JDM tyres

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi Folks

After long deliberation and much "tyres" section reading have ordered Toyo T1-S tyres.

£466 inc vat and delivery. 225/50/17 and 235/50/17.

Will run them in and let you know how i get on! Hope they are not "ditchfinders"!!

JohnUKVetteNut ( 4 weeks and 1500 miles)

PS had a close look at my RE040 stones and they are cracking up along sidewall and around edge of treads on the two outer treads on all tyres? I have only seen this on very old tyres before. is it something stones are known for?

not a big toyo fan myself, have run them on a couple of cars don't rate them to be honest and that was the T1R's

just be aware toyo's tend to be greasy as hell when first put on and require very gently run in for the first 100 miles and a steady run in up to 500 miles.

side walls can feel very soft with a lot of lateral movement, when i first fitted them i actually pulled over because i thought i was running on jelly. but if you up the PSi a bit this does help to compensate.

once bedded in they aren't bad but would have taken the conti's or the GSD3's over the toyos any day.

Hi Folks

After long deliberation and much "tyres" section reading have ordered Toyo T1-S tyres.

£466 inc vat and delivery. 225/50/17 and 235/50/17.

Will run them in and let you know how i get on! Hope they are not "ditchfinders"!!

JohnUKVetteNut ( 4 weeks and 1500 miles)

PS had a close look at my RE040 stones and they are cracking up along sidewall and around edge of treads on the two outer treads on all tyres? I have only seen this on very old tyres before. is it something stones are known for?

My mate had exactly the same problem on his Ferrari 355 with 050's. bridgestone will find any excuse not to refund. think they were about 8 months old.

I just sold a complete set of tyres plus an extra front. the 3 fronts were new as in less than 100 miles each and the rears had done 800 miles. All 5 were 050 stones and i put them up on Ebay for £100 each or if a member of the forum £400. Some guy drove up from South Wales and took the lot. Personally I would only buy new tyres but not everyone has the money. there are some good deals to be had if you look.

thenoname

Hi Folks

Well we see how they go! A softer tyre and higher wear rate I can live with. As you say I can always up the psi to compensate. I will go easy first 100 miles and gently up the speeds to 500miles use. The way i am using zed at this time it will only take a week or 2( subject to weather)

As for the Conti's they are not recommended for JDM rear size (235/50/17 )as they were specially made for Porsche( lighter rear end on car) and are "soft" tyre (N?) compound( or load rate) i think and not suitable for the 350 as its way too heavy,,,thats what the tech people at conti told me 3 days ago! They said that if i chose to use them they strongly recommended I contact my insurer first to get approval or it may invalidate any claim i made.

GSD 3's are an old tyre ( I beleive they dont make them anymore?) so not sure how old a set may have been?

Anyway thanks all for input..decision made now so will have to live with it!!

JohnUKVetteNut

Reputable tyre companies dont sell tyres that are over 3 years old,they will fit them if YOU supply them,also they may refuse to fit tyres that are over 10 years old,something to look out for if buying used/new old tyres.Tyres have a date code on sidewall consisting of 4 numbers,eg 0212,which reads as week 2,year 2012.

he's not bought 2nd hand tyres :doh:

he's bought new tyres, they just happen to be a brand/make that is no longer in production which means its the last of the stock being sold off.

if he's bought them from a company like camskills or another online tyre place he should be fine.

Was pointing out that even new old stock can be regarded as an old tyre just because of its age,even tho it may never have seen tarmac, :pmtarmac: ,NO not that one!

Agreed,

just check the date stamp, when they arrive, anything older than 3 years send them back

928,924,Panamera, Cayenne & I am sure there is another one, but the 911 was/is notorious for back sway.

:yawn:

Do they use N rated tyres? N rated tyres mean that the sidewalls are stiffer because of the engine weight and so they deform less in a corner for better handling, supposedly.

It's something I have never really entertained until last week when i was searching for some new tyres for a Lexus 600 Hybrid.

Due to the weight of the car plus the 438 BHP the tyres I believe have reinforced sidewalls. Or thats what Lexus recon.

As I wasn't paying l did not argue.

The best people to ask are usually the tyre fitters. They have most options and specs on their PC.

We could go on forever but at the end of the day each person has there own preferance.

I on the other hand have not found a tyre that I like.

It's something I have never really entertained until last week when i was searching for some new tyres for a Lexus 600 Hybrid.

Due to the weight of the car plus the 438 BHP the tyres I believe have reinforced sidewalls. Or thats what Lexus recon.

As I wasn't paying l did not argue.

The best people to ask are usually the tyre fitters. They have most options and specs on their PC.

We could go on forever but at the end of the day each person has there own preferance.

I on the other hand have not found a tyre that I like.

tyre fitter are *usually* the worst people to ask as they dont really know anything. A guy once said why you getting those vredisteins fitted you would be better with some fullruns or fulda's :scare: . They dont really know some are decent though and know their stuff. most just want to poo poo your tyres and want to sell your their own as fitting 4 tyres for £20 is alot of work considoring for not much money.

It all depends where you go. A group of us use RSR tyres and Wheels in Coulsdon and give them so much buisness we can get them at a bargan price.

Plus I found them very knowledgeble and extreamly obliging.

For example Lexus wanted £1700 for the LS 600 tyres. RSR charged £1000 plus a free geometary test.

On my Zed the 050A 18/35/275's Stones at the back were £200 plus vat each and free fitting and balancing

And the fronts 050A 18/35/245's were £170 plus Vat etc.

You need to do your home work and be prepared to play on words and have bags of confidence.

Know exactly what you want and what ever price they 1st give you, tell them that you have already been quoted XYZ less

than that down the road. And be prepared to walk if the need arises.

Use this recession to your advantage whist it is here.

Another tip is to have a buisness card saying you are in the trade.

And always send your friends and family down there and make sure you do the negociating.

I am not telling you anything different to what the majority of members on here will say.

I bet they all have there own ways of getting the best tyre for the cheapest price.

But don't go for the 050A's stones if you are on a budget. They are l believe one of the most expensive tyres out there, and noisy to boot.

If I were buying 4 x new ones I would go for a softer tyre.

Give Scott at Abbey a ring and he will email over what he considers the best 2 names in tyres for your Z.

thenoname

:teeth:

Hi Folks

Update on JDM tyres...have cancelled order for toyo tyres ( mytyres were very obliging in this matter) and have contacted Abbeymotorsport( as suggested in tis forum) and talked with them as JDM tyres are not easy to get in both the sizes. Abbey are looking into it for me but so far they suggest Avon ZZ3, Toyo T1-R but looking at other options for me and will get back weds or thursday. Also suggested that maybe a used set of 18"tyres and wheels may be the way to go? have done club "for sale" look see and ebay search but nothing at present!

Will post news as and when I move forward!1

JohnUKVetteNut