HELP: 5th gear change: Test Drive

DaJimstar

Hi,

Test drove a lovely 350z yesterday, gear change was fine, no noises (it had its p3 in nov). 13k on the clock. But I kept struggling to find/get it into 5th gear, absolutely no grind/whirring etc :shrug: . The guy out driving with me took it on an additional run with him driving after me, he got it into 5th no problem at low speeds and at spirited levels of driving no problem..

S0:

1) Does the transmission spacing take some getting used to? Its just I floated into all other gears but often felt like I was travelling wide right of 5th?

It’s having an AA inspection on Tue and I am asking for that to be focussed on, on the road test.

2) I am buying it from a garage. In addition to the AA test is it worth me asking them to have a proper look, they seemed really genuine and I am sure they would…

3) I also have a 6month return to base warranty direct with them (not insuranced backed). So could always take to an inde as soon as I get it and get a 2nd inspection. what do you think? :headhurt:

I fell in love with the car and I am hoping it was my gear changing not the car :blush:

Would you more experienced folk have any concerns?

P.s I have searched the forum for an hour and could not find much, found loads on the programs 5th gear and top gear, but not much about this issue. :)

Please help me.. :cold: I would be so great full. :blush:

I've found if its cold and you don't let it warm up properly it can be hard to get it in to certain gears.. once warmed I've had no issues getting it in to gear.. would it be worth going back and letting it warm up before playing around again?.. that said I don't think I've had a problem getting in to fifth

Just a thought, you do know that 5th and 6th are 'sprung' ? You have to pull lightly towards yourself to get them. When you come out of 5th or 6th the spring will pop you into the gate for 3rd and 4th.

Just a thought, you do know that 5th and 6th are 'sprung' ? You have to pull lightly towards yourself to get them. When you come out of 5th or 6th the spring will pop you into the gate for 3rd and 4th.

it was when going from 4th to 5th, and no buddy did not know they were sprung.. thankyou :) I just hope it was me not knowing how to drive the car..

is it possible to go right of the 5th gate?

The box does take some getting used too IMO, I always struggled with first, second combo. but once warmed up, it was fine. :yahoo:

As long as your ass points too the floor, the warranty wont be worth zip. :thumbdown:

Go and test drive another one and compare.com! :teeth:

If your having concerns, walk away. thats what i would do anyway :thumbs:

The box does take some getting used too IMO, I always struggled with first, second combo. but once warmed up, it was fine. :yahoo:

As long as your ass points too the floor, the warranty wont be worth zip. :thumbdown:

Go and test drive another one and compare.com! :teeth:

If your having concerns, walk away. thats what i would do anyway :thumbs:

This :thumbs:

You shouldnt be getting any issues with 5th, go back explain your worries and sort the issue out before you buy. Without driving put it through its gears for a few times until your happy and have another test drive. You should be able to slip thorough to the 5th with no issues, if anything first to second is normally the clunky one. Best of luck and stick a few pics up if you sort it out and buy it. :thumbs:

Where abouts in Manchester are you based?

Could let you play with my box maybe :lol:

your a sick man©.. Edge of city centre my friend.. and you.. PM if its easier.. I WOULD love to compare in yours... that would be amaizing bud..

You shouldnt be getting any issues with 5th, go back explain your worries and sort the issue out before you buy. Without driving put it through its gears for a few times until your happy and have another test drive. You should be able to slip thorough to the 5th with no issues, if anything first to second is normally the clunky one. Best of luck and stick a few pics up if you sort it out and buy it. :thumbs:

all gears were fine, it did go in 5th no worries when i found it, i just seemed to travel wide right of the gate, is that possible? another test drive is an absolute must i feel... its the other end of the country to me, so its getting expensive :D:D

i loved it..

As Paul and Neil say it does take some getting used to.

If honest a lot of new owners will admit to doing 4th 3rd instead of 4th 5th when they first got the car. I did. :blush:

Go back,just sit in the car and go through the gears to feel the set up. As in, when you come out of 4th into neutral use one finger to feel the 'light' spring/pressure.

Where abouts in Manchester are you based?

Could let you play with my box maybe :lol:

Solution. :thumbs: But beware that man,that was post '666' spoookeyy. :lol::lol:

Thats good advice.. I will be aware :ninja:

All, thanks so much so far. You really are helping and this is an awesome forum.

I have put a deposit down, they have removed from sale, its all fully refundable. I will go back and drive again. i literally met everyone who worked there, all complete petrol heads so I will also get the mechanics to take it out and see what they think...

I am in love: see pics

I've found , more than any other car I've driven, it needs 'proper' gear changing, as I was taught all those years ago when I learnt to drive. You don't hold/grip the gear knob, you just push or pull with palm (fingers for 3 to 4) so for 5th you should push with your palm at about 7-8 o'clock on the knob, that way it can only go into 5th, not jam on the gate between 3 and 5. for 6th you'd put pressure on the knob at about 10-11 o'clock. Make sense? Easier to do than explain! But if you're 'holding' the lever it's easier to catch the gate.

I've found , more than any other car I've driven, it needs 'proper' gear changing, as I was taught all those years ago when I learnt to drive. You don't hold/grip the gear knob, you just push or pull with palm (fingers for 3 to 4) so for 5th you should push with your palm at about 7-8 o'clock on the knob, that way it can only go into 5th, not jam on the gate between 3 and 5. for 6th you'd put pressure on the knob at about 10-11 o'clock. Make sense? Easier to do than explain! But if you're 'holding' the lever it's easier to catch the gate.

that does make sense, i was holding it.. I am certain it was me, a couple of test drives and another drive of this will verify.. i will also get a couple of the guys in the actual garage bit (one a 350z former owner) to take it out.. they were all sound guys...

Just takes getting used to as others have said, 3rd to 4th is not a fluid 1 movement it is a definite 2 part job.... I love the 350 gear change it is very industrial makes you feel like you are part of the whole process not just pressing a button or flapoing a paddle :thumbs: