First Month, First Broken Nissan Bit! :-/

luka761

:blink:

So I've had the 350 for a month now and have loved every second of it however...............on a drive to Wales last weekend I noticed the exhaust developing a very deep (and nice) note. Oh dear. Had the car lifted this morning and the bloody flange on the side of the back box has completely severed itself from the rest of it. Could weld it back on but that's a temporary fix and I don't like temporary fixes, long and short of it I need a new back box. I suppose I could get the whole thing replaced but I'm saving up for new wheels so just a back box it is.

Money being tight can anyone recommend a good quality back box with plenty of grunt that's cheapish? I know these are very individual things so if it helps I'd like something just a tiny bit quieter then the K1 but without the giant cans sticking out the back. Many thanks in advance for the guru like knowledge that is going to overwhelm this post!

This is a very common thing to happen on Zeds.

You can get a Scorpion for circa £350 which is a full cat-back system I think.

You can also get Cobra exhausts for pretty cheap.

Tarmac and CS are the 2 traders here to ask :thumbs:

This is a very common thing to happen on Zeds.

You can get a Scorpion for circa £350 which is a full cat-back system I think.

You can also get Cobra exhausts for pretty cheap.

Tarmac and CS are the 2 traders here to ask :thumbs:

Ok, they say there is no such thing as a stupid question but I get the feeling I'm about to break that rule.....what's a full cat-back system? Is it the back box, mid pipe and y-pipe all together like a complete system or something else? I think only my back box needs replacing so do I get any benefit out of spending the extra cash? I'm mostly interested in how the car sounds rather then a performance increase. That's mostly because I'm a very shallow person. :shrug:

No worries there, a exhaust wont give you any extra power on its own, for that you need filter, plenum spacer, decats and an uprev. the exhaust is purely for noise :teeth:

the scorpion and cobra systems are y pipe back, not cat back... they just replace the centre pipe and the back box. A full cat back system replaces the y pipe as well, but that typically another £200-300 more.

I would worry that if the flange has gone to the backbox, do you also need a new y pipe? Anyways, if its a system thats just quieter than a K1 you're after, id go for a non resonated Cobra exhaust - i think Tarmac is your man for these :thumbs:

No worries there, a exhaust wont give you any extra power on its own, for that you need filter, plenum spacer, decats and an uprev. the exhaust is purely for noise :teeth:

the scorpion and cobra systems are y pipe back, not cat back... they just replace the centre pipe and the back box. A full cat back system replaces the y pipe as well, but that typically another £200-300 more.

I would worry that if the flange has gone to the backbox, do you also need a new y pipe? Anyways, if its a system thats just quieter than a K1 you're after, id go for a non resonated Cobra exhaust - i think Tarmac is your man for these :thumbs:

That Cobra system sounds lovely.......no the y-pipe seems fine and so is the mid-pipe, if I get the back box do I have to replace the mid pipe as well?? Seems a shame since the current looks fine. I think non-resonated is the way forward though!

You know what I'm not even looking at the link .....I'm guessing Ebay shitty unbranded stainless exhaust for about 250 nicker.

Discussed to death .......****

Harsh but very true, actually it was £187 I looked :wink:

Dave likes to be precise :p

Get a Scorp or a Cobra (if yout want a bit more noise) and you'll never look back.

Didn't really like the sound of the Scorp, I don't know whether it was the videos poor sound quality but its a little bit metallic and raspy, sort of cheap sounding and not to my taste. I did however splash out on a new resonated Cobra exhaust which will hopefully give me much happy motoring. In the mean time ill sit in my room and make brum brum noises.

Are you planning on fitting it yourself?

No way, not unless I want it to fall off half way round the M25. I'm in the army so a friendly military mechanic is sorting it out for me. I don't know how to upload vids of it but ill give it a shot when its all done. I want to buy some wheels as well but this has broken the bank this month so I have to console myself by browsing for replacement gear knobs (ooh er mrs etc). Cheers for sorting me out Tarmac now hurry up and get it to me, gimme gimme gimme!

Thanks for the order Luka :thumbs:

Ok so the resonated Cobra exhaust arrived exactly on the day Tarmac said it would, was installed in no time without any problems and now sounds incredible. I'm usually cautious about heaping praise on people for doing exactly what I paid them to do but in this case I'm a very happy customer and can recommend both the product and the supplier. Now about that carbon gear knob....... ;)

I have a Japspeed k2 back box and centre pipe fitted, i know they havent got a good reputation on here and i didnt know that before i fitted them, but in all fairness it sounds nice and seems good quality...only time will tell

Just received a set of Berk HFC's and Stillen Y-pipe from Tarmac, will let you know what the lot sounds like when fitted, i think i must be the first on here with this overall configuration?