Respray v Wrap

Me and a few friends were discussing this last night, over the pro's and con's of respraying v wrapping on my car since it's an 04.

It's probably been spoken about a lot of times but I thought we could all debate the pro's and con's of it on any vehicle. Wrapping only really producing a "matt" like effect, paint on an older car being sun faded so not matching new paint etc.

Which option would you choose for your car and why?

I dont have much experience in either but i would get my 350z wrapped, which incidentally, i will be doing.

I think it's the best compromise for the cost, and at least it isn't permanent until i find the colour and texture i am looking for, i believe for a good spray job from a reputable bodyshop you'd be looking at £3k to £4k for a respray.

While you'll be looking at less than half that for a good quality wrap job. And to be honest i doubt many people could recognise the difference even at close inspection.

not all vinyl are wither solid colour or matte, there are vinyls out there with a flip paint effect and others that are metallic with flecks in them.

what is more interesting is that there are new films being produced that can now be painted, buffed and polished so you can even remove scratches from them. I'm hoping to get some soon to see what the matches is like for my XKR.

so technically you could buy a new bumper, order the vinyl in your paint code and have it wrapped instead of sprayed. they also reckon this new vinyl has the same longevity as paint.

..I would think you would have to clear vinyl wrap the front though - the amount of holes that would tear through the vinyl on the front...

can't say i've seen holes ripped in to wraps by stones, not saying it won't but the vinyl is pretty resiliant. but a clear wrap on top is definetly an option. no different to whats on offer to put on painted cars, things like armourfend etc are just thick vinyls.

I carbon vinyl wrapped the front grille on a previous car and within a day a stone ripped a 5mm hole right through it so had to have it patched up. Problem was that it was a chrome grille so stuck out a mile.

there is another new vinyl that i've seen that feels soft like velvet, but is hard as nails, you can drag a key across it and it won't scratch. you can also paint ontop of it. so technically you could wrap the car in it, then paint it, and then change the colour at a later date by peeling off.

maybe not for whole cars, but the posibilities for wheels is what i'm looking at.

My 350z was prob one of the first to get wrapped on the forum and I have to say I thought it was a great alternative to a respray. It roughly cost me 1.6k to get a matt orange wrap including door shuts etc. I liked the idea of being able to change the colour to my personal taste and if I ever wanted to change it back to its original colour (silver) it was easy. As for stone chips I would actually say the wrap was better than then paint.... but I guess it comes down to the quality of vinyl used. Is wrapping a car as good as a paint job? In my humble opinion NO. However... paint jobs can go wrong very easily aswell, trying to get the correct colour match etc. Would I wrap my car again... most defo. Just make sure whoever does your wrap are qualified and only ue the best of materials :thumbs: Oh and I got a 3 year warranty with mine aswell :D

As a newbie to all of this, what's it like cost wise? From what I understand a wrap can be about £1.5-£2k whereas a paint job would be double. Given how long the wrap lasts, it's cheaper, easier to change the colour of your car etc, it must be the leading option?

I'm not 100% certain on if I'll get anything done yet. I just enquired to get an estimate lol. If I do though I'll only need some of the outside doing as I'm thinking a white/black mix. White body with black rims, door handles, spoiler.

I'm not 100% certain on if I'll get anything done yet. I just enquired to get an estimate lol. If I do though I'll only need some of the outside doing as I'm thinking a white/black mix. White body with black rims, door handles, spoiler.

Quote for me is £1440 from RT-Performance, and it also depends on the cost of the vinyl and what colour or texture you go for changes the prices quite a lot from what i've heard.

My 350z was prob one of the first to get wrapped on the forum and I have to say I thought it was a great alternative to a respray. It roughly cost me 1.6k to get a matt orange wrap including door shuts etc. I liked the idea of being able to change the colour to my personal taste and if I ever wanted to change it back to its original colour (silver) it was easy. As for stone chips I would actually say the wrap was better than then paint.... but I guess it comes down to the quality of vinyl used. Is wrapping a car as good as a paint job? In my humble opinion NO. However... paint jobs can go wrong very easily aswell, trying to get the correct colour match etc. Would I wrap my car again... most defo. Just make sure whoever does your wrap are qualified and only ue the best of materials :thumbs: Oh and I got a 3 year warranty with mine aswell :D

Couldn't agree more, I personally went the paint route and when you stand it up to a wrapped car its easy to see the difference in quality.

I am lucky enough to have a friend that owns a body shop so cost wasn't an issue. However match a good wrap next to an average paint job and there's not much in it. I suppose it all comes down to the quality of the work?