D & T to be removed from the NC

rtbiscuit

This may seem an odd place to mention such a topic, but i thought it might interest people, one of the big drives at the moment is to increase the UK's engineering and practical skills workforce. but at the same time Design and Technology is being threatened with removal from the National curriculum down to the basic curriculum. This would mean that the subject would no longer be compulsory which could lead to schools dropping it as its expensive to run.

This is the general view of why it shouldn't be removed

http://www.data.org.uk/generaldocs/dt_response_expert_panel.pdf

and if you would like to support the protection of the subject or voice your opinion

http://www.believeindandt.org.uk/

also writing to your local MP would be beneficial as well.

some may not see this as important but anyone who comes from an engineering backgroud should hopefully see the potential damage this could cause.

feel free to discuss this as well, as i;d be interested in peoples opinions

its a shame really,

i knew that i didnt have "natural" academic talent. ie maths, english and languages ect. but the best lesson was always DT.

it gave me the confidence to know i could build stuff and get things working and fixed. all of the "clever kids" would actually come to me for help. i always got an A, i loved that class. and i knew that i would go into a job that involved using my hands and getting dirty!!

its had many names under different governments

originally it was Wood work, metal work etc

then CDT (craft Design Technology)

Design & Technology

my subject is reffered to as Resistant materials

but D&T is the broad spectrum covering RM, Graphics, Electronics, Systems and control, Food, Catering, Textiles etc

It'd be a great loss.

D&T is a subject that is more a 'career' chooser than any other.

English, Oooooh I'll study English Literature for 4 years. Then I look forward to working at McDonalds.

D&T, I'll be a graphic designer / Engineer / Joiner / Builder etc. Now I have a career.

I do sometimes wonder what people think.

It was called CDT in my time at school, although as I was at the 4th worst school in the country (7 of us in my year out of 125 got 5 Cs or above at GCSE :scare: ) we couldn't afford the gear so we had to walk to a neighbouring school and use their stuff. I remember designing an ultra slim walkman which stored music 'magically' on the walkman where the buttons were flush against the outer case of the walkman so you only had to touch them for them to work and it had a digital display on the front, I was 14 at the time so 1989, well before Mr Jobs even thought up an iPod :lol: . I got an E because 'it was just totally unrealistic and impractical for a practical class' ... :bang: We could design things in design class, but they had to be things that were already designed.

Anyway I digress, yes I loved it as a class, I really liked the design and drawing element of it and would be a travesty if it were removed.