track day advice

cerealuk

I've always fancied a track day in the zed but having never done one before imba tad nervous. I contacted thruxton and they said that in April they have a session that is open to the general public but you have to have a qualified instructor in the car with you. Their fees for this are 175 for the first hour then 100 per hour there after if I remember correctly. Apparently they usually get around 12 cars max on the track at once and its all nicely organised and safe etc which suits me. The next session is in April so I'm tempted to sign up for a couple of hours.

My question is, what effect is this likely to have on the zed? Baring in mind ill be very slow and cautious most likely. Am I going to find myself killing a set of tyres for example? Also how did you guys find your first track days, any advice?

Korean man say to those prices: HO LEE PHUK :blink:

Find yourself a day with a decent TDO (personally I use Bookatrack, Johnny and the guys there are incredibly welcoming but don't take any mucking around) and go to a circuit with plenty of run-off, somewhere like Anglesey is absolute perfect and is one of the best tracks in the UK. Take it slow and steady, listen to the briefing and keep an eye on your mirrors for faster cars, and you will have nothing to worry about. You can hire an instructor if you want for £30 for 30 mins which is more than enough to teach you the lines and smooth you out.

If you're drifting a lot on an abrasive airfield you could well kill tyres quickly, but smooth driving on a proper track isn't likely to give any real noticeable tyre wear across the middle, although you will probably wear the shoulders a tad more. A stock Zed will be fine on track, just remember not to do any more than about 20 mins max out there and then take a 30 min rest before going out again.

My first time was terrifying for the first hour, then it all clicked and it was nothing short of incredible. By the end of the day I was overtaking significantly more powerful machinery, but also getting passed by some complete nails! :lol: It really isn't anything to panic about, and you shouldn't be afraid to push the car harder as that's the whole idea of trackdays, but if you are particularly bothered then track day insurance is available.

I've always fancied a track day in the zed but having never done one before imba tad nervous. I contacted thruxton and they said that in April they have a session that is open to the general public but you have to have a qualified instructor in the car with you. Their fees for this are 175

I can offer you a full day, not sessions for that at Oulton Park in Cheshire

for the first hour then 100 per hour there after if I remember correctly. Apparently they usually get around 12 cars max on the track at once and its all nicely organised and safe etc which suits me.

I am in the ATDO so days are as safe as the come. The next session is in April so I'm tempted to sign up for a couple of hours.

My question is, what effect is this likely to have on the zed?

Check oil, water air in tyres etc and you should be fine.

Baring in mind ill be very slow and cautious most likely. Am I going to find myself killing a set of tyres for example? Also how did you guys find your first track days, any advice?

You wont kill a set of tyres in April, track temp is to cool they key is just be smooth.

give me a bell if you wish and i will answer any questions . before 20.00 hrs as the little ones hopefully are in bed by then.

01954-202-588

Dave

The prices you've been given for Thruxton are very expensive compared to what you can get with other companies. I've been on one of Daves trackdays and they're very well run.

As a beginner I'd recommend an airfield day - theres usually nothing to hit and most organisers have instructors to help you out. It can be a little overwhelming the first time you go out, but after some practice it'll become more and more fun.

As far as getting the car ready - make sure the engine has the correct oil and coolant level. One of the most important things is to make sure that you have a good brake setup. I'd recommend some uprated pads and high boiling point fluid as a minimum - this will become more inportant as your confidence builds and you brake harder.

I can pretty much guarantee that once you get the trackday bug, you won't be able to stop yourself - they're really good fun.

That is INSANE money for an instructor! I've had one several times and they were ~£20 an hour. The last one I had actually won several BTTC series in the car I was driving! So were no amateurs (snetterton track).

There's no reason to worry, drive within your limits and gradually your confidence will increase during the day. Just do it :D

The car limits day I did in my exige and can thoroughly reccommend (£200 each with 3 other people, all day instruction with Andy Walsh who is current racer/ ex F1 renault test driver etc. It is fair to say he is a legend in the driver training world). Tyres will take a beating though so take the car when the tyres are towards the end of their life.