Thoughts on 4 days in Ireland

ianphampton

Spent the bank holiday weekend in Ireland.

The Zed performed faultlessly, and the roads and traffic levels are like maybe 25 years ago – the joys of the open road! It’s sort of like Scotland, but probably better. We drove Dublin – Bangor – Belfast, round the North Antrim coast road, to Giants Causeway and Bushmills (!) and then round to Donegal and back to Dublin. 907.4 miles at 26.5 mpg overall. Some of this was on 95 octane and most of it was fairly non-spirited driving – I was enjoying the scenery too much to ‘press-on’ in the driving, especially after a couple of heavy bounces. (I normally keep the springing fairly soft when touring with the girlfriend, BUT . . . .)

A couple of points to note, though:-

1) Put your coilovers on HARD. The roads are open, and they call you to give your girl a few beans and let her relish the driving! However, although there may not be that many potholes, they are NOT smooth, and after 3 nasty bottoming experiences – wound the BC Racing coilovers up to 20 rears 24 fronts to try and stop hitting the floor! (One time, overtaking at about 70 on a B road, dead straight for about 3 miles, but I was coming down from a lift / bump and hit a catseye with such a crash, it brought tears to my eyes)

Here’s what happened to my Y pipe flexible – now suitably bodged up with Gun Gum and a small tin (removed the spam) and 2 jubilee clips. I’m quite pleased with the repair, but will have to get a new Y pipe in the not-very-distant future. (Apologies for the phone camera picture)

FrayedYPipeFlexi.jpg

2) You can only get 98RON in the area around Belfast – and it’s not available in the South AT ALL. Believe me, I looked, and asked – over near Donegal found several garages with a pump dedicated to Red Diesel – but they don’t do 98 RON ! Of course, any business needs to cater for what it’s customers want – and in Southern Ireland, it’s Red diesel, not 98 petrol!

Overall – I think Ireland is a hidden treasure. The people are great, the countryside is beautiful, and the roads are an absolute joy, with minimal traffic and courteous fellow motorists. Don’t tell anybody about it, or they’ll all want to go. I will definitely be going again.

Yeah the Antrim coast road or A2? is amazing, I was working in Larne for 3 months last year and most evenings i would go out on that road and drive hard, it's fantastic with nice corners, good straights, hardly any traffic and a decent length not to mention the views and being able to see Scotland as you drive along.

Too late, I already know about it :p

I agree with you about the roads, not many pot holes but they are far from smooth, especially around the rural routes you'd have taken. The Antrim coast is stunning, I was up there 2 weeks ago when the sun was shining making the sea a beautiful blue, especially around the rope bridge which I presume you didn't visit while on the coast as you'd have mentioned it, pretty scary :dummy:

As for the fuel, almost impossible to get in the south, but 97 is everywhere here, just no 99 :( You probably spent most of your time away from the cities and large towns so came across mainly local garages or the likes of Maxol etc which are pants, but every large town has a BP for your 97.

There are actually quite a few garages even in large town with dedicated red diesel pumps. No matter what town you're in, there are farmers pretty close and need to fill those old work horses somewhere.

I'm glad to hear you had a great time, except for the cats eye incident :thumbs: Wish i'd have known you were coming over I could have given you a few real hidden treasures on your route :drunk:

There are actually quite a few garages even in large town with dedicated red diesel pumps. No matter what town you're in, there are farmers pretty close and need to fill those old work horses somewhere.

Really? Do you need some sort of permit to buy it from a pump?

Pete

Really? Do you need some sort of permit to buy it from a pump?

Pete

Nope, quite a few times you'll find the red diesel round the back of the garage and it's only privately owned garages that sell it.

"It’s sort of like Scotland, but probably better"

Well thats just endeared you to 5.2 million Scots, thank god you didnt put your address on.

This was not meant to denigrate anyone - see my post "Bowmore Single Malt and the Z" - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50386 where I love driving in Scotland! I just think . . . ummm . . .

OK, when you hit the bottom, it's a good idea to stop digging.

Lets just say I really enjoy both Scotland and Ireland.

(Please no replies about England - though you'll have a hard time convincing me the M6 / M25 / M62 / all of the above are not designed and managed by cretinous morons. The only time you get any real joy of motoring around most of England is between 1am and 5am when the roads aren't choked by so many idiots) (Sorry about the rant)