Front Left Crunch/Squeak over speed bumps

notfub

The work carpark has loads of speed bumps and I noticed this morning that my zed makes a squeak/creak/crunch type noise when going over them. I drive over them very carefully and at a slow speed so I'm not driving without care. This has been happening for a few weeks now but not on all days. I think that the colder it is, the worse it is. My car has now done 59k & recently passed it's MOT with flying colours.

The noise seems to come from the front left of the car and my initial thought is that it's the front droplink on that side (looks ok though). The car handles and tracks well so I'm open to suggestions :surrender:

Thanks for any tips :thumbs:

sounds like front banana arm bush to me. You can replace them rather than the whole arm. :pmzmanalex:

you will need a bush press tool to replace the bush

Thanks Mike,

I've changed the bushes on my old honda crx so know it can be a pain. I'll take a damn good look at it over the weekend and prepare for the worst :scare::)

I had this - it was the front ARB droplinks in the end. Both mine "looked" fine and no play or noise from me swinging on them.

You can inspect your banana bar bushes for cracks / separation with the car in the air to rule them out.

OE Banana bushes not officially sold separately in the UK - you have to buy the whole arm. Circle Infiniti in Texas will send you the bush much cheaper than you can get them anywhere else. They are the same part for a G35.

Likewise I bought my (non genuine) droplinks from rockauto.com in the states much cheaper than any here.

I had this - it was the front ARB droplinks in the end. Both mine "looked" fine and no play or noise from me swinging on them.

You can inspect your banana bar bushes for cracks / separation with the car in the air to rule them out.

OE Banana bushes not officially sold separately in the UK - you have to buy the whole arm. Circle Infiniti in Texas will send you the bush much cheaper than you can get them anywhere else. They are the same part for a G35.

Likewise I bought my (non genuine) droplinks from rockauto.com in the states much cheaper than any here.

ZMANALEX sells the banana arm bushes separately. For me I'd rather buy from Alex knowing that theirs someone at the end of a phone and in this country if there are any problems. Same goes for the doplinks too. Horsham Dev also sell the parts

ZMANALEX sells the banana arm bushes separately. For me I'd rather buy from Alex knowing that theirs someone at the end of a phone and in this country if there are any problems. Same goes for the doplinks too. Horsham Dev also sell the parts

+1

Alex should have bushes and droplinks and will be with you withing 1-2 days usualy next day. if they're " in stock and ready to go" :D

I can see this is also going to cost me a fortune! Even if it turns out to be just the bushes which aren't TOO expensive, I'd have to either buy the tool or pay someone to do it. This coupled with getting the lights sorted for MoT is going to see me pounding the credit card again this month :thumbdown:

The arm is easy as pie to remove, only a few bolts, after that just get someone to punch the old bush out and the new in, or if your like me, use a vice :p

Droplink is also easy, make sure you have a angle grinder incase the bolt is siezed though.

Guides in the guide section mate :)

Also very hand if you have a lifter or pit, doing it on your back could be difficult.

• 1 month later...

Did you guys find out what was causing the creak? I fitted new bushes on my upper wishbone and lower control arm which felt great on the car until this creaking sound from the wheel arch developed. Sounds a bit like metal being getting bent and a little worrying.

Did you guys find out what was causing the creak? I fitted new bushes on my upper wishbone and lower control arm which felt great on the car until this creaking sound from the wheel arch developed. Sounds a bit like metal being getting bent and a little worrying.

PM received and replied to Steve :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Update.

Jez (at Horsham Developments) had a quick look at my bushes and droplinks while my car was there. Front droplinks were knocking so needed replacing and bushes looked ok. Jez didn't have them in stock but sent them to me a few days later :thumbs:. Depending what I've got on my plate this weekend I'll fit them and update this thread.