Gadget experts advice on TV's

rickya

Im looking to buy an averagley priced 37" or 42" (not alloys!) LCD or Plasma TV, anyone know of any good deals or good models to go for or ones to avoid. Iv done a little research & come up with a few, any help appreciated :thumbs:

LG LG42PC1RV (42" plasma) £560

Toshiba 37WLT66 (37" LCD) £735

Panasonic (Viera)TH37PX60B (37" plasma with stand) £900

Thanks,

Ricky :D

Mine are both LCD and are magic. Not sure on the plasmas. I think they are decent enough. My old man has an LCD Bravia and I wouldn't hesitate in buying one!

Out of the ones listed I'd go Viera. You might get something much better by adding a couple of hundred quid to the budget. Just a thought....

I've got the Tosh 42WLT66 LCD and I'm happy as a pig in shi... Hooked up to Sky HD + Denon 7.1 amp + Missions it is superb!

My mate just bought a 32WLT68, and has had a few issues between his Sky+ box and the tv, namely picture judder when changing channel. I had the same problem with mine too. Problem was solved by using the HDMI lead from Sky box, he doesn't have that option though and he's on his 3rd TV in 3 weeks.

Sony Bravia is good, another one of my mates has one, only thing I noticed (although its a 46") is some fading in the corners.

What hifi Sound and Vision recently did a test on 32" Tvs and the following website is good too...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Hope this is of some help

Ross

plasma tv's have better fine detail quality in my experience. Also if you cantry and go I and not P

Mike - I think thats the wrong way round, if you are talking about Interlace and Progressive.

In simple terms, Interlace displays half the lines on one scan of the screen, and the other half the next time round at 30fps, then you get the odd lines every 60th of a second and the even lines every other 60th of a second. (giving 30fps)

With Progressive, you get every line every time, so giving 60fps.

If you can go progressive, then do it, but to be honest, I can set mine to 720p or 1080i, and I cant tell the difference from the sofa.

Ive got a Pioneer Plasma, and a LCD upstairs. The contrast ratio on the Plasma is FAR superior to LCD. Which makes it far more useable in the daylight and for low light scenes.

LCD sometimes states a very high contrast ratio, but this will almost certanly be "dynamic" contrast ratio. The way an LCD produces this is it adjusts according to the scene. If its a very bright scene, the whole backlight is increased to produce a very bright image, if it is a dark scene the backlight is dimmed. Whilst this works very well, if you have a dark scene with bright spots - the backlight cant do both, so it comprimises, and you sometimes end up with a great dark scene, but with any light bits within that scene looking slightly washed out.

Then you have the "burn" effect to consider. Plasmas are inherrently more susceptible to burn than LCD.

If you have a static light image set on a darker background displayed for a long time on a plasma, you are risking burn. Whilst more modern Plasmas are a lot more resilient to this, they can still suffer it. More commonly, it is image retention, which means after a while of normal viewing the "burned" image dissappears.

LCD's are almost impossible to burn, (note "almost" - leave a static image on an LCD for a day or so and you may be in touble).

If you have kids that may leave CBB's on fo hours on end or any music channel that has one of those ridiculous static logos, it may be something to consider.

(look for a zoom function, so you can zoom a logo off the screen if that is a concern).

plasma tv's have better fine detail quality in my experience. Also if you cantry and go I and not P

Mike - I think thats the wrong way round, if you are talking about Interlace and Progressive.

In simple terms, Interlace displays half the lines on one scan of the screen, and the other half the next time round at 30fps, then you get the odd lines every 60th of a second and the even lines every other 60th of a second. (giving 30fps)

With Progressive, you get every line every time, so giving 60fps.

If you can go progressive, then do it, but to be honest, I can set mine to 720p or 1080i, and I cant tell the difference from the sofa.

Ive got a Pioneer Plasma, and a LCD upstairs. The contrast ratio on the Plasma is FAR superior to LCD. Which makes it far more useable in the daylight and for low light scenes.

LCD sometimes states a very high contrast ratio, but this will almost certanly be "dynamic" contrast ratio. The way an LCD produces this is it adjusts according to the scene. If its a very bright scene, the whole backlight is increased to produce a very bright image, if it is a dark scene the backlight is dimmed. Whilst this works very well, if you have a dark scene with bright spots - the backlight cant do both, so it comprimises, and you sometimes end up with a great dark scene, but with any light bits within that scene looking slightly washed out.

Then you have the "burn" effect to consider. Plasmas are inherrently more susceptible to burn than LCD.

If you have a static light image set on a darker background displayed for a long time on a plasma, you are risking burn. Whilst more modern Plasmas are a lot more resilient to this, they can still suffer it. More commonly, it is image retention, which means after a while of normal viewing the "burned" image dissappears.

LCD's are almost impossible to burn, (note "almost" - leave a static image on an LCD for a day or so and you may be in touble).

If you have kids that may leave CBB's on fo hours on end or any music channel that has one of those ridiculous static logos, it may be something to consider.

(look for a zoom function, so you can zoom a logo off the screen if that is a concern).

many programs are shot in fields though and so if you can have a telly that does both then that is better option. It's things that are shot on film or video shot on P mode which works best on Progressive scan. Sometimes you are prone to flicker if a video had been made to look like film.

Also consider the not so good black levels on a LCD tv.