Stock v Scorpion v Cobra

swifty

My stock 350z (04) exhaust has given up the ghost and I need a new back box and mid pipe.

I've been quoted £360 for a replacement oem exhaust but am wondering if I'm better off with a Scorpion or Cobra. From listening to various sound clips, I'm favouring the Cobra. However, what would be the benefits of that or the Scorpion over the stock exhaust?

I don't want to push the budget too high as Ive a few other things costing me a small fortune at the min.

Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

I don't know to be honest but that's what I was quoted in getting it replaced when it was with Nissan for a service.

I can't imagine it does but then again, it definitely needs both sections. I saw the sorry evidence for myself when I had it up on a ramp this morn!

hi swifty i went with a japspeed k2 box and mid section if you like the oem look except its all nice shiny stainless steel, this and the scorpion system are pretty similar, me and my mate (jamesdean) spent alot of time picking our exhausts as they can sound very different. (he has a japspeed k1 and sounds totally different.) so it depends if you want a slightly deeper oem sound or a more aggressive roar. :shrug:

Happy sound hunting :thumbs:

It's at the joint between the midpipe and the pipe leading into the back box, round by the gaskets, which I'm assuming is the usual place? Looked pretty rotten!

That's the usual area...:)

Thought it might be! :doh:

hi swifty i went with a japspeed k2 box and mid section if you like the oem look except its all nice shiny stainless steel, this and the scorpion system are pretty similar, me and my mate (jamesdean) spent alot of time picking our exhausts as they can sound very different. (he has a japspeed k1 and sounds totally different.) so it depends if you want a slightly deeper oem sound or a more aggressive roar. :shrug:

Happy sound hunting :thumbs:

Cheers. From what I've read the K1 is going to be too loud. The gf is complaining enough without moaning once I'm driving her round in the bloody thing! :blackeye:

I might just trade her in and get the Nismo! :yahoo:

Cheers CS. I've watch that vid a few times and that's what's leading me towards the Cobra. Sounds brilliant.

I'm off driving down to France at the end of the month so want something to compete with my mate's Tuscan and its bloody sports exhaust! :boxing:

Would the Cobra be considered as 'performance enhancing'?

Insurers are refusing to say whether they consider it as one. However, if it is, it invalidates my insurance.

not OEM so declare it.

You'll gave to dyno to decide if it's performance enhancing.

I'd avoid japseye stuff personally.....scorpion and cobra are better quality.

Scorpion is in my opinion a better sound.....cobra is far better looking.

I opted for Cobra after going to a car meet and listening to both Scorpion and the Cobra. Wasnt much in it for me between the two but with the 4 optional tail pipes to choose from also help swing it for me.

Some more vids for you if you have not seen already. 1 off it just coming off the ramps and a few more post down some links to some you tube vids :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=52465&start=45

Steve.

Appreciate the replies.

My insurance are being absolute d!cks re a non-stock exhaust so now also looking at other companies. Shame this didn't happen a couple of months ago before I renewed as I've already found better cover for same price :bang:

I was in the same boat as you, can't get insured with an aftermarket exhaust and didn't want to pay £360 for a new backbox. I just had mine patched up, it's pretty easy and anyone with any steel welding experience should be able to join the 2 pipes together.

I went for scorpion when faced with this choice. Cobra was that bit more expensive and its also louder. The scorpion is nice. I find noticeably more bass in the cabin on the motorway when under any level of load but I have the roadster. If you let the cruise control deal with the throttle rather than your foot its totally silent.