What to look for when buying a petrol lawnmower?

marzman

So its that time of year again when i have to start mowing the lawns :thumbdown:

I hired a gardener to do it last year but would rather do it myself i think, as its not that much work - im just lazy!

I've got a Flymo Hovermo at the moment which is crap (I had to empty it 17 times today when doing the front and back lawns!), plus it doesnt hover that well - i end up pushing it up and down the lawn with my foot. :blush:

So - im thinking about getting a 2nd hand petrol mower... want to spend about £75 ideally. I've had a look around and there are lots at this price, but wondered if anyone has any experience with them? What are they like maintenance-wise? Do they cut well or do you have to keep re-tracing your steps? How do the cheap petrol mowers compare to the similarly priced electric mowers with wheels?

Any comments welcome.

Dad had an old petrol ride on mower with something like 4 gears. Huge thing it was and the first two gears had broken. I remember when i was little seeing him race around the garden at20mph plus trying to cut the borders without ploughing into the trees.

My first gardener was call Doug ... Doug the Gardener ... get it ? ... He charged £6 a throw ... at the time, a new Honda was about £300 and the grass was cut twice a month for 6 months of the year, so I reckoned I could get about 4 years use out of dug ... sorry Doug ... before I was out of pocket ... and this was exclusive of the cost of fuel and maintenance, so lets say 6 years .... however Doug fell ill and was unable to carry on, my next gardener went bust, the next one was booking time and not attending, the next left without an explanation, and the one I've got now charges £18 a go .... sooooo I'm thinking .....

.... it may be time to get a really good lawn mower that the wifey can handle :thumbs:

My first gardener was call Doug ... Doug the Gardener ... get it ? ... He charged £6 a throw ... at the time, a new Honda was about £300 and the grass was cut twice a month for 6 months of the year, so I reckoned I could get about 4 years use out of dug ... sorry Doug ... before I was out of pocket ... and this was exclusive of the cost of fuel and maintenance, so lets say 6 years .... however Doug fell ill and was unable to carry on, my next gardener went bust, the next one was booking time and not attending, the next left without an explanation, and the one I've got now charges £18 a go .... sooooo I'm thinking .....

.... it may be time to get a really good lawn mower that the wifey can handle :thumbs:

:lol: Now if my gardener was £6 a time i'd be happy, but no - they charge £20 just to mow both lawns ( and this was the 3rd one i had round for a quote, and was the cheapest). Must only take them 20mins to do.

So for me a £75 lawnmower is only 2 months' of mowing, not 6 years :lol:

The only comment I have Chris is that you need to get out a bit more..... :p Lawnmower advice, how old are you?

Ha ha, im only 28... but anything with an engine interests me :lol::lol:

When I was your age, I had a push mower. Did a great job. You can pick them up from a car boot for less than a fiver and think of all that good excercise you'd get. :thumbs:

Bought a basic petrol mower from HOMEBASE 11 years ago. It cost me £110 at the time and was a rotary cut (same as a flymow) but obviously on wheels with a petrol engine. Engine is a BRIGGS & STRATTON.

I have a pretty large lawn. It takes about 30 minutes to cut front and back. Lawn mower was never serviced in the whole of its 11 years, stood outside uncovered all year round, and never even had the blade sharpened.......

It finally gave up the ghost last October in a puff of thick black smoke.

So been up to HOMEBASE today, and they have an almost identical model, with same engine as the last one, on sale at £129 reduced from £199. Going back with the pickup tomorrow to buy it. (dont think it will fit in the Zed, lol)

Can't recommend it highly enough. Certainly wont be buying a Hayter, or Qualcast, as they basically have the same motor but are £400+.

Good luck.

Paul

Bought a basic petrol mower from HOMEBASE 11 years ago. It cost me £110 at the time and was a rotary cut (same as a flymow) but obviously on wheels with a petrol engine. Engine is a BRIGGS & STRATTON.

I have a pretty large lawn. It takes about 30 minutes to cut front and back. Lawn mower was never serviced in the whole of its 11 years, stood outside uncovered all year round, and never even had the blade sharpened.......

It finally gave up the ghost last October in a puff of thick black smoke.

