Camber Problems for lowered/spaced 370z GT (pics)

marconorth

Need to put this question 'out there' & gather a few opinions from those in the know.

I recently lowered my 370z GT using the Eibach pro Kit springs & then spaced out @ 20mm back & 25mm front. I am well chuffed with the result. See Pics below...

370zJuly041.jpg

370zJuly058.jpg

Today i had a full geomerty check performed at considerable expense. Everything was adjusted to back to factory standards EXCEPT the camber!

The guys used all the adjustment at the rear to obtain a 'near as possible' reading. As for the front...well it seems that isn't adjustable so had to be left as it was.

The standard camber settings for the 370z i obtained from Nissan are-

FRONT

Minus 2 Deg 1' (minimum)

Minus 1 Deg 55' (Nominal)

Minus 1 Deg 11' (maximum)

REAR

Minus 1 Deg 41' (minimum)

Minus 0 Deg 67' (Nominal)

Plus 0 Deg 08' (maximum)

My actual camber readings as of now are-

Left Front Minus 2 Deg 15'

Right Front Minus 2 deg 37'

Left Rear Minus 2 Deg 20'

Right Rear Minus 2 Deg 35'

Q1) Are my current readings likely to give me a problem in driving or on tyre wear?

Q2) If the above readings do give me a problem, what is the best or most cost efficient fix... Adjustable suspension arms or adjustable top hat mounts??

All your views very much appreciated

Cheers Mark

Cheers for the reply Scotty

Have you had any issues with scraping since lowering?

It did scrape at first, but its been fine since i cut the rubber flexi down underneath the the front bumper. Basically i snipped away the two extreme edges (that jut down further than the rest of the flexi) & then i took another 3mm off right across the whole lot, blending it in nice & evenly using a polifan flap disc.

I also cut a 28mm strip off the front tyre protecter rubbers too :thumbs:

Only slight / occasional problem i have found since lowering & spacing (25mm front 20mm back) is that the outside of my Potenza's can tickle the nobbly bit at the top of the front wheel arch liners. There is a small visible graze on both sides in this position which is on the verge of breaking right through. I reckon that changing the 25mm spacers for 20mm spacers will sort this out & also give me enough leeway to correct the negative camber at the front without touching on the above part of the arch liner again.

Despite these little niggles there is absolutely no way i am going back to standard ride height. I love the stance of my Zed the way it is right now & so does everybody else :yahoo:

Is yours lowered too Scotty?...How have you found it?

I reckon that changing the 25mm spacers for 20mm spacers will sort this out & also give me enough leeway to correct the negative camber at the front without touching on the above part of the arch liner again.

Just a word of caution. From experience, you will find the OEM hub stud length protrusions will not fit in the recesses between the wheel holes so that the front wheels will not sit squarely on the spacer ;) Need at least 23mm for it work with the OEM studs. No doubt why CS used 25mm at the front and I now find 25mm all round works very well.

But shorter studs will get round the issue, although you need to keep the OEM stud's if you did not keep the spacers on as there is unlikely to be enough thread length when putting the wheels back on.

Just a word of caution. From experience, you will find the OEM hub stud length protrusions will not fit in the recesses between the wheel holes so that the front wheels will not sit squarely on the spacer ;) Need at least 23mm for it work with the OEM studs. No doubt why CS used 25mm at the front and I now find 25mm all round works very well.

Nice work Colin & you are pretty much bang on the money mate.

I had exactly this concern when i was originally going to fit my 20mm Eibach spacers onto the front of my 370!

CS did a lot of digging to find out exactly what the issue was with these spacers & below is their reply to me ...

The 1 set of 20mm spacers that I have sent you may or may not fit the fronts, they are the correct fitment for the car, it’s the 370z wheels that they fowl on, as the wheels don’t have a big enough recess for the original studs to sit inside.

With that said above, the ones we have sent you do fit some cars and don’t on others, so the only reasoning behind this is the wheels maybe differ in design on the inside of the front wheels! They will however most difinitely fit onto the rear of your car with no issues

I actually tried (as a test) the 20mm spacers onto the front of my Zed & hey presto... the wheel sat down flush & tight onto the spacer :thumbs:

Guess i must be one of the lucky ones ;)

Is yours lowered too Scotty?...How have you found it?

Mines not lowered yet. Tarmac is currently sourcing some Swift Sport Springs (Spec R) from the US of A. They reckon these are the best springs for the 370 on the 370Z.com forum. They lower the front by 30mm and the rear by 25mm. When reading the many reviews about lowering I've found opinon split on whether to fit a rear camber kit or not. I've completely removed the front chin spoiler and had the fixing holes filled and professionally sprayed. Looks like I'll need to remove the tyre aero deflectors as well with a 30mm drop(which will 'tidy' the underside up a bit - I always thought they looked ugly)! I'm hoping the drop will partly negate any aero disadvantage caused by removing the chin spoiler and tyre deflectors.

Cheers,

Scotty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Any update on this? Did you get your camber back into limits?

I'm looking to get eibach springs and 25mm spacers since I've heard 20mm don't quite fit with the GT wheels?

My insurance doesn't allow any changes to camber so I want to be able to have it at stock again.

Also is if just lowering that throws the camber off or do spacers do it too?