car detailing washing

shane1964

B) yep the suns out , and washed my beast , the car that is, looked at all different angles of time and money wasted, and different opinions and doubt if anyone will like or understand, but im 48 and when i was younger and had energy i used to spend hrs washing and waxing and cleaning my sunbeam lotus, (20 odd yrs ago) , then after 6 hrs of graft the next day on the way to work it would rain and on the bypass following lorrys and heavy traffic by the time i got home the car looked shite, and then i changed my car washing experience , i decided not to waste valuable hrs every month polishing waxing, so what i do is get a bucket, fill with water and shampoo, wash the car and leather it, takes about 45 mins, and wax it every six months, job done, then consider the value, if you bought a car brand new drove it home put it in your garage with a dust sheet over it for 5 yrs and decided to sell it , it would be worth at least half of what you paid despite a handfull of miles and mint paintwork, unless you have a rare super car thats worth millions your polishing a turd , thats loosing money every wk in value despite your hrs of loving polish and claybar extreme nonsense , and yesterday i spoke to a car detailer who told me hed spent 34 hrs on a customers standard ford fiesta, and charged £400 what a waste and what a mug, so my view is yes wash your car and keep it clean , but dont spend hundreds every year and waste hrs and hrs , cos it will probably hiss it down tomorrow , enjoy your tin box and remember the more miles appear, and with every year its worth less and less, included a picture of my turd, 45 mins wasted washing and leathering but saved myself 4hrs of detailing and some money :boat:

Or you could go with the theory, like the old 240z's, are appreciating again. It takes time, but if someone's into owning a car, any car for a long period of time, then it pays to look after it. Also even if for a shorter period, one that's tidy and clean will always sell more easily than a rough one.

But I know what you mean. Really quite annoying is you've spent many hours detailing, only for wet weather on the way to a meet. :headhurt:

I used to have 4hr detailing sessions every month but don't have so much free time anymore so only get the works (fallout remover, clay, paint cleanse, sealant/wax) twice a year.

In the winter I'll wash the car in under half an hour and don't even dry it.

But the thorough detail every 6 months means a weekly wash is very quick with top up products like wax it wet and demon shine being cheap and fast.

If I had time I would still wax every month just for the pleasure and that super slick feel of the paint :p regardless of any value it may or may not add to the zed

I won't go into how often or how much time I spend cleaning my car....

At the end of the day it's all about personal taste.... I enjoy having my car super clean. Someone in Wales can't remember who, said "how old is your car" I said "6 years". They couldn't believe the car was that old with the presentation of how it looks.

If you've got time its a bonus which I have lots of at the moment :yahoo:

I also spend a silly amount of time detailing my cars, and sort of always have done although i think it's got worse since having the Zed. For me it's got nothing to do with preserving the paintwork for resale value or anything like that, it's about two things: the pride taken in a good job, and the feeling that the car deserves to look its best and stand out and that i'd be letting it down by keeping it scruffy and dirty. It's all very well saying that detailing is a waste of time and money for no financial return, but not everything is measured in £ notes.

DB

I also spend a silly amount of time detailing my cars, and sort of always have done although i think it's got worse since having the Zed. For me it's got nothing to do with preserving the paintwork for resale value or anything like that, it's about two things: the pride taken in a good job, and the feeling that the car deserves to look its best and stand out and that i'd be letting it down by keeping it scruffy and dirty. It's all very well saying that detailing is a waste of time and money for no financial return, but not everything is measured in £ notes.

DB

+1

Most things in life are a waste of money, doesn't stop us from doing it though :lol:

DB

+1

Most things in life are a waste of money, doesn't stop us from doing it though :lol:

+1 Totally agree - it's not just about the value of the car; I work in an office all week and I like being out on a sunny day working to keep the car looking good. Quite often end up with people who live in the road wandering over for a chat about the car.

:wacko: i missed a big point, probably best to wash and keep clean at a doom and gloom time in the winter when its freezing and dark and wet , to keep the salt and grime down, to reduce the damage that that salt does to ali wheels brakes and body work.

its amazing how quick a motorbike degrades in the winter months, insects and road tar in the summer, oh and the feathered bombers, flying @*!# machines, i think nowadays have lazer guidance , cos they always get my car when its clean.. ! :thumbs: shane1964