Living with the Nissan Juke.

rabbitstew

Well the missus needed a new car for her work as she has been doing a lot of miles, so after much deliberation and trawling around the dealers she decided upon the Nissan Juke. Looking at the various trim levels we decided on the 1.5Dci Avanta with the optional premium pack with nissan connect. Colour wise, black with the privacy windows and red interior trim.

Brand spanking new the car came in at exactly the same price as my 5 year old 350z was last year. £16,500.

The car does look nice in black, as it has black trim which goes around the wheel arches and below the bumpers, so if you have any other colour, then this black trim really stands out. With a black car it all blends in. The spec is pretty good. You get the sports alloys, climate control, cruise control, speed limiter, touch screen sat nav, bluetooth integration with up to 4 or 5 mobile phones with build in hands free and audio streaming from your phone. You get various drive modes which basically change the steering and throttle response, and even get a reversing camera.

Driving the car is easy enough. The car looks high up and feels like a big car to drive. You cant really see the end or back of the car, nor the sides. So when your driving you constantly feel like you are virtually on the left hand road markings and yet when you look you are probably 2 feet away. Parking is easy enough although not being able to see the end of the bonnet means you need to swing out a bit more before driving into spaces. I just cant get used to the reversing camera however - something not right about looking forward whilst driving backwards!

The engine is only a 1.5, but miles more powerful than our old 307 2.0 HDI shed which its replacing. The turbos kick in instantly but seem to run out of wind a lot earlier. Like most cars you get 6 gears, and cruising at motorway speeds is nice and quiet enough. The steering wheel feels great, really plush with all the cruise/speed limiter/radio & bluetooth phone dialing controls built into it. Pretty much the same wheel I think as the 370z I drove last year.

Handling wise, the car was surprisingly good. I was expecting huge amounts of body roll, but it has none, or very little. The seats dont offer the same amount of support as my zeds, but are comfortable enough and hold you as much as you`ll need.

The interior is nice and modern looking, everything is in the right place. The only gripe ive noticed is that to change the info on the trip computer you press the button near the speedo, which means its hard to do whilst your driving along. Id have prefered a button on the end of one of the stalks rather than having to put my hand through the steering wheel to press the button. Also, when you switch on cruise, the trip display changes to show you the mph you have set the cruise at, and disables being able to view the other info. Bit pointless if you ask me as you can see what speed you have set on the normal speedo - so why need two? The rest of the interior is practical enough - 2 massive cup holders near the hand brake, electric windows all around. The back & rear sides are tinted which looks good on the black car.

The boot is a let down. Can fit like 2 ruck sacks in it. But then if you remove the board at the bottom you get a pull out tool tray thing which is empty bar a towing hook and a can of air for the tyres. Remove that, and you get another foot of boot space which gives it a reasonable capacity. Really Nissan should have thought about that a bit better and redesigned the boot area as it all seems a waste of space. I guess the reason being is that on these you do not get a spare tyre as stock - you have to pay extra for one. So they have this space in the boot sitting empty incase someone buys a spare tyre.

All in all after week 1 we have done 500miles in it, averaging 53.4mpg. The first fill up was a bit of a shock mind you. We are used to putting 80quid in the zed and 80quid in the 307 at a time, so when this started clicking full at about 45quid we were supprised! Managed to squeeze 50quids worth in from empty though.

Will see how the car loosens up and fairs over the next few weeks. The missus does about 35k a year, so it will get some serious use.

i have the QQ. which in black rose is very nice. has all the toys you said and for the price i dont think there was much out there that could compete. the 1.5 i think is quite a strong engine too. it does go but needs to be pushed.

the money for the Juke is VERY good. i cant think of another car that loaded with toys and looks that nice. yes the build quality might not be like a Audi/merc/BMW but is half the price.

a very good little car.

I am thinking about getting the mrs a Juke, so please keep this thread updated mate and let us know what you think of the car after a couple more weeks :)

Jayne keeps saying no when I suggest the juke!

Was the other way around for us. I wanted her to go for the Citreon DS3 as I much prefered the way it drove. It was more sporty, same sort of spec, more room for rear passengers and easier to drive / park. But, the missus preferred the Juke. I think she liked the more higher up driving position, but now is really struggling to park it. We had to spent a few hours Sunday in the local supermarket car park letting her practice her parking and she still cant drive forward into spaces properly. Sigh!

Do you fancy trialling the Juke Stillen exhaust ?

Im going to be putting it on the website shortly but would love to trial one in the UK first

Will do it for cost price, drop me a pm if its of any interest :)

juke_mid_1_400px.jpg

Does it work on diesels? Not convinced the missus would go for it unfortunately. :(

Filled the juke up yesterday and it worked out at 54quid for 380miles. Which when I worked it out comes to a disappointing 48mpg, even though the trip computer optimistically said it was 54mpg. I know trip computers very often arnt accurate, but thats a huge difference!!!

Most of it was motorway driving too. Will keep an eye on it!

Pleased your happy with the Juke they are a funny car to categorise. We get a lot of folks in looking at them as a alternative to a ford focus/fiesta, but the car is as you mentioned more a competitor to a Mini or a Citroen DS etc, and sadly the boot is a bit more style over substance. But they hold the value really well and you certainly get a lot of bang for your buck.

If you get bored of the performance, apparently you can re map the engine to produce some significant power increases.

Try PM'ing Falcon they may be able give you some more info :thumbs:

Best of luck

Fill up number 2, again worked out at 48mpg. The bulk of the missus`s driving is at 70mph on motorways etc..

Hit a problem with the Juke on Saturday morning. I thought id be "helpful" and fill her car up with diesel first thing whilst she was getting ready for work. (Translated means I fancied giving it a damn good thrashing in the snow). So I defrost the car and drive to the garage, the fuel gauge is off the scale as its so empty. Park up at the pump and can I get the filler cap open? Can I heck! Its frozen solid. No amount of de-icer or trying to heat the filler up would get it to pop open. So then I had to crawl back home hoping I wouldnt run out of diesel and pour a good kettle of boiling water all over the filler before it would pop open.

Will know next time!!!

Only other problem we have found with the Juke is that EVERYONE seems to want one now. Her friends mum made her drive around her house last week so she could sit in it, her boss now wants one, her other friend wants one..... maybe my missus should get commision?!!?!

Just over 1500miles on the clock now from new and its loosening up nicely. Still giving exactly 48mpg on a full tank of diesel which is a little disappointing as our 10 year old Peugeot 307 HDI shed returns exactly the same mpg and is worth 1/10th of the price.

I did quite a few miles in the Juke Saturday and quite enjoyed them. Its a nice car to drive. You do get a weird sense of being so high up though - looking out of the back window and you can see straight over the car behinds roof sometimes. Being FWD the traction wasnt great even though its got that 4x4 stance.

A big problem I found at the weekend is that there seems to be a hell of a turbo lag. For example, if your approaching a roundabout, rolling along, and you leave it in 2nd gear. Normally I would boot it and get on to the roundabout nice and quick if something is coming. Or at least thats been the case with my other cars. With the juke its a big no-no. Floor it in 2nd at a walking pace and there is absoultely nothing. Zilch. It kinda rolls forward as if someone is slowly pushing it, then the turbo kicks in and off you go. So, you find yourself having to drop down to 1st in order to get a quick rolling get away, which isnt ideal. Once the turbo is spining, there arnt any problems. I guess I could slip the clutch a bit, but didnt want to mess it up.

Still cant get over the lack of boot space though. We did a bit of shopping at the weekend, and litterally 4 shopping bags filled the boot. At least we dont loose the car in the car park. It kinda stands out a bit as you dont see many around our area.

My missus`s boss loves it so much after seeing my missus`s car, shes gone out last weekend and ordered a Juke for herself already! So soon there will be 2 in her works car park.

Saw a black juke identical to my missus`s this morning as I was driving along, so got ready to do the appropiate hand gestures in case it was my missus as I approached it, but luckily stopped myself at the last second when I realised that it was actually some grey haired 80 year old woman driving it and not my missus. Phew... that could have been *very* embaressing.

Found another strange problem with the juke yesterday. The passenger electric window seems to have a mind of its own. It goes down fine but just wouldnt go up. Then after a bit of banging of the door panel is may or may not go up. Its as if the switch is sticking. I noticed the red interior door trim seems a bit tight on the switch. Will have to investigate further at the w/end.

I think 48mpg is pretty good on a new derv engine. my 1.9 punto gets 45 on the rubbish twisty 1 hour route to work, but even on the motorway it won't get past 50mpg. It's maybe just the aerodynamics of the thing.

Well to put it into perspective from my last few diesel cars...

1997 Peugeot 1.5 Diesel (non turbo) done 165k miles. I was getting 56mpg out of it on my commute.

2000 Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI done 90k miles. I was getting 48mpg.

2001 VW Golf GT TDI 115bhp done 175k miles. I was getting 58->63mpg

2003 Peugeot 2.0 HDI 90bhp, done 112k miles. Getting 48->49mpg.

Brand spanking new Juke 1.5 Dci getting 48mpg on same commute. All driven in the same way on the same commute.

Personally id have thought that as technology improved over the years that newer diesel engines would have been more efficient and therefore get better mpg, not worse!

You might be right though with the aero dynamics thing. The front of the Juke is like a brick wall! :lol: Maybe thats why its getting lower mpg than some of the older sheds ive driven.

Found this:

We tried the 1.5-litre dCi diesel and turbocharged 1.6-litre DiG-T petrol engines. The former will make up a large chunk of Juke sales while the latter, with 187bhp, is aimed at those looking for hot-hatch performance.

The diesel does a great job at hauling the 1329kg Juke around. Its small capacity is only evident at very low revs, but once the turbo wakes up it’s more than willing. It’s not the most refined of units at tickover but settles down on the move. Its 0-62mph time of 11.2 seconds is reasonable although the Juke’s weight and below average aerodynamics mean that fuel consumption is some way behind its rivals at 46mpg combined. CO2 emission are also above average at 134g/km.

Those expecting Mini Cooper S levels of fun from the 1.6-litre turbo petrol may be a little disappointed. Its 0-62mph time of eight seconds sounds reasonable but in reality it never feels as though it’s packing 187bhp. It also sounds rather whiney at higher revs, a shame considering the higher reaches of the rev counter need to be explored to get the most out of it.

We’re left with the distinct impression the Juke’s dynamics have been compromised in terms of ride, handling and performance by its chunky looks. It’s undeniably heavier, less aerodynamic and with a higher centre of gravity than is ideal.

Good find AK350Z. Looks like Chris was right! The aerodynamics make it have crap mpg. And crap performance to some degree. 190bhp and 0-60 in 8 seconds is shocking when you think a lot of other cars are quicker than that with just 100bhp.

Had to laugh when I got home last night. It looks like the missus must have driven through a bit of mud or something, but its all sprayed up the side of the juke. Makes it looks like she has been doing some serious off roading or something! :lol:

I think 48mpg is pretty good on a new derv engine. my 1.9 punto gets 45 on the rubbish twisty 1 hour route to work, but even on the motorway it won't get past 50mpg. It's maybe just the aerodynamics of the thing.

Well to put it into perspective from my last few diesel cars...

1997 Peugeot 1.5 Diesel (non turbo) done 165k miles. I was getting 56mpg out of it on my commute.

2000 Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI done 90k miles. I was getting 48mpg.

2001 VW Golf GT TDI 115bhp done 175k miles. I was getting 58->63mpg

2003 Peugeot 2.0 HDI 90bhp, done 112k miles. Getting 48->49mpg.

Brand spanking new Juke 1.5 Dci getting 48mpg on same commute. All driven in the same way on the same commute.

Personally id have thought that as technology improved over the years that newer diesel engines would have been more efficient and therefore get better mpg, not worse!

You might be right though with the aero dynamics thing. The front of the Juke is like a brick wall! :lol: Maybe thats why its getting lower mpg than some of the older sheds ive driven.

I think it’s the curse of modern cars to a degree they are heavier and have more things stuffed into the exhausts and induction. Plus the aerodynamics play a big part too.

EG: I remember my Grandfather owning one of the first "Slippery" shaped Audi 100's in 1983.

This is a massive car, with a petrol 2.2 5cyl engine, it did 40 mpg all day long!! :lol:

The 1.5 diesel is an old Renault unit dating back to 2001 ;) I thought I read recently it was being replaced but I guess not.