So been up to HOMEBASE today, and they have an almost identical model, with same engine as the last one, on sale at £129 reduced from £199. Going back with the pickup tomorrow to buy it. (dont think it will fit in the Zed, lol)

Can't recommend it highly enough. Certainly wont be buying a Hayter, or Qualcast, as they basically have the same motor but are £400+.

Good luck.

Paul

Cool, tempting - cheers :thumbs:

Now if my gardener was £6 a time i'd be happy, but no - they charge £20 just to mow both lawns ( and this was the 3rd one i had round for a quote, and was the cheapest). Must only take them 20mins to do.

So for me a £75 lawnmower is only 2 months' of mowing, not 6 years :lol:

If you have to get someone in to mow the lawn, factor in, they have to buy and maintain the mower/s & equipment, time to get to your place from the previous, and the physical time to mow, it's all time. No idea what the going rate over there.

Briggs and Stratton engine is always a plus point :thumbs:

It certainly is. :thumbs: Great machines.

The old petrol ones with the bucket on the front give the best cut B) , plus they are really noisy - just for the neighbours :lol:

Have a search for reconditioned ones in your local area, I am sure like down here there is an old boy somewhere with a front garden full of them, that he just repairs and sells :thumbs:

or if you feel like putting a bit more effort in.....

florian-hauswirth-bicycle-lawnmower-1-537x429.jpg

:lol:

as the saying goes your 'pay for what you get' a £100 lawn mower is as cheap as chips so don't expect too much from it as for Briggs & Stratton well there cheap engines built for places like B&Q etc just like Franke kitchen sinks where the best and now there sold by B&Q these companys build cheaper goods at low cost just for these markets. Save up some more and buy a used Honda 17" blade self propelled mower for about £200 maybe £250 your going to put that money in the Zed after 3 visits to the petrol station and Honda mowers are a sound investment that are repairable unlike all the B&Q ones which you will find mower repair shops will not do as there just chuck away things.

I have had my Honda mower for 20 years and serviced every 4 years and it's left outside in all weathers it starts first time on every pull.

as the saying goes your 'pay for what you get' a £100 lawn mower is as cheap as chips so don't expect too much from it as for Briggs & Stratton well there cheap engines built for places like B&Q etc just like Franke kitchen sinks where the best and now there sold by B&Q these companys build cheaper goods at low cost just for these markets. Save up some more and buy a used Honda 17" blade self propelled mower for about £200 maybe £250 your going to put that money in the Zed after 3 visits to the petrol station and Honda mowers are a sound investment that are repairable unlike all the B&Q ones which you will find mower repair shops will not do as there just chuck away things.

I have had my Honda mower for 20 years and serviced every 4 years and it's left outside in all weathers it starts first time on every pull.

Fair point, but mine was just over £100, lasted 11 years, never serviced and always outside and still started first pull everytime. Imagine if it had been serviced? Might still be working :lol:

As for Franke sinks... Just cos B&Q sell them, doesn't mean they are now rubbish !!!

as for Briggs & Stratton well there cheap engines built for places like B&Q

That in general is incorrect. Granted Briggs and Stratton make some cheap engines that are sometimes mated to cheap chassis's (sometimes plastic) for the likes of B&Q, but equally Briggs and Stratton make expensive engines that can be found on the more professional/expensive mower. I got one for my dad last year that was the best part of £500 and that as a Briggs engine on it at 190cc and its a corking engine very powerful. :)

You dont find these in B&Q and with a downloadable spare parts catalogue ;)

http://www.gardencaredirect.com/product ... mower.aspx

as for Briggs & Stratton well there cheap engines built for places like B&Q

That in general is incorrect. Granted Briggs and Stratton make some cheap engines that are sometimes mated to cheap chassis's (sometimes plastic) for the likes of B&Q, but equally Briggs and Stratton make expensive engines that can be found on the more professional/expensive mower. I got one for my dad last year that was the best part of £500 and that as a Briggs engine on it at 190cc and its a corking engine very powerful. :)

Thank you for saying that, you saved me. :thumbs: We've always had a good run from our B & S's. One of our mowers, has done over 300 hours, that's a lot of mowing, and it's still running strong, always serviced properly, admittedly it's more your professional type mower. Had similar from our others too. :thumbs: Reasonably engineered, but like most things they're designed by boffins, that don't have much practical working/usage knowledge. Our ones are all made in Aussie. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.