Check for Fumes/Exhaust Leak

agentsmith350

Hi,

Recently iv noticed the smell of the exhaust more and more insude the cabin , its at the point now were i cant smell it all the time but feel like iv got petrol on my skin , Have a bad head after 5 mins driving ect.

Im arranging for it to go on a lift to get checked out this week.

I had a look myself yesterday and theres a tiny bit of water coming out the join to the backbox , other than that i cant see anything that would cause it , especially in the cabin.

Do any of you have any ideas on things i could check myself until it goes up on the ramps ?

Dom

I've always used 'Holts Firegum assembly paste' and never had a leaky joint. :thumbs:

Obviously check all your joints, but check the flexi-pipes on the y-pipe as well. they can fail inside and you wont see it on the outside. You would normally hear any exhaust leak though.

I would also check the seal around your boot hatch for damage and make sure your boot is properly shut. Normally if your sucking in fumes its from the vacuum created at the rear of the car when in motion.

I had a look myself yesterday and theres a tiny bit of water coming out the join to the backbox

I wouldnt think you would get any siginficant exhaust smell in the cabin from a small water leak which will be a bit of exhaust condensation. You should really hear something from the exhaust if there was a major leak. I would stay away from gum pastes as they become brittle over time. There ar many high tempurature silicon sealant out there which will do the job better as they are flexible. Flexi joints on the y pipe may be leaking.

I've always used 'Holts Firegum assembly paste' and never had a leaky joint. :thumbs:

Obviously check all your joints, but check the flexi-pipes on the y-pipe as well. they can fail inside and you wont see it on the outside. You would normally hear any exhaust leak though.

I would also check the seal around your boot hatch for damage and make sure your boot is properly shut. Normally if your sucking in fumes its from the vacuum created at the rear of the car when in motion.

Thanks , I checked the seal around the boot at lunch and all looks ok , There isnt much between the boot and underneath the car as i remember when i was putting in the rear camera its a direct hole from the licence plate to behind the rear plastics.

Tightened the backbox join as much as possible but there is still a slight bit of condensation coming out of it so will try and put some sealant in the join and see what happens. I cant see any obvious leaks from the Y Pipe area but this is all while the car is on the ground as i havnt got access to a lift.

I think my next move is to put on the sealant at the rear and get someone to cover the exhaust tips while another revs to see if i can see anything further along.

Anything else outside of this ?

I had a look myself yesterday and theres a tiny bit of water coming out the join to the backbox

I wouldnt think you would get any siginficant exhaust smell in the cabin from a small water leak which will be a bit of exhaust condensation. You should really hear something from the exhaust if there was a major leak. I would stay away from gum pastes as they become brittle over time. There ar many high tempurature silicon sealant out there which will do the job better as they are flexible. Flexi joints on the y pipe may be leaking.

I thought this too , reading Sams comment about the vacuum i suppose it is possible though , It is loud but i have decats fitted so cant tell if its abnormal , I was going to go for some silicon sealant as i read about the problems with paste. The only one i found is rated up to 250C which although not ideal should be ok for the back box do you think ?

I had this when i first bought the car after a 200 mile drive home.It was awful, got a headache after being at a standstill for more than 20 seconds! I took it to my mates garage, and it turned out that the gasket between the cat and the exhaust had literally melted away. Put standard cat on instead of the decat and got a new gasket and haven't noticed it since. It sounds very similar to what mine was like, and i found it unbearable!

Good luck :thumbs:

Decats cause this smell, it will go away. I used to get out my car with my skin stinking of fumes for the first while after fitting decats. Mines had no leaks whatsoever as this was checked when I first smelt it. Unsure if it was the decat external coating causing it.

I had this when i first bought the car after a 200 mile drive home.It was awful, got a headache after being at a standstill for more than 20 seconds! I took it to my mates garage, and it turned out that the gasket between the cat and the exhaust had literally melted away. Put standard cat on instead of the decat and got a new gasket and haven't noticed it since. It sounds very similar to what mine was like, and i found it unbearable!

Good luck :thumbs:

Ahh , iv not long put the gaskets in between the decat and pipe so would hope it would not be that but thanks i will check that when i can get it on a ramp

Decats cause this smell, it will go away. I used to get out my car with my skin stinking of fumes for the first while after fitting decats. Mines had no leaks whatsoever as this was checked when I first smelt it. Unsure if it was the decat external coating causing it.

Iv had the decats on for a almost 2 months and its only just started happening , Did yours do that straight away or after a while ?

I removed and coated the backbox join with exhaust putty after work so will leave that to set and see what its like as well :thumbs:

:headhurt::surrender:

+1

Pm NeilP .... he has one for sale http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=59144 :thumbs:

Cheers matey :thumbs:

I have an uprev one sitting here which when I spoke to the exhaust fitter he said that he doesn't understand why a stainless one would make so much of a difference as it's almost the exact same :shrug:

Mines is going very cheap in very good condition. :thumbs:

Cheers guys :thumbs:

Just looking at aftermarket ones at the moment in case it would do the same thing to another flexi joint , does anyone know it this is right ?

Decats won't cause that. That looks as though it's has been rubbing on the ground. :shrug:

Just looking at aftermarket ones at the moment in case it would do the same thing to another flexi joint , does anyone know it this is right ?

Decats won't cause that. That looks as though it's has been rubbing on the ground. :shrug:

Its towards the top side under the chassis :wacko: , Its going to the garage on Friday to see whats happened and to patch it up for now.

Id think Decats but the other side is fine , But if its on the top side it cant be anything else sureley.. :headhurt:

Il probably be in touch Friday night :thumbs:

Its towards the top side under the chassis :wacko: , Its going to the garage on Friday to see whats happened and to patch it up for now.

Id think Decats but the other side is fine , But if its on the top side it cant be anything else sureley.. :headhurt:

Il probably be in touch Friday night :thumbs:

My guessing is that it may have been like that before you bought it tbh. Possibly the y-pipes been turned around to disquise it. I'm not so sure about that being able to be patched up tbh.

Never seen this before especially on the top side :console:

My guessing is that it may have been like that before you bought it tbh. Possibly the y-pipes been turned around to disquise it. I'm not so sure about that being able to be patched up tbh.

Dad owned it before me from new and never had a single issue with the entire car :blush:

Dad owned it before me from new and never had a single issue with the entire car :blush:

Very Very Bizarre :blackeye:

Hi Agentsmith350

My underside of my y-pipe is also scratched and scuffed like yours ( from terrible speed bumps) and I too get a smell but only at full chat. I wouldn't say it smelt like petrol though :shrug: Dont know if that helps you at all?

I have no intention of fixing it soon (flew through mot a few weeks ago and it's only when been pushing it smells). Also i should add i dont think i get the smell eveytime. Would be interesting to here if u find anything out though :thumbs:

Ricky

Hi Agentsmith350

My underside of my y-pipe is also scratched and scuffed like yours ( from terrible speed bumps) and I too get a smell but only at full chat. I wouldn't say it smelt like petrol though :shrug: Dont know if that helps you at all?

I have no intention of fixing it soon (flew through mot a few weeks ago and it's only when been pushing it smells). Also i should add i dont think i get the smell eveytime. Would be interesting to here if u find anything out though :thumbs:

Ricky

Thanks , Its at the point of stinging my eyes after a 5 min drive :scare: Will update with fridays findings