diagnostics check? glasgow area

WWTC

Hi all. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, admin please move if this the case.

Basically, i got my 56 350Z three weeks ago, and as much as i knew id be goin through fuel at quite a rate, its absolutley hammerin it! First few trips i was using standard unleaded, usually puttin in £50 and gettin around 140miles before the petrol light comes on. Ive moved to premium, and i reckon for £50 im gettin around 100 miles, does that seem normal? Surely not? I dont drive the car hard, i cant in this weather, but most of my traveling is around town. Would a diagnostics check be worthwhile? If so, does anyone recomend anywhere in glasgow?

Thanks for your time everyone

Try the infinity centre glasgow or one of the nissan performance centres - i tihk the closest might be edinburgh from memory.

Dont put regular in - it is too low an octane rating for the zed and can cause engine knocking. As for 100 miles - you should definately get more than that - even for town driving.

As long as you don't have a heavy foot - if most of your driving is round town you'll be averaging max 20mpg - most folks only get around 18mpg around town - your combined town and country should be around 25mpg.

£50 at the moment will give you about half a tank yeah?

If you were mainly motorway driving you'd expect approx 200 miles out of a half tank - but you say its all round town...You'll find that you can't expect to get much more out of it than 150 miles.

Its just not a town car :shrug:

Diagnostics will be approx £50 per hour at Nissan - unless you can find a local with Consult

When was your last service? I'm not saying an oil change and new air filter will improve your mpg but can't hurt :thumbs:

As long as you don't have a heavy foot - if most of your driving is round town you'll be averaging max 20mpg - most folks only get around 18mpg around town - your combined town and country should be around 25mpg.

£50 at the moment will give you about half a tank yeah?

If you were mainly motorway driving you'd expect approx 200 miles out of a half tank - but you say its all round town...You'll find that you can't expect to get much more out of it than 150 miles.

Its just not a town car :shrug:

Diagnostics will be approx £50 per hour at Nissan - unless you can find a local with Consult

When was your last service? I'm not saying an oil change and new air filter will improve your mpg but can't hurt :thumbs:

hi mate,

The car was serviced in december, just before i bought it, and i had an AA check done o. The car aswell, as i was buyin in london but i live in glasgow. Everything seemed fine. I drove london>glasgow for £100, seems reasonable, and my mpg is averagin 15.8 on the readout. £50 gets me just under half a tabk, and ive checked tyre pressure etc. Maybe its nothin, it just seems so so thirsty, even compared to the 300ZX.

Sounds to me like you've just answered your own question then afraid - nowt wrong with the car - its just that fuel is expensive and its not really practical as a town car :)

But like the guys said - stick to super do not use 95 - and as Mr T said do a wee fuel consumption test over three half tanks and see what happens - Tesco momentum is pretty reasonable at the moment :thumbs:

My last tank before she went away for the winter averaged 9mpg :lol:

This is something people should investigate before buying a car like this.

Remember when you buy super the fuel is about 8p a litre more expensive so younger less for your money.

Try doing an ecu reset with "the pedal dance" found of you search top right. May help iron out a few problems.

Sounds to me like you've just answered your own question then afraid - nowt wrong with the car - its just that fuel is expensive and its not really practical as a town car :)

But like the guys said - stick to super do not use 95 - and as Mr T said do a wee fuel consumption test over three half tanks and see what happens - Tesco momentum is pretty reasonable at the moment :thumbs:

Hi again mate, its probably is a case of just being the runnin costs of the car, it just seems so expensive. Ive switched to momentum, thats whats in it just now.

Remember when you buy super the fuel is about 8p a litre more expensive so younger less for your money.

Try doing an ecu reset with "the pedal dance" found of you search top right. May help iron out a few problems.

Did the "pedal dance" mate, took me about 10 attempts right enough :)

I did investigate the fuel costs, its just seems that im going through alot more than i should. 97 miles for £50 worth of momentum @ £136.9 per litre, whats that, around 12 mpg, and im not driving it hard at all, the roads are too greasy so the wheels jus spin. I have noticed a very slight knockin noise comin from the engine bay, i thought i could "feel" it at the accelerator on idle, or low revs. Stuck my head under the bonnet, and you can hear a very slight knock now and again, but there doesnt seem to be any rythm to it if you know what i mean, so i dont think its chain rubbing or anything. I thought about taking it over to infiniti to get there tech guys to have a look. It might well be nothing, dont think im losing power or anything. Maybe im just lookin into it too much, theres no warning lights or anything on. Just worried my new pride and joy is ill

I did investigate the fuel costs, its just seems that im going through alot more than i should. 97 miles for £50 worth of momentum @ £136.9 per litre, whats that, around 12 mpg, and im not driving it hard at all, the roads are too greasy so the wheels jus spin. I have noticed a very slight knockin noise comin from the engine bay, i thought i could "feel" it at the accelerator on idle, or low revs. Stuck my head under the bonnet, and you can hear a very slight knock now and again, but there doesnt seem to be any rythm to it if you know what i mean, so i dont think its chain rubbing or anything. I thought about taking it over to infiniti to get there tech guys to have a look. It might well be nothing, dont think im losing power or anything. Maybe im just lookin into it too much, theres no warning lights or anything on. Just worried my new pride and joy is ill

As i said, the knocking sound is likely to be because of the 95 fuel you have been using.Should stop when you flush it with a couple of tanks of 99 from tesco.

Hi mate, i always used momentum and i found it to be really good.

I would recommend mark at the garage in motherwell, he is really good, really knows his stuff and will spend all day answering all you questions! He is also very reasonable.

By the way, his garage is actually called " the garage" :)

As i said, the knocking sound is likely to be because of the 95 fuel you have been using.Should stop when you flush it with a couple of tanks of 99 from tesco.

Thanks again for the help. Need to hit tesco soon, ****in things drinkin fuel, but god do i love it :D

I have a feelin the previous owner was also using 95 fuel, but i'll stick to momentum from now on, give it a few full tanks, and see how i get on.

Hi mate, i always used momentum and i found it to be really good.

I would recommend mark at the garage in motherwell, he is really good, really knows his stuff and will spend all day answering all you questions! He is also very reasonable.

By the way, his garage is actually called " the garage" :)

Cheers mate, i'll stick with momentum, and i'll look into the garage.

Thanks for the help

The unrhythmical noise that you are hearing may be the OEM dual mass flywheel. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Im no mechanic , mate, but could that explain, or have anything to do with, the cars slight reluctance to go into 2nd gear?

Btw if any of these things turn out to be serious, im gonna be extremely pi**ed at the AA, who check the car "from top to bottom" 3 weeks ago

The unrhythmical noise that you are hearing may be the OEM dual mass flywheel. :thumbs:

Im no mechanic , mate, but could that explain, or have anything to do with, the cars slight reluctance to go into 2nd gear?

Btw if any of these things turn out to be serious, im gonna be extremely pi**ed at the AA, who check the car "from top to bottom" 3 weeks ago

No, difficult 2nd gear selection from cold is a characteristic of the early transmissions I am afraid.

A fluid change with some DC Moly should help :thumbs:

No, difficult 2nd gear selection from cold is a characteristic of the early transmissions I am afraid.

Early transmissions? Does that include 06-56 models?

This fuel is killin me, thats the petrol light on, 84 miles out of 8 gallons :scare:

This fuel is killin me, thats the petrol light on, 84 miles out of 8 gallons :scare:

yep mate, i have 06 and mines is a pig when cold.

Thats the joys of a 3.5l

That petrol seems abit excessive unless your ripping it everywhere?

Im really not! I fail to see how anyone can, the roads are a joke just now, especially in glasgow around the new motorway, foot down = slide skid slide!!!!

Maybe my problem is more about my comute? Im 2 1/2 miles max to work, same apback obviously. I always start the car a few mins before driving to warm her up, so maybe thats using more petrol than i realise?

yep mate, i have 06 and mines is a pig when cold.

Thats the joys of a 3.5l

My MPG seem ok to you then mate? i noticed tonight when i finished training, i started the car up and there was a great wifd of fuel :wacko:

I'll be honest, i dont care if thats the cost, if i did i wouldnt have bought one, i just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with the car. The way it drives, the noise, the attention it gets, everything about it makes up for the cos.

Maybe it is just the short journey killing it? try and take it on a little run on the dual carrigeway when fully warm and see what sort of mpg you get at 70mph. I average about 25-29mpg. My journey is close to 20miles though and not much stop start. You using 99ron fuel?

Maybe it is just the short journey killing it? try and take it on a little run on the dual carrigeway when fully warm and see what sort of mpg you get at 70mph. I average about 25-29mpg. My journey is close to 20miles though and not much stop start. You using 99ron fuel?

I was thinkin that might be the case. I'll try gettin on a dual carrigeway tonight, or.maybe tomorrow.

I had filled up with .95 a couple of times, ive just got the car and never even thought tbh.

Im onto momentum now, so ita maybe jstt a case of fillin it with the wrong stuff, hopefully it'll be fine once its flushed

+1 on Mark at The Garage, originally recommended to me by Neilp and have used for all servicing and mods since, have the car going in next friday for a couple of new additions.

I wouldnt actually go to the garage, heard a few horror stories with them. Just my opinion tho :)