Cheaper to run a Zed then a shed !!

ioneabee

Suprising, seems our petrol over here is a tad cheaper than there at the moment. 98 octane, being about NZ$2.20 -2.30 a litre depending on which gas station.

One of my mates in the US was moaning that its costing him $50 to fill his car up now and he thought that was rediculous....

Suprising, seems our petrol over here is a tad cheaper than there at the moment. 98 octane, being about NZ$2.20 -2.30 a litre depending on which gas station.

One of my mates in the US was moaning that its costing him $50 to fill his car up now and he thought that was rediculous....

But everything in the US of A is 3 times further away. Trip to the corner shop means a 10 mile round-trip.

the way forward is not an eco diesel but an eco petrol.

there are new engines out now that do 50+ mpg from a petrol engine so you can use the cheapest fuel and still do good miles.

just looking at the stats on a long drive the latest golf GTI which isn;t that much slower than the zed on a long drive can do over 40 mpg and it doesn;t need 98 ron fuel either. same with the sirrocco GT.

smaller turbo engines seem to be the new way forward.

So whilst super unleaded is roughly the same price as diesel im getting twice the fuel economy. If I used the shed for 12 months work commuting, i would save around £3250 on fuel alone.

BUT when do you drive the Zed? I'm having this problem - I've got a diesel clio but I never drive it unless its icy or snow or really bad weather. Soon as it's dry i'm in the zed which costs a fortune. I'm now wondering whether its worth keeping the clio at all because I just can't stop myself driving the zed!

So whilst super unleaded is roughly the same price as diesel im getting twice the fuel economy. If I used the shed for 12 months work commuting, i would save around £3250 on fuel alone.

BUT when do you drive the Zed? I'm having this problem - I've got a diesel clio but I never drive it unless its icy or snow or really bad weather. Soon as it's dry i'm in the zed which costs a fortune. I'm now wondering whether its worth keeping the clio at all because I just can't stop myself driving the zed!

Exactly. Its a toss up between what do you want really. Do you drive the zed in the week for work, which costs you more and you spend most of the time sat there in traffic not enjoying the driving experience of the zed - or do you save some money by driving a shed and leave an expensive car sitting in the driveway just for weekend use... its a fine balance really.

For the last 12 months ive used the zed nearly every day and put a lot of mileage on it on my daily commute, so am trying the other approach over the next few months. So far im finding when I do drive the zed I enjoy it more!