GB of storage, and it comes apart extremely easy and has no glass screen.

I just personally think the Nexus 7 is the perfect tablet for an install, its cheap and has incredible specs!

I agree, if the nexus 7 can some way be fitted in, that tablet has the best possibilities.

Offline maps - no need for data connection when using sat nav.

Jelly bean - stock android, no added skins

Will be supported in software updates in the next few years

Lastly value for money, there is no other tablet that can give it a run for its money at that price, plus it has top of the line specs.

If there is someway to get the nexus 7 into our z's in will be incredible!

I have looked into this a lot, trying to find a 7" tablet with at least ICS, GPS & BT has been a struggle. The Nexus 7 ticks almost all the boxes and no it wouldn't need removing from the screen just maybe the case depending on how flush the screen is to it... then how trick it is to hardwire and fit a button to replicate power on/off and reset.... only other thing is that it only has the home screen in portrait mode and no SD slot but rooting would sort both out I am sure ;)

I have always though a tablet was a little ott in the cubby as i would never play games, audio is on my 7" dd unit so really just GPS and a link to my odbII dongle.... But a cheap option like a nexus could sway me :blush: also having 3/4 free GOS software options is tempting, tried copilot on my xoom and quite impressed, just got to crack iGo ;)

if the Nexus 7 could fit in the sat nav cubby without having to remove the front glass then I would be very tempted! - it will no doubt have huge support for custom roms and hacks etc due to how cheap it is

the other 7" tablet is the 'samsung galaxy tab 7 plus' - its a revamp of the original galaxy tab 7 and ticks all the boxes - BT/GPS/SD slot etc and its getting ICS update in a few days.

now its just a matter of finding a 350z sat nav cubby which is proving to be a pain! - anyone who could help pls let me know

I have looked into this a lot, trying to find a 7" tablet with at least ICS, GPS & BT has been a struggle. The Nexus 7 ticks almost all the boxes and no it wouldn't need removing from the screen just maybe the case depending on how flush the screen is to it... then how trick it is to hardwire and fit a button to replicate power on/off and reset.... only other thing is that it only has the home screen in portrait mode and no SD slot but rooting would sort both out I am sure ;)

I have always though a tablet was a little ott in the cubby as i would never play games, audio is on my 7" dd unit so really just GPS and a link to my odbII dongle.... But a cheap option like a nexus could sway me :blush: also having 3/4 free GOS software options is tempting, tried copilot on my xoom and quite impressed, just got to crack iGo ;)

Yeah thats been my problem too! The only downsides to the Nexus 7 seem to be its construction (fused glass etc), and the lack of SD card slot! Everything else about it is amazing, and would be able to do anything you'd want it to do as a Car PC :)

I've looked at a few teardowns of the Nexus 7, the Power & Volume buttons are on a ribbon cable that leads down the side of the device. The lead is very small though so I think re-locating the buttons would be hard to do. Because they are connected via a ribbon its going to make soldering in a different button almost impossible. I was planning to have a small cutout in the lid so that if needed I could stick my finger in to press the power button/reset it.

I have CoPilot Live Premium on my work iPhone and it is a great SatNav app. They do it for Android too so that would be my option for SatNav in the car! Its cheap too, only £25 I think. The bonus of this over the built in Google Navigation is it doesnt require data access at all. It does however need space for the maps which will take up valuable internal storage on the Nexus 7.

I have gone ahead and bought a dell streak 7.

Im going to take it apart and then il know more. From what iv seen its possible to do it with that.

The only downfall at the moment is its running 3.2 honeycomb which isnt great but it could be better.

If any1 finds an ICS or JB rom for the tablet let me know :-D

Im going to take it apart and then il know more. From what iv seen its possible to do it with that.

The only downfall at the moment is its running 3.2 honeycomb which isnt great but it could be better.

your in luck: http://liliputing.com/2012/01/dell-stre ... nload.html

I think I am going ahead with the Nexus 7 tablet - once it arrives will take it apart and get some close ups of the power switch to get ideas on possible rewiring.

I think I am going ahead with the Nexus 7 tablet - once it arrives will take it apart and get some close ups of the power switch to get ideas on possible rewiring.

Have you preordered the nexus 7? If you have you may get it this week so i may hold off taking this apart as you will find out more then.

Are you fitting yours in a sat nav cubby?

Have you preordered the nexus 7? If you have you may get it this week so i may hold off taking this apart as you will find out more then.

Are you fitting yours in a sat nav cubby?

Have pre ordered it with HMV as I just remembered I had a £100 evoucher laying about, comes to £99 in total for the 16gb model, should be getting it towards the end of this week.

I am planning to install it in a sat nav cubby (which I dont have yet) - but I was in the market for a tablet anyway so will be using it day to day once it arrives to get familiar with it and will also take it apart to get a better understanding of rewiring options

I was planning to start work on the dell streak on Friday, I may wait now and see if anything can be done with the nexus 7 as for an extra £50 it can do so much more

Unfortunatley HMV have pushed back shipping till the 23rd of July so will be receiving the tablet next week!

once it arrives I will get some pics up.

ahhhh annoying. Only next week though saying that. Would you PM me and explain to me how you are going to install it? Then I can have another look at my cubby, at the minute I cannot picture how its going to be done :(

I have a pretty decent idea, BUT it will be installed in a sat nav cubby which I have not currently got hold of, WLMG Nissan have quoted me 150quid, if I don't find another option within about 2 weeks I will order from there. I am waiting 2 weeks to get used to the tablet and hopefully some decent custom roms for it e.g touch wake and power on when plugged in (will explain further down)

I am hoping to fit the tablet flush against the cubby - the back may be removed if the power + 3.5mm cable protrude on one end and I will just relocate the connectors

the USB power will be run along centre console where I will rewire the rear cigarette lighter using this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-AUTO-3-SO ... 4344wt_971

the box will be located and secured in the centre cubby, this way i can also connect the tablet via usb to a laptop etc to upload things.

The power issue - If a custom rom with touch wake and power on plugin feature is released then theres no need to route the power switch and would make everything a lot easier, - if not I will look to rewire the power switch.

ahhhh annoying. Only next week though saying that. Would you PM me and explain to me how you are going to install it? Then I can have another look at my cubby, at the minute I cannot picture how its going to be done :(

Do you not have a front cig lighter? Far easier to route from there, less distance and nothing to remove :shrug:

could do but would like to have the usb plug handy to transfer anything to the tablet as the power and usb data are both on the same socket on the nexus 7

also as the 3.5mm plug will be in the centre cubby with a 3.5mm coupler just incase I want to plug some other mp3 device etc

the centre cubby may turn out to be a bit messy inside but allows for the usage options therefore sticking with it

UPDATE:

So Ive got a quick update:

1. I ordered a Sat Nav cubby from WLMG Nissan - Pic attached.

2. My Nexus 7 has also arrived.

3. I performed the Bose hack just to get a feel for removing the dash etc - successfully done.

Issues:

1. Upon initial inspection the nexus 7 will not fit directly into a sat nav cubby - It will most likely fit into a normal cubby thats been appropriatley hacked away, but I want to keep the stock feel so did not want to take this approach.

2. Upon opening the Nexus 7, the power buttons are small physical buttons attached by a ribbon to the mainboard. After consulting with some friends - theres no real easy way of routing the button

However this can be rectified with: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1187631

The other issues of it being portrait only etc are easily solved with a custom rom.

Basically the Nexus 7 is a no go for my current setup - Luckily I needed a tablet for my commutes to work so it can be used there.

So my search for a suitable tablet continues...

@ashy3k - what tablet did you use for your build?