Gas Struts

taffyjason

This winter found my boot lid won't stay open, but when its warm the struts are able to support it.

I tried aftermarket struts apparently for my model, but they had different fittings.

Refitted my original struts and now the boot wont shut properly, the leading edge (with the roof) sits slightly proud and the boots 'pops' open when released, as if its under force when shut.

Buggered struts does anyone think? and any ideas on costings for new OEM or aftermarket struts?

Cheers all

Do you have a spiler fitted?

There is a counterweight underneath the plastic trim of the boot to help it close.

When you fit a spoiler, sometimes this extra weight is too much.

As for the current problem you are having....have you fitted them correctly?

well me and the local garage worked on the struts, they seem to have been refitted to original position, as there's the fixed bolts and pintle on the boot lid, now i can't see why something is forcing the front edge up, guess i'll have to take them off again and see if it bulges up without the struts...!

costing me a fortune this month, new clutch, road tax, new head unit ( my fault ) amd just found the fuel neck pipe is bent, which explains the cut off nuisance at the fuel pump! sheesh

This winter found my boot lid won't stay open, but when its warm the struts are able to support it.

I tried aftermarket struts apparently for my model, but they had different fittings.

Refitted my original struts and now the boot wont shut properly, the leading edge (with the roof) sits slightly proud and the boots 'pops' open when released, as if its under force when shut.

Buggered struts does anyone think? and any ideas on costings for new OEM or aftermarket struts?

Cheers all

You can try the pennies trick in the springs but it is a short time fix. The struts are not a big price. I had to replace mine and they work fine even when it is nippy. If you have a spoiler then tell them and they will boost :thumbs:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/nl1749-n ... boot-strut

Hope this helps.

Mike ;)

Hmmm, that's suspiciously cheap compared to the OEM struts. Anyone had these for a few years? Do they pass the test of time (unlike official nissan ones!).

Also, am I right in thinking you need to snap the ball joint off the old struts in the process? Doesn't look like these come with replacements...

Those are the guys i got my aftermarket struts from, the fittings are different from OEM so couldnt attach them.

I emailed them in case the later 350z had different fittings.

The one they sent me had a bolt-to-bodywork fitting, whereas the OEM has a bracket which two bolts attach to the bodywork. There was noway to modify the aftermarket strut without cutting up, fabricating etc

I have just replaced mine with the replacement ones from SGS.

They came with all the fittings including new brackets just needed to remove the old struts which are attached to the existing fittings.

Undo all the bolts to completely remove.

I could not see any way to remove the old brackets from the struts without cutting but there was no need due to all the brackets being included in the new kit.

Now I have a boot that stays up and no headache but I was surprised at how heavy the weight in the boot lid is.