Flip key - not your standard thread

jamesyj

good find

i can get them finished in carbon if people wanted these be interested to see how you get on with it.

key case is about £35

then you need to find the key blank and internal fixings possibly £10 for a dead key

then paint costs on top. thats not a cheap key

Is there a reason we can't use the typical eBay flip out keys that apparently work for our cars? Except them looking a bit naff that is.

put a link up to one

i think from memory you can't get the transponder to sit close enough to the key, and the internals don;t fit properly

I'm on the phone with a horrible connection, so it would be next Tuesday by the time I loaded up eBay and took the link lol there is one if you scroll down the link posted above. :thumbs:

Shame it says Qashqai on it. I shall look more in depth and I may treat the beast this week.

It's 3D printed so I'm sure you could ask them to blank out the Qashqai logo on their 3D model before printing, they might even put 350Z on there if you ask nicely. Seems expensive at about £40, perhaps someone could ask about group buy prices?

Shame it says Qashqai on it. I shall look more in depth and I may treat the beast this week.

It's 3D printed so I'm sure you could ask them to blank out the Qashqai logo on their 3D model before printing, they might even put 350Z on there if you ask nicely. Seems expensive at about £40, perhaps someone could ask about group buy prices?

the company just print the drawings sent in, you'd need to get the original artist to redraw it with no text on, its not as simple as saying do you mind just not putting that in.

we use 3D printing for prototyping, i'd be interested to see how strong they are and what plastic they use.

the company just print the drawings sent in, you'd need to get the original artist to redraw it with no text on, its not as simple as saying do you mind just not putting that in.

we use 3D printing for prototyping, i'd be interested to see how strong they are and what plastic they use.

The Shapeways company does the printing yes, but they work in a way where anyone can sell their printed designs. The user be_on_edge designed this key so you could message him asking for a non Qashqai version.

I've just been looking at the possibility of buying a printer and doing this myself, but at a minimum of £400 I can't think of anything else I'd actually make that would make this worthwhile.

which one you loooking at? is it a reel fed or a cartridge machine?

as for the drawing depending on what software its done on if someone can get it to me i can redo the drawing and remove the text.

i have contemplated buying 10 cases sorting all the internals and blanks + painting/carbon dipping etc, but its a big out lay, they won't be cheap and people will still have to pay for key cutting on top.

would people be interested in this if i sorted it all out?

just had a look through their materials section and at the bottom it says

Warning: Please note that the 3D printing materials we use for manufacturing the designs make the products suitable only for decorative purposes and they are not suited for any other purpose. The products are not suited to be used as toys, to be given to children. The products should not come in contact with electricity or food & drink and should be kept away from any heat sources.

the key really needs to be ABS injected and not printed, this is why we only use this process for prototyping at work. good for making a quick mock up to see if it works but an expensive manufactuing process for small batches.

I've just been looking at the possibility of buying a printer and doing this myself, but at a minimum of £400 I can't think of anything else I'd actually make that would make this worthwhile.

which one you loooking at? is it a reel fed or a cartridge machine?

as for the drawing depending on what software its done on if someone can get it to me i can redo the drawing and remove the text.

i have contemplated buying 10 cases sorting all the internals and blanks + painting/carbon dipping etc, but its a big out lay, they won't be cheap and people will still have to pay for key cutting on top.

would people be interested in this if i sorted it all out?

I would be interested, but I'd prefer just black plastic - I much prefer the OEM look and feel.

How fragile do you think those Quashqai keys are? Considering they're not made from ABS.

:shrug:

the manufacturing differs to injection moulding because its built up layer by layer in a 3d printer so the cell structure is different to injection moulded as its squirted in under pressure.

without a smaple of both materials and an Izod tester its difficult to say, if the new flip design has thicker side walls then it might compensate for the material difference. just looking at things like the central strut which takes the spring load from the key, will it be up to being flicked open and shut everyday as a regular key. some audi keys have that as a bonded metal insert glued to the key frame.

if its painted with 1k paint it will chip quiet easy in your pocket with other keys phone etc over time. thats why most keys have the colour injected into the plastic so scratches dont; show up as easily.

Case halves look like they are printed on a SLS machine. Not great for build resolution or ultimate strength over time. They also become brittle with sunlight. I only use this type of print process for basic concepts prototypes certainly not thin walled sections parts either. Personally I would steer well clear of this.

I agree with them looking like they have been done on an SLS machine, material looks like Duraform PA built at .15mm layer thickness, build orientation was not ideal for the shape of the part by the look of it.

The material should be fine for a key casing, as long as it has surface protection like paint or lacquer, (rtbiscuit's carbon dipping would be cool too!) as this material will get dirty easily and absorb moisture.

If any body wants info on Rapid prototyping / layer manufacturing let me know :teeth: