JDM tyres

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi Folks

update on JDM tyres

Mark at Abbeymotorsport rsearched the tyres and in the end suggested I change to 235/45/17 and 245/45/17 ( lower aspect ratio) and a greater tyre choice!

Just contacted my insurer to run this by them and as a non standard tyre size is to be fitted they would refuse to insure me!! RAC insurance fully comp. cover

So plan b then...I am trying to pick up a set of 18" alloys ( option on my model car so inurance is happy) or if too expensive to buy wheels and tyres then back to :-

Toyo T1-R

Avon ZZ3

or another option from a USA car club " Maxxis MAZ4S victra" ?? anyone know anything about them?

Cheers

John UKVetteNut

ha ha, it's just that I ran out of ideas.

Those 18" Rays on Ebay with a start price of £440.

I guarantee they will not sell at that price due to fact that no one has any money this time of year.

I very recently bought a set off Abbey as back ups for £250 so I would try your luck and be a bit cheeky

and message the guy.

Tell him that your are really interested it the wheels but your funds just wont stretch that far and make an offer

of what you could afford.

It really depends on the tyres but I think he has Bridgestone on the front and Budget on the back.

So you would have to get the rears changed.

As of 11:15am this morning they are still there.

They are worth £80 to me, not forgetting they could need refurbishing.

Abbey have a guy they use and is as good as anyone l have ever used.

Thenoname

:drive1

Thanks for that...

just to say i contacted insurers again and they have no probs with new "non-OEM" make of tyres its just they would not accept a non "OEM" ratio as Abbey suggested!

May have a cheeky low price stab at Ebay 18" rays !! At least they are OEM wheels ( optional) in build spec.

JohnUKVettEnut

Yes , unfortunately i have only been with them a short while and to change insurers now would cost me dear!!

Especially as my quote from them was £385 fully comp,business use as well and most other companies were in the £600 to £750 price to insure a JDM ( uk spec cars were much cheaper to insure)

Just to raise your anger a little more ( not for my enjoyment) I also asked about 18" wheels that were an option from new..they asked to send them the build sheet/spec sheet showing them as an option and they would look at "approving" the fitment of these.

I owned 2 Corvettes over 18 years and never had any grief from them over wheels/tyres/modifications at all. all i had to do was tell them what was fitted and amended their records to suit..no fee's either!

JohnUKVetteNut

PS love my Zed now 1400 miles in just over 5 weeks, and found out ( with dry roads now) the fun of Sport mode in tiptronic with TCS off..what an adrenaline rush!! may not be as fast as my Vettes but way more FUN.

Hi Folks

BHP is 206KW or 280 PS @6200rpm..this is what original spec sheet says.

I think its 280 BHP (around that).

Yes problems seem to abound here with tyres..but I think its mainly that JDM tyres are higher ratios (50) than UK spec cars and so there is not so much experience posted on forum related to these, and of course availability of JDM size is limited..452's, sessanta's,MPSS,FI assy,and lots of others are just not made in my size!!

The only tyres I have had personal use of ( in my previous Corvette 300hp and 170MPH) are Avon ZZ3 and GSD3's and Maxxis MAV1's. Tha Avons and gsd3's were noisy and the Maxxis were good all round but not available in this country, so at present am looking to see if I can get some imported??

I do tend to investigate things maybe too thoroughly!! And the Zed tyres are way more expensive to buy than my Corvette, even though the Corvette tyres were much wider! But that car is history now and have a pocket rocket to learn about!!

JohnUKVetteNut

Thanks for that...

just to say i contacted insurers again and they have no probs with new "non-OEM" make of tyres its just they would not accept a non "OEM" ratio as Abbey suggested!

May have a cheeky low price stab at Ebay 18" rays !! At least they are OEM wheels ( optional) in build spec.

JohnUKVettEnut

Well I'm stuffed then.

I went from OEM to 275/35/18 Rear

245/35/18 front

And 20mm spacers all round.

She does sit nice though:)

Hi Folks

Just to say I checked ( as advised here to get age of tyres) the date code on my original bridgestones and they are entitled to be cracked....the date code is 2605. So i presume week 26 in 2005?. my car was made in July 2005..so original tyres?? amazing!!

mileage works out at 29k kms before import and about 7k miles after import! so total is 27k miles approx!! Still got 4mm tread! ( possibly in Japan it had after market wheels and the originals were put back on for export?)

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi Folks

as promised , now I have new 225/50/17 and 235/50/17 Avon ZZ3fitted.

Initial reaction is quieter than bridgestones and softer feel, less road noies.

Time will tell and i will update as they loose their oil and bed in as i play with them!! Yes i will be cautious ( i do listen to forum advice!!)

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi Folks

as promised , now I have new 225/50/17 and 235/50/17 Avon ZZ3fitted.

Initial reaction is quieter than bridgestones and softer feel, less road noies.

Time will tell and i will update as they loose their oil and bed in as i play with them!! Yes i will be cautious ( i do listen to forum advice!!)

JohnUKVetteNut

Is oil and bed techno talk for "Fall apart"?

:drive1