Dimmer Switches for LED Downlighters?

The G Man

Going through a major refurbishment of my house at the minute and the time is drawing close for lighting fitments. So this is one for the sparks out there.

What is required, regards dimmer switches for dimmable LED downlighters, is there a particular rated switch?, does the lights, transformers have to have any special spec?, can I just use normal dimmer switches?.

My house is now basically an open plan kitchen/dining room/living room area. I would like the kitchen/dining room area to be run off of one switch, probably around 12/14 downlighters and the living room area off another switch, another 12/14 downlighters.

I've had a look on tinternet for some clarity, but it gets way over my head technically with respect to electrics.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, especially if put into layman's terms :thumbs:

This is why there are tradesmen and customers ;) They will happily spend your money for you :blush:

is there a requirement under scottish law for the electrical work to be signed off by a qualified and "competent person" as there is in wales and england ?

one of the sparkies will answer with something very "technical" soon :dummy: I'm sure

when I did mine - I just got him to tell me what I needed - searched on tinternet, supplied it and off he went sucking his teeth.......no, wait a minute, that last bit was the plumber ;)

The builder just shook his head and said "extras" - cue Builder49 :lol:

LED's dependant on voltage may require low voltage dimmer switches or they'll just use normal dimmers. If low voltage they will burn out a normal dimmer switch.

What led kit are you thinking about. There is a very good company, which are expensive though, but offer a 7 year warranty as the led/fitting is one.

There is no requirement in houses to have stuff signed of in Scotland unless its a new build.

As far as i know you cant dim led downlights. I know you can dim the normal low voltage style downlights if you buy electronic dimmable transformers. Im 95% sure the led style wont dim but as ive never worked with them i cant say for sure. Your best bet is to go and ask an electrical supply store like city electrical or ross electrical and they will let you know what your options are and will give you a decent price. Dont go to screwfix or b&q because they generally dont have a clue what their talking about and charge way over the top.

As far as i know you cant dim led downlights. I know you can dim the normal low voltage style downlights if you buy electronic dimmable transformers. Im 95% sure the led style wont dim but as ive never worked with them i cant say for sure. Your best bet is to go and ask an electrical supply store like city electrical or ross electrical and they will let you know what your options are and will give you a decent price. Dont go to screwfix or b&q because they generally dont have a clue what their talking about and charge way over the top.

No you can dim led's. City electrical are robbing bastards.

George let me know what you're looking at and i'll tell you what switches you need.

This is what I usually fit George http://www.halers.com/neutral_white_nw/dl_01_wh_nw_dim__halers_h4/24544_p.html

They have a 7 year warranty and are excellent brightness. They're around 30 quid a fitting though but you only get what you pay for. Standard spot light holders with led conversions are rubbish imo. The light pattern is terrible.

For a sidenote, people that work for the likes of ross electrical, city, edmundsons are not electricians. Anything they know usually they have picked up from people buying them.

George if you're going normal fittings with led conversion. I have dimmable low voltage transformers laying in my van that you can have for a quid each. I bought them for nicoles room and never got round to fitting them.

Thanks Neil, those little babies in the link look the puppies danglies :thumbs: Couple of questions, what dimmer switch/rating would suit them and are they suitable for a bathroom as well? Can I get them locally, if so where?

Are the ones in your van suitable for a bathroom and are they LED's? Doh!! just re=read your last post :blush: The Halogen bulbs are useless, so LED's are going in all lamps.

They ones are one piece. Suitable for bathrooms etc. a normal dimmer switch will do them. I can price them for you on monday for the halers ones in link. You no me, I'll don't want to make anything off you so I'll get the best trade price through my company and then let you know. If you want me to go ahead they will come with reciept and warranty.

The transformers are just for normal spots which I wouldn't recommend. They are cheap and nasty and not fire rated or splash proof like the above units