Potential Scotland Tour

waltzinblack

If this forum arranged some sort of Scotland thing, like the Wales thing, maybe 5 days or something, I would be proper interested in that tour!

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=51157

and the pics ;)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=53597&hilit=2011+hoon+pictures

Funniest thing I've read all week :lol:

Fair play it's been done before, but would peeps be interested in doing it again this year? No mention of it in either thread.

L

But I think you are missing out by not going up and over Applecross and you really to use the A832 between Kinlochewe and Achnasheen

I see, I've heard about Applecross! What route would you take though? I really want to do that top bit of the A832 too, but I can't work out where to lose any journey time to make up for it!

What I would do on your limited timesale and from previous experience, but no doubt some locals can offer better :shrug:

http://goo.gl/maps/n5zr

You will be pushed though to get through just that 520 odd miles in two days without knackering yourself.

Takes in the A831 through The Trossachs, a great test for ZED and driver ;)

Look out for the Gleaner petrol stations for the higher octane petrol (like the one at Kyle of Lochalsh just past the Eilean Dolan where I suggest you brim up before the next leg and should get round to the Inverness area for another fill) and check their whereabouts before you leave as otherwise you might end up having to get by on 95.

Thanks for that Ebized, I will probably adopt that as the route, maybe with a little detour to Loch Ness!

So where are the last Shell Vpower garages before I get into the sticks? That's my next problem!

If you have a Gayphone or Android phone you can download the Shell app which will tell you all.

Thanks for that Ebized, I will probably adopt that as the route, maybe with a little detour to Loch Ness!

So where are the last Shell Vpower garages before I get into the sticks? That's my next problem!

If you have a Gayphone or Android phone you can download the Shell app which will tell you all.

Yeah I know.. I'm just not sure I trust how often they update it, and especially the availability of Vpower. It only has 3 stars from what I remember too! Local knowledge is the key here! But thanks for the input :)

Yeah I know.. I'm just not sure I trust how often they update it, and especially the availability of Vpower. It only has 3 stars from what I remember too! Local knowledge is the key here! But thanks for the input :)

No shell stations I'm afraid. Gleaner supply overpriced shell fuels. Ullapool has one. Inverness has everything and the others you'll find dotted about. :)

As long as their super is good enough to protect the engine on some spirited driving then its all good. Went on their website and they seem pretty generously dotted around the proposed route.

The next question I guess is.. who can advise on a sensible half way point + a really nice b&B to stay in somewhere on that route?

Thanks to everyone who is contributing, your help is invaluable and will be rewarded with lots of pics when the trip is done!

Ullapool is a cracking place with plenty of B&Bs, a few pubs with decent food and a filling station that certainly used to do super.

It's fairly far up but sensibly placed.

Ullapool is a cracking place with plenty of B&Bs, a few pubs with decent food and a filling station that certainly used to do super.

It's fairly far up but sensibly placed.

+1 we stayed at a great place in ullapool, fantastic b&b with views over the loch. A real highlight of the hoon.

certainly used to do super.

Not filling me with confidence! haha. I think I will ring Gleaner and find out what stations they supply Super to.

Thanks for recommending Ullapool though, I hope it wouldnt be too much of an added detour to Ecized's much more realistic route.

certainly used to do super.

Not filling me with confidence! haha. I think I will ring Gleaner and find out what stations they supply Super to.

Thanks for recommending Ullapool though, I hope it wouldnt be too much of an added detour to Ecized's much more realistic route.

Well in the 4 or 5 years I've been regularly visiting they've always had. I don't want to say 'definately' as I haven't been up this year yet. :)

Ullapool will be taken in on Ebizeds route. :)

Unfortunately the route will be Ebized's here

View Larger Map

Plus the journey from Sheffield and back. That bit can be done early sat morning and very late sun night, but still needs to be added on! Extending it to ullapool/associated areas would be too much I fear, from what you're all telling me! So I guess I'll need other B&B location suggestions! Nicest as possible - cost not too much of a problem as its only one night. B)

I think I better come along after planning it for you :lol:

Seems ideal (to me) about half way on route and the food is great - but I haven't checked if they have rooms, but if not there is static caravan site just behnd the pub and they might give you details if they are full ;)

http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/tariffs.htm

Haha, more the merrier! :blush:

Sounds pretty good, I'll give them a ring first thing tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your help Ebized and everyone else, really has been invaluable.

I'm also gonna call Gleaner tomorrow and check they have Super unleaded in most/all their stations. Please tell me its at least 98 Octane!

I think I better come along after planning it for you :lol:

Seems ideal (to me) about half way on route and the food is great - but I haven't checked if they have rooms, but if not there is static caravan site just behnd the pub and they might give you details if they are full ;)

http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/tariffs.htm

Haha, more the merrier! :blush:

Sounds pretty good, I'll give them a ring first thing tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your help Ebized and everyone else, really has been invaluable.

I'm also gonna call Gleaner tomorrow and check they have Super unleaded in most/all their stations. Please tell me its at least 98 Octane!

High Octane fuel would be the least of my worries, very few roads will allow you to get anywhere near the right hand side of the rev counter. I'd be more worried about the lambs, calves and roe deer that'll be jumping in front of you!

And those that do have super have 99. It's V Power. It's supplied by Shell as is all Gleaner fuel. I never use 'Scottish Fuels' stations so no idea what they sell.

High Octane fuel would be the least of my worries, very few roads will allow you to get anywhere near the right hand side of the rev counter. I'd be more worried about the lambs, calves and roe deer that'll be jumping in front of you!

And those that do have super have 99. It's V Power. It's supplied by Shell as is all Gleaner fuel. I never use 'Scottish Fuels' stations so no idea what they sell.

Awesome about the fuel. And I still don't like the idea of using normal unleaded even if I drive gently. I'm paranoid like that.

Animals I'm pretty used to. Even though I'm only in Hertfordshire, there's a massive deer population around my village. Caused a lot of people (including my girlfriend :surrender: ) to have quite bad accidents. But thanks for the heads up I'll make sure I'm on the look out and driving with extra care and attention, especially at night.

Thanks again, really excited for this. It will be one of the last hurrahs for the Zed I think.. tempted by a Corvette after the summer is out.... :ban:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...