Another clutch concern...advice please!

BACON

I know there has been a few posts recently about clutches and the owners needing to change them...I don't know if this is just a co-incidence that these posts have been appearing regularly recently or whether it is actually because there are perhaps a lot of Zeds now approaching the kind of miles where such an item needs replacing?

What I do know is this:

* Clutch is very now very heavy....seems to have worsened over the past few months

* Occassionally pedal gets stuck down and then thuds after its own release (generally after city driving)

* Biting point very high with little pedal movement left above this point

* Above biting point the pedal has a area of movement with no pressure (seemingly dead area)

* Gear changes very rough and jerky and not just in 1st / 2nd

* Tried a nippy pull-away on a roundabout the other day and felt as though the tyres were spinning and didnt move very quickly...to the point where traffic had to slow for me to get going (is this known as slipping?)

* My Zed now on 74k miles

The questions I have are:

1. Does this mean my clutch is on its way?

2. I think from reading all of the previous clutch threads, that my clutch is knackered :thumbdown: ....but could it be something else? i.e. Slave or master cylinder?

3. If I do require a new clutch, I understand a new flywheel is advised because of the damage it may have recieved during times when the clutch has slipped....but what brand is best? I know everyone will say :pmzmanalex: and I appreciate he does the Exeddy clutch and a choice of flywheels but how about a package like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F1-RACING-STA ... 4aa8b23b80

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I have learnt a huge amount over the past week or so about clutches from reading the other threads but I was hoping there may be a way to save a few pennies as I'm not sure how I can aford the best part of £900 - £1,000 at the moment :scare:

Best to stick with the Exedy clutch kit and Fidanza or OEM flywheels. :#1:

I can supply all other makes and brands but the Exedy is the way to go. :thumbs:

By your description I think that you may require a slave cyl as well mate.

I have all the above in stock for the VQ35DE and the later HR models.

The Exedy clutch kit and fly options will cost circa £600.00 for the DE.

Drop me a PM if I can help you further and if you have any technical questions then just let me know and I will talk them through with you. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Best to stick with the Exedy clutch kit and Fidanza or OEM flywheels. :#1:

I can supply all other makes and brands but the Exedy is the way to go. :thumbs:

By your description I think that you may require a slave cyl as well mate.

I have all the above in stock for the VQ35DE and the later HR models.

The Exedy clutch kit and fly options will cost circa £600.00 for the DE.

Drop me a PM if I can help you further and if you have any technical questions then just let me know and I will talk them through with you. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Thanks for the reply Alex, which points make you think I may also need a slave cylinder? Is there certain signs to look out for?

If I do need a slave cylinder, how much do these cost approx.....is it another part you can supply?

I had the clutch sticking down problem on my old 350z (I thought the pedal was jammed)

- changed the slave cylinder on Zmans advice - no more problem :thumbs:

It also stopped the slipping on fast pul away. This will only work if the clutch isn't actually going of course.

By your description your clutch is slipping and the clutch cover is failing which is giving you the heavy clutch.

The clutch pedal sticking down is a sure sign the the slave and fluid requires changing.

The slaves are £80.00 for the VQ35DE and are also a stock item. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

For a short term fix try greasing the slave cylinder, my pedal felt rough and was squeaky so got the guys at infinity glasgow to lift it up on there rig and grease it up (remove the rubber boot and stick some inside too.) Can be done on your drive or in your garage (unless your drive is at an angle and your garage has no room because 4wheels now take up all the room down the sides :bang: ) ive only driven it 40miles but its much better. :)