Advice please

Dynamic Turtle

OK so I took the car to a garage this morning to have the brakes looked at. They've been squeeling horribly and rubbing at low speed, causing an audible chafing sound.

1) The car had new pads put on it 400 miles ago, but the previous garage has "chamfered the pads heavily in an attempt to reduce squeeking, leaving only 70% of the pad touching the disc".

2) There are no shims on any of the pads (surprise surprise)

3) There is a small lip on the discs, approximately 1.25mm all around

Now, obviously the lack of shims appears to be the main culprit here. I've seen many posts where their absence has been blamed on brake squeel. My guess is that it would be most economical to keep the existing pads & discs and simply fit shims. The car still brakes very well with the "70%" contact, so I'm reticent to change pads.

However, I've also read that discs should be changed once lips hit 1.6mm. I still think we're several thousand miles away from that, but they will need to be changed at some point. He said that doing two seperate ramps obviously adds labour charges (which seems logical enough), and recommended that I change everything now in one go (surprise surprise). He's quoted me £809 for new ADL pads & discs.

My preference simply be to have shims fitted and see how that goes.

What are your thoughts?

Use a different garage. :thumbs:

Im no Z33 brake expert, Im sure one will be along shortly, but sounds like he's feeding you a load of shyte. I certainly wouldnt go near any company that starts messing with standard brakes to make them stop squeaking, maybe they could correctly diagnose the cause in the first place? :doh:

10 man points added for admitting that, but 20 man points removed for admitting that ;) ;) ;)

Take it to another garage to do in that case, I would. But definitely just shims for now, I'd leave the discs & pads as they are.

10 man points added for admitting that, but 20 man points removed for admitting that ;) ;) ;)

Take it to another garage to do in that case, I would. But definitely just shims for now, I'd leave the discs & pads as they are.

Its more to do with the fact that I live in an apartment block, with no tools and no space on the road outside to work on the car. Not really practical...

OK so I've done a bit more research. Apparently Pagid's are popular on the track and have effective velocity-killing ability, and I can certainly vouch for that. They stop the zed. :evil:

But they're also known for squealing badly. Apprently this is less of an issue on the track for obvious reasons. Apparently pagid's are common on porsche (probs why the porsche garage used them - had them lying around maybe). Anyway, I'm going to leave the current set of discs on the car and change the pads for standard brembos (with shims from OEM nissan pads). Might as well have fresh pads on the car that haven't been chamfered down. They're not going to break the bank.

My bro has offered to change them for me on sunday, in exchange for a milder beating after getting fired last week. Hopefully they'll be a damn sight quieter than the bat-killing pagids.

Massive thanks to Alex for his advice and competitively priced gear :thumbs:

DT

OK so I've done a bit more research. Apparently Pagid's are popular on the track and have effective velocity-killing ability, and I can certainly vouch for that. They stop the zed. :evil:

But they're also known for squealing badly. Apprently this is less of an issue on the track for obvious reasons. Apparently pagid's are common on porsche (probs why the porsche garage used them - had them lying around maybe). Anyway, I'm going to leave the current set of discs on the car and change the pads for standard brembos (with shims from OEM nissan pads). Might as well have fresh pads on the car that haven't been chamfered down. They're not going to break the bank.

My bro has offered to change them for me on sunday, in exchange for a milder beating after getting fired last week. Hopefully they'll be a damn sight quieter than the bat-killing pagids.

Massive thanks to Alex for his advice and competitively priced gear :thumbs:

DT

Dont porsches usually use texstar? Yes you do get good pagid pads but most pagids are bought on ebay or motorfactors as they are cheap. They are also just the same if not slightly worse then some oem pads. You would know if you had better pagids on there as you would pay for them :lol: