IT Techy Help Required Please.. urgent

Neilp

Hi Guys,

My missus is teaching her class at school about the war and requires a video which is on a website. The website is blocked on the school network due to it having violence about the war on it etc.

The video is here http://www.annefrank.org/en/Subsites/Home/

Is anybody able to download/rip the video from the website for me and email me it possibly?

Tried doing the ctrl + u then ctrl +f trick to find the swf file but cant find a link which i can save.

Cheers

Neil + Nicole :thumbs:

Take it the school blocks proxys ?

could try running it through cheesecamera.com but putt HTTPS at the start rather than HTTP , we had a problem blocking the secure traffic so that may work for her too ??

I was in Anne Franks House last week :lol: , seen the Diary and walked through the Secret Annex.

lol dont think she wants to break the rules etc lol, as long as I can "grab it" then she can embed it into her powerpoint :thumbs:

could try running it through cheesecamera.com but putt HTTPS at the start rather than HTTP , we had a problem blocking the secure traffic so that may work for her too ??

I was in Anne Franks House last week :lol: , seen the Diary and walked through the Secret Annex.

lol dont think she wants to break the rules etc lol, as long as I can "grab it" then she can embed it into her powerpoint :thumbs:

Sure theres a feature in VLC media player to grab video streams...

Worth a shot

Sure theres a feature in VLC media player to grab video streams...

Worth a shot

tried a few things but the video seems to be imbedded somwhere else and linked to it. When you go through the webpage content theres no link which ends in .swf

If you stick this in your browser

http://www.annefrank.org/ImageVault/Ima ... ndler.aspx

it should give you the option to download.

its in FLV format which you can convert to your requirements. Not sure if you can put that straight into Powerpoint but if you need it converting to a format and struggling let me know I might be able to help!

Kev

I have a link for some software that hsould do it but will have to send you that when i get home

You could also try getting the Camtasia studio

http://download.cnet.com/Camtasia-Studi ... 65109.html

and just play the video full screen and record it like that, might work. just make sure you tell it to capture the audio too

Good luck

If you stick this in your browser

http://www.annefrank.org/ImageVault/Ima ... ndler.aspx

it should give you the option to download.

its in FLV format which you can convert to your requirements. Not sure if you can put that straight into Powerpoint but if you need it converting to a format and struggling let me know I might be able to help!

Kev

Use that link ^

Accidentally downloaded it, pretty interesting little video though.

Do you still need this?

I have got this downloaded and converted in a mpg format, if you still need it pm me :)

:thumbs: let me know if you need me to download it, would keep it in flash format though and just use a flashplayer. What did you use to get it down?

Usual Education IT dept over censorship :thumbdown: It is also probably down to their basic capacity to stream video. It has just taken me six months of red tape and 'business cases' to get FB access for youth workers :wacko:

Tell Nic all she should have to do is log a call with IT support - most authorities simply require an email from your line manager saying 'please give so & so access to this address

Usual Education IT dept over censorship :thumbdown: It is also probably down to their basic capacity to stream video. It has just taken me six months of red tape and 'business cases' to get FB access for youth workers :wacko:

Tell Nic all she should have to do is log a call with IT support - most authorities simply require an email from your line manager saying 'please give so & so access to this address

Do you still need this?

I have got this downloaded and converted in a mpg format, if you still need it pm me :)

:thumbs: let me know if you need me to download it, would keep it in flash format though and just use a flashplayer. What did you use to get it down?

I just used the direct link someone gave then used ffmpeg (in ubuntu). I have pm'ed neil a direct link to one of my web servers which has now got the file on it.

Do you still need this?

I just used the direct link someone gave then used ffmpeg (in ubuntu). I have pm'ed neil a direct link to one of my web servers which has now got the file on it.

I used 'Activity' in the 'Window' drop down menu of Safari on my Mac. Easy as that. :)

Do you still need this?

I used 'Activity' in the 'Window' drop down menu of Safari on my Mac. Easy as that. :)

And that allows you to nab the video and change the format?! Dam you Macs! B)

I swear mate. I started on iPhone, then iPad then macbook pro. I was hesitant to switch my laptop but now I would never go back. I have found a programme for every single need so far for free, it hooks up to any hardware effortlessly with no compatibility issues. It is computing heaven. :teeth: Since sold the iPad as its a glorified iPhone which i had no use for since getting the macbook pro

I swear mate. I started on iPhone, then iPad then macbook pro. I was hesitant to switch my laptop but now I would never go back. I have found a programme for every single need so far for free, it hooks up to any hardware effortlessly with no compatibility issues. It is computing heaven. :teeth: Since sold the iPad as its a glorified iPhone which i had no use for since getting the macbook pro

I must admit I am started to get tempted (I was very anti Mac), I just find it all very expensive and I am not used to paying for any of my software on Ubuntu. Main reason at home I use it is to keep my eye in as thats what all the servers use at work, also I dual boot Win7 for gaming.

That web server is one of my own so it was really easy for me as well (not quite a point and click job tho as the server doesnt have a GUI), I just did a wget straight to it then did everything on there as I wanted the processing power for the convert then dropped the file into a folder which is open to the web, took less than 1min.

I am really starting to like the Mac hardware and I have been looking at it, but my problem is I like to fiddle and I would end up jail breaking everything which kinda defeats the point!

Thing is I work in IT so I love typing in stuff at the command line it makes me feel big and clever :lol: I do now appreciate that Mac's bring computers to the masses like never before. In the past if you converted videos you wore socks and sandles and had a beard ;)

Wow outstanding chaps, 1st class help as usual.

One last thing, is there anyway to download the interactive 3d walk around stuff thats on the website also ?

I cant express how much of a help this was to her and she is very appreciative she's buying us all drinks at the next meet she's at :lol: she doesnt know that yet tho lol :lol:

One last thing, is there anyway to download the interactive 3d walk around stuff thats on the website also ?

I cant express how much of a help this was to her and she is very appreciative she's buying us all drinks at the next meet she's at :lol: she doesnt know that yet tho lol :lol:

Do you want me to get the website unlocked at North Lanarkshire mate? I am ICT Co-ordinator for our school so can add it to the exceptions request board. When is she delivering it?

Do you want me to get the website unlocked at North Lanarkshire mate? I am ICT Co-ordinator for our school so can add it to the exceptions request board. When is she delivering it?

Thursday mate

That would be another one I owe you.. i'll buy lots of drink at combe

Thursday mate

That would be another one I owe you.. i'll buy lots of drink at combe

No worries - it should get accepted at some point tomorrow :thumbs: