Lexan window kits

Jez @ H-Dev

Would any one be interested in Lexan / polycarbonate windows for their 350 or 370z?

I'm in talks with a company that produce motorsport window sets for people wanting to save weight over the heavy standard glass. I'm probably going to get a set for our track 350.

Retail prices are:

Rear window: £210

Door windows: £84 each

Rear quater windows: £54 each

Complete set: £461.70

Prices inc VAT but not delivery

If I can get a few people interested I might be able to get a group discount :)

Seems expensive to be honest. Had a bit of a cheaper price from a company online for a single supply of 370 + vat. So around 440 and would expect a group buy to be substantially cheaper for this sort of thing.

What company are you using ?

What thickness is the lexan?

Are the windows preformed with correct curvature?

Cheers

I've just found out that the company has two web sites with different prices:

http://lexan-windows.com/index.php/cata ... lt/?q=350z

http://www.plastics4performance.com/Lex ... 8-610-427/

The 2nd site has them up for £444 (£370+vat) and the other site has them for £461.70.

The thickness is 4mm - there are other options too. Tinted lexan, window sliders etc.

I'd imagine if we can get 2 people (3 including myself) I should be able to get us a discount.

If you can get a group buy price on these for around 3 people and let us know then I can let you know if I'm interested. Also, what about excluding the rear quarters as they're very small and a nightmare to change out for the weight saving?

Do you have a rough weight saving figure also?

I am genuinely looking at fitting these but not really wanting to rush as funds are tight and car isn't ready yet. If the price is good I will purchase now but if not I will wait until I get the car back.

Cheers

Neil

If you can get a group buy price on these for around 3 people and let us know then I can let you know if I'm interested. Also, what about excluding the rear quarters as they're very small and a nightmare to change out for the weight saving?

Do you have a rough weight saving figure also?

I am genuinely looking at fitting these but not really wanting to rush as funds are tight and car isn't ready yet. If the price is good I will purchase now but if not I will wait until I get the car back.

Cheers

Neil

I was just going to say I am sure Neil was talking about this on the forum not so long ago :thumbs:

Hi Jez, I will be interested too but not this month as i have been cleaned out at the Autosport show where i got race seats, harnesses, uprated my KW V3 to clubsports and bits and bobs for my cooling mods. Still need to get a bolt-on roll cage( head up Neil :teeth: ), subframe bushes and a general service & refresh including pads/disc/exhaust header camcoated and track tyres all by early April :scare:

Weight comparisons will be nice and i agree that the side quarter glass is unnecessary to swap :surrender: unless the discount is very good for a GB

Also are the lexan offering scratch proofed and UV protected?

How much weight would they save? And how are they to live with, are they comparable to glass?

I went on a track day recently, and someone there had an older audi S6. He'd removed the triple glazed glass on his car and saved nearly 200kg!!!

I'm not sure how much weight would be saved - I can get the weight of the new windows, but I'm not sure how much the standard windows weigh.

Would people want sliding openers in the front windows? Both, drivers or none? They'll add around £42 per window.

They'll be fairly scratch resistant, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them for a daily drive car and they will probably not be water tight. I wouldn't recommend using them with the electric window motors - if you want them to open you'll need to get the sliding openings.

Best price they can do on the door windows and rear is £299+vat - that with plain door windows with no sliders.

Lead time is currently 3 weeks - I'm not really ready to order at the moment - would people be interested at that price? Shipping will be around £35+vat.

This may sound like a silly question but what do the sliders actually do and where do they go. Just having a think as the 350z has frameless door, so, will it not be feasible to have lexan with rounded edges etc similar to the glass that will be a direct replacement?

What makes the sliders so expensive and hard to make watertight?

Cheers

Hmm you may be correct mate, I assume the standard lexan can still go up as down?

I wouldn't recommend it - although they're fairly tough they will get scratched up. This is why they offer the slider option.

And I assume if you want Lexan for weight saving reasons, you'd want to remove the window motor as I cant imagine they are light